PDA

View Full Version : DSR: DX10 Bliss at 1920x1080

TheFamilyMan
November 1st, 2014, 11:58
Here is what I've found, with a tip from SteveW at avsim, about how to maximize image quality using nividia's DSR in DX10 using a gtx 780 driving full screen at 1920 x 1080 with the 344.48 driver.

The first thing is to enable the 4x DSR factor (3x is almost as good; I didn't try anything less than 3x) and set DSR smoothness to 23% (any less introduced jaggies and any more blurred texture details) in the nvidia control panel. Then if you have DX10 AA and AF settings which you currently like dialed in with NI (or nvidia control panel) and Steve's Fixer program, leave them be except get rid of using transparency supersampling AA where ever you have it enabled. No need to change any other setting anywhere, other than the screen resolution setting in FSX. When DSR is enabled, the effective factor resolution will show up in the FSX screen resolution settings and it must be selected to see the benefit of DSR. The image quality I get using these setting is stunning both inside and outside the VC; I almost fell out my chair when I flew over some high quality photo scenery. My gtx 780 hits a max usage of about 80% using these setting with dense cloud cover; with the added bonus that since SSGS AA is not used, dense cloud cover no longer hammers performance as it once did since Steve's fixer disables standard AA for clouds. In lesser cloud cover the max usage was less than 60%.

When I first tried DSR, I treated it as an AA cure all, which it's not and only got marginal results using it as such. Having AA and AF setting enabled with DSR is essential for creating jaw dropping image quality. Unfortunately lesser gcards may not get away with these settings, but for those with a 770 or better, give it a try.

Naismith
November 1st, 2014, 23:41

No one else responded so I thought I would run a test with your settings. Bear in mind I have a Geforce 660GTX only (being impoverished :untroubled:) There is some blurriness evident in some of the shots but that may be due to rapid changing of views externally. Overall though I was quite pleased with the results and the sim seemed smoother too. That was the Capt Sim B707 which is quite heavy on the frames normally I believe, I tried after with the Level D B767 and was equally impressed, then several freeware portovers.
I will keep the settings.
Thanks for pointing them out.

PC is a I7 2600K 16GbRAM MB Asus P8 Z68. FYI.

As to why my pics come out small I have no clue they are taken at 1920 x 1080.

sleightflight
November 2nd, 2014, 01:00
Where can I find the DSR setting as in is it in inspector ? I also have a GTX780 so I would like to give iit a try.
Thanks.

ncooper
November 2nd, 2014, 01:42
First you must update your driver to 344.48, then you will find
it in the Nvidia Control panel under Manage 3D settings.

Regards,
Nick.

odourboy
November 2nd, 2014, 04:21
I believe you must also install GeForce Experience in order for the DSR settings to show up (in Global Settings tab).

sleightflight
November 2nd, 2014, 04:51
Hi thanks yes I had all the latest geforce drivers etc and I have found it.
you mentioned turning off transparency supersampling, is this in global settings, nvidia inspector or DX10 fixer setting.
Reason im asking is I turned it off in inspector and my trees had a really bad shimmering going on.

Adamski_NZ
November 2nd, 2014, 05:49
I believe you must also install GeForce Experience in order for the DSR settings to show up (in Global Settings tab).

Nope! No need for that or PhysX or 3D stuff.

The problem is that DSR has spawned discussions in many different places ... so people need to search around a bit for other snippets of advice or "reviews".

I tried it (it was quite easy) but didn't find any *massive* improvement in quality ... BUT ... it did help with framerates in cloudy conditions (as we can disable SGSS). Also - the "V" screengrabs are at full resolution, so if you're into "arty" screenshots (I am!!) .... then you get a really hi-res image that scales down well (more information to interpolate with).

However - I find the tiny menus trade-off too much of a sacrifice. I need to read weather info from OPUS screens to enter into my MCDUs. I can temporarily drop back into windowed mode to read text at its normal size, but it's a bit of a nuisance!

Adam.

TheFamilyMan
November 2nd, 2014, 06:12
(snip) However - I find the tiny menus trade-off too much of a sacrifice. I need to read weather info from OPUS screens to enter into my MCDUs. I can temporarily drop back into windowed mode to read text at its normal size, but it's a bit of a nuisance!

Adam.
I too find this very annoying. Even the VC GPS now has tiny characters/symbols on its readout which is what bothers me the most. Maybe someone will find a config setting for this font size, for I may also decide that it's not worth it in the long run. But at least for me it'll be tough to go back: life <=> eyecandy ;-)

Edit: According to google it seems adjusting font sizes in FSX has been asked about since FSX first launch. The consensus is its hard coded :-(

sleightflight
November 2nd, 2014, 06:28
I found my image is better with 4x sgss in DX10.
I am either doing something wrong or DSR doesn't agree with my FSX.

TheFamilyMan
November 2nd, 2014, 06:52
I am either doing something wrong or DSR doesn't agree with my FSX.
In FSX, did you select the DSR resolution in the screen resolution setting? Without doing that there is no DSR being applied. Adam pointed out its nasty side effect, which you'll notice right away if you've got it set up correctly.

lownslo
November 2nd, 2014, 07:28

+1 The small text and menus are just too much for these old eyes. It is nice, though, to not have the performance hit that SGSS brings while flying in clouds. Evenso, I'm back to 4X SGSS.

Greg

sleightflight
November 2nd, 2014, 10:10
I selected DSR 4 in the nvidia control panel and 23 % underneath, then saved settings.
I didn't notice the small menu problem so maybe I did something wrong.

lownslo
November 2nd, 2014, 10:44

Me thinks you did something right!

Just curious... how do you have your monitor connected to the video card? I use a DVI-I cable for my HP2475w/GTX 770 combo? Might be helpful if others chimed in with their connections, too.

Thanks,

Greg

ncooper
November 2nd, 2014, 12:40
I selected DSR 4 in the nvidia control panel and 23 % underneath, then saved settings.

Then you have to go to Change Resolution.
You will see a list of the DSR resolutions you
activated at the top.
Select one and click apply.
If you chose 4x, you will probably need a
magnifying glass to read further.
However, your FSX picture should be pin
sharp.

Regards,
Nick.

odourboy
November 2nd, 2014, 13:05
Nope! No need for that or PhysX or 3D stuff.

The problem is that DSR has spawned discussions in many different places ... so people need to search around a bit for other snippets of advice or "reviews".

I tried it (it was quite easy) but didn't find any *massive* improvement in quality ... BUT ... it did help with framerates in cloudy conditions (as we can disable SGSS). Also - the "V" screengrabs are at full resolution, so if you're into "arty" screenshots (I am!!) .... then you get a really hi-res image that scales down well (more information to interpolate with).

However - I find the tiny menus trade-off too much of a sacrifice. I need to read weather info from OPUS screens to enter into my MCDUs. I can temporarily drop back into windowed mode to read text at its normal size, but it's a bit of a nuisance!

Adam.
Good to have this confirmed. I'm uninstalling GeForce Experience immediately! :-)

sleightflight
November 3rd, 2014, 14:41
Ok I will have another look.
Thanks.
I am connected via HDMI.

heywooood
November 3rd, 2014, 19:40
dunno if it will help anyone else but you can increase text size overall by right clicking on your desktop - selecting screen resolution - and down toward the bottom left "make text size and other items larger or smaller"
and increase to maximum...it helps with the menus in FSX a lil' bit - better than nothing...

so far this is the new best mod for FSX I have seen and it really does work on two fronts - image quality and FPS in weather conditions...two key elements of improvement needless to say...but I said it anyway

a Big Thank You to TheFamilyMan for this HU on our forum - great find !

Adamski_NZ
November 3rd, 2014, 21:17
dunno if it will help anyone else but you can increase text size overall by right clicking on your desktop - selecting screen resolution - and down toward the bottom left "make text size and other items larger or smaller" and increase to maximum...it helps with the menus in FSX a lil' bit - better than nothing...

Though this changes everything on the *desktop*, it does nothing for in-FSX menus or dialog/info boxes. When I minimise FSX (for instance to change my OPUS weather or camera settings) I get my normal desktop resolution anyway - it's totally independent of the high resolution (DSR) FSX window. In fact, when FSX is in a window (and therefore DSR doesn't kick in), all my menus/info boxes are normal - so I use that as a quick "kludge" to view tiny text.

Some other observations:

1) The smoothness slider (and other settings in the left-hand "Manage 3D settings/Global Settings" nVidia CP tab) are *dynamic* - and will change the image in FSX after minimising/maximising. The other settings (Program Settings: game-specific/profile tab) need an FSX restart.

2) When saving images using the traditional "V" key, some of the effects from the left-hand Manage 3D settings tab (notably smoothness) aren't saved - though the image is in glorious full resolution. In other words, the effects are output "on the fly" by the GPU to your display only.

Adam.

heywooood
November 4th, 2014, 07:31
thats interesting - because increasing text size as I referred to does work for me in FSX menus, ATC etc...without the adjustment I absolutely cannot read them, but with the change, I can

perhaps it isnt so much an increase in size of the fonts but in the boldness thus clarity of them that are enhanced by the setting...at least on my end

I agree with your other findings however

Adamski_NZ
November 4th, 2014, 16:02
thats interesting - because increasing text size as I referred to does work for me in FSX menus, ATC etc...without the adjustment I absolutely cannot read them, but with the change, I can

perhaps it isnt so much an increase in size of the fonts but in the boldness thus clarity of them that are enhanced by the setting...at least on my end

Just to be sure - on your system - this is when FSX is in full-screen mode and not in a window?

It may be something to do with enabling/disabling the Aero theme <?>.

I use an FSUIPC command to re-enable Aero on FSX startup (as FSX disables it by default). There's a good article about that here: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/423474-dx10-steves-fixer-and-aero-theme/

Adam.

heywooood
November 4th, 2014, 19:51
Just to be sure - on your system - this is when FSX is in full-screen mode and not in a window?

It may be something to do with enabling/disabling the Aero theme <?>.

I use an FSUIPC command to re-enable Aero on FSX startup (as FSX disables it by default). There's a good article about that here: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/423474-dx10-steves-fixer-and-aero-theme/

Adam.

yes full screen - I do not use the windowed method.
I use Steves Fixer but have never considered Aero one way or the other...I do not re-enable it if FSX shuts it off then it is off when I use FSX
Isnt Aero just a series of useless visual gimmicks, fades images on switching, drop shadows around icons, themes and a whatnot...? all the stuff I shut off on purpose to streamline Win7...? I like a gray taskbar...

gratuitous screenshot of the Zlin at O85 near Redding with DSR enabled

Adamski_NZ
November 4th, 2014, 22:06
yes full screen - I do not use the windowed method.
I use Steves Fixer but have never considered Aero one way or the other...I do not re-enable it if FSX shuts it off then it is off when I use FSX
Isnt Aero just a series of useless visual gimmicks, fades images on switching, drop shadows around icons, themes and a whatnot...? all the stuff I shut off on purpose to streamline Win7...? I like a gray taskbar...

I agree about gimmicky eye candy. However - if you read through to near the bottom of the first page of that topic/link, you'll see some people reported that they need to have it re-enabled. Maybe it's because they use Aero as their desktop theme - and switching from Aero to non-Aero is the problem <?>.

I just checked my desktop - looks like I don't actually have Aero running as my desktop. I still have an FSUIPC script running to turn it on, though ... hmmm .. shouldn't be there!

Adam.

heywooood
November 5th, 2014, 07:37
I agree about gimmicky eye candy. However - if you read through to near the bottom of the first page of that topic/link, you'll see some people reported that they need to have it re-enabled. Maybe it's because they use Aero as their desktop theme - and switching from Aero to non-Aero is the problem <?>.

I just checked my desktop - looks like I don't actually have Aero running as my desktop. I still have an FSUIPC script running to turn it on, though ... hmmm .. shouldn't be there!

Adam.

I will defer to your expertise on the matter, Adam - you have done more qualitative experimenting than I have.

I'm more of a dartboard hack when it comes to most PC issues - but - for whatever reason, the slight enhancement of switching the settings in the screen resolution interface to make text and icons larger is the difference between me being able to see and read the now fine print in FSX menu items, and not.

Adamski_NZ
November 5th, 2014, 14:23
I'm more of a dartboard hack when it comes to most PC issues - but - for whatever reason, the slight enhancement of switching the settings in the screen resolution interface to make text and icons larger is the difference between me being able to see and read the now fine print in FSX menu items, and not.

This one has me stumped! I tried again last night - with and without the Aero re-enable. I get larger fonts etc. on the desktop - and the settings apply to other applications (like OPUS) that are in supplementary windows, but the text in FSX menus when in full-screen mode (and DSR operating) is unchanged. I wonder how you have your system set up that you get it working and I don't :lol:.

However - increasing the font size makes a bit of a mess of my desktop - as well as over-enlarging any other application I choose to run (other than FSX) so I'm not likely to use this "fix". It's easier for me to quickly drop FSX into windowed mode when I want to read the small print!

Adam.

heywooood
November 5th, 2014, 18:51
This one has me stumped! I tried again last night - with and without the Aero re-enable. I get larger fonts etc. on the desktop - and the settings apply to other applications (like OPUS) that are in supplementary windows, but the text in FSX menus when in full-screen mode (and DSR operating) is unchanged. I wonder how you have your system set up that you get it working and I don't :lol:.

However - increasing the font size makes a bit of a mess of my desktop - as well as over-enlarging any other application I choose to run (other than FSX) so I'm not likely to use this "fix". It's easier for me to quickly drop FSX into windowed mode when I want to read the small print!

Adam.

my desktop is unaffected by my alteration - the only discernible change I have is the mouse pointer is swollen to double its normal size
maybe the difference is in the DSR setting - I have it at 2x(1980x1200) for 2715x1627 @ 33% smoothness net res. on my HP monitor and I have beautiful images with no hit to my FPS / in fact - I have an average 10-15% increase in FPS overall from prior to the DSR tweak
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/heywooood/2014-11-5_15-2-22-170_zps4d5b6313.png (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/heywooood/media/2014-11-5_15-2-22-170_zps4d5b6313.png.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/heywooood/2014-11-3_9-17-30-878_zps3a247a99.png (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/heywooood/media/2014-11-3_9-17-30-878_zps3a247a99.png.html)

heywooood
November 5th, 2014, 19:07
I had tried 3x and 4x @ 23% as the OP suggested but there was no way I was going to be able to read those fonts - not to mention my GPU load was spiking, my FPS was jittery from 8FPS - 31FPS as an idea of the level of stuttering I was getting.

I noticed the OP said he DID NOT try anything less than 3x with an absolute 23% smoothness as the ONLY recommended number to use....I scoffed - I tried the 2x @ 33% and I am in a whole new world of FSX bliss

Adamski_NZ
November 5th, 2014, 20:50
... and great screenshots they are too!

Here's some eye-candy from me! DSR mode active:

http://s20.postimg.org/4orcutxh9/b25_shadows_01_151_1280.jpg

Adam.

heywooood
November 5th, 2014, 21:09
thats a real nice shot of the Billy Mitchell - nice skin too

rvn817j
November 6th, 2014, 05:50
First I will give some background - Rig = AMD FX8350, small OC to 4.2 GHz, GTX 760 with driver 344.60. I'm mostly running GEX UTX around my area (Minneapolis, MN), but once in awhile I shift to FTX Yellowstone or Jackson Hole.

I have gone through Adamski_NZ's setup manual for DX10 and purchased Steve's DX10 Fixer. Prior to that I got 15 - 30 FPS with OK graphics. After setting up DX10 stuff there was a "pop" in my graphics, but not a stupendously great pop. BUT...it was better!

I just did the DSR thing to 3X and 23%. First thing I noticed was in settings that allowed me a great resolution 3325x2078x32. Anybody know where that came from? I picked it to give it a try. Loaded my old faithful Lancair Legacy and took a spin. There was another "POP" in graphics. I'm still getting a smooth 15 to 30 FPS, but definitely more eye candy. I also have the tiny text, but I'm OK with that. Another question for those that might know...why do some of my roads have "jaggies"? Some are very good and some are not. (And I do have traffic that run pretty smoothly so I might try trading some traffic for FPS.)

Another question for those that may have an opinion - would a higher resolution monitor make a difference (mine is 1920x1200). (I just noticed on my screen resolution selection panel I have 3325x2078 selectable!)

My bottom line is that I'm very pleased with the transition from where I started before Adamski_NZ's setup manual, Steve's DX10 Fixer and the DSR fix. Good stuff. (TIA for any answers to my questions.)

Edit to add photo and comment:

See photo above for road jaggies (and the sign from Mall of America - better in the pix on my computer, but right side of photo by empennage). Can the road jaggies problem be solved? (How do I upload photo with better resolution?)

Adamski_NZ
November 6th, 2014, 06:34
DX10+Fixer won't give you substantially better framerates - but it will give you better graphics (you can probably move all sliders one notch better) - and less OOMs.

I also have a 1920*1200 monitor. What DSR is doing (on the fly) is using the full resolution FSX is set to (3325x2078 in your case) then downsampling it to a mere 1920*1200 ... BUT ... because there's more information to work with, the resulting image is better quality. The same would be true if you downsized/resampled an image in a decent photo editor (like Photoshop). I'm amazed that the graphics card can do all this so quickly (and smoothly) - and still process HD clouds better than before. I'm adding a section on DSR to the "How-To", when I can work out how to put all this DSR stuff into simple language!

I don't think your image would be *that* much better on a larger monitor - not sure - anyone?

The "jaggies" will more than likely be just poor resolution scenery tiles. If you can read off that SLEW info from the top left, I'll see what I get on my system - providing it's either default FSX or a scenery area I own.

Adam.

rvn817j
November 6th, 2014, 07:40
Thanks. I was using GEX UTX (North America). Do you have that? (I assume you may not.) If you do I will send the coordinates.

lownslo
November 6th, 2014, 07:54
Another question for those that may have an opinion - would a higher resolution monitor make a difference (mine is 1920x1200). (I just noticed on my screen resolution selection panel I have 3325x2078 selectable!)

Technically, yes a higher res monitor would help (even though Nvidia claims that DSR will better benefit lower res monitors). Starting at a higher res and then using DSR will simply result in a higher res image with the oversampling of DSR. The FSX image we see on our 1920 x 1200 monitors today looks better than what we had ten years ago with FS at 1024 x 768 monitors.

Regarding your jaggies, you can go back into Nvidia Control Panel and enable more resolutions that will then show up for you to choose in the FSX Graphics menu. Try different multipliers and slider settings to get an image you like. Also, you can combine AA settings with the different DSR resolutions... for example, you might find that 2X DSR+some Slider % with some level of AA in Nvidia Inspector looks better to you.

Keep in mind, too, that shooting pics at a high DSR setting+no AA will result in more jaggies than what we see in the moving image as we fly. The screen capture will simply have no AA, so the only thing smoothing the image is the high DSR res. It may or may not deal with the jaggies we see in screenshots depending upon our hardware and image settings.

HTH,

Greg

TheFamilyMan
November 6th, 2014, 08:45
My OP was aimed specially and only at my setup: a gtx 780 driving a 1920x1080 panel. I listed only what I found worked best for this setup. It was not meant as a comprehensive guide for any computer (which maybe Adam will take care of this soon). I thought that this was really the only thing I could reasonably post for any other information on hardware which I did not own would be 100% conjecture. But as a rule of thumb, as one decreases the DSR factor the smoothing must be increased to knock out the jaggies. The downside to doing this is that more detail is blurred as you move to lower DSR factors. The bottom line is for any card less than a gtx 780 you probably have to tune the DSR settings I listed to your preference; just beware that at a certain point DSR may become a diminishing return such that placebo effect starts creeping in. I would have added all this text to my OP if I could so edit it.

@ rvn817j:
I use UTX as well and have no overall problem with roads as you show. But I have seen this jaggy roadway stuff happen in some areas before; I think it's an artifact of how FSX deals with making a straight road texture into a road that is bending ever so slightly. Trying flying over the same area with your pre DSR settings. I bet you'll find the same jagginess. People got to remember that DSR can't fix everything.

@ Adam:
That is one fine shot!

rvn817j
November 6th, 2014, 09:28
Went back into the DX10 How To / Setup guide to make sure I was setting up AA properly. I had it OK, but made one tweak for my GTX 770. I set AA to 8x in nVidia Insp. and messed around a little with DSR. I ended up with DSR to 3.00x / 23%. Except for a few road jaggies now and then it is working very well and smooth. (I might have to wear my reading glasses to read the text, but that is a trade I'm willing to make.)

Edit: Now a gratuitous picture of me in my favorite airplane:

ncooper
November 6th, 2014, 09:56
The bottom line is for any card less than a gtx 780 you probably have to tune the DSR settings to your preference.

A humble GTX 570 can handle 4.00x, 3360x2100 (16:10 monitor) even with 4xSGSS set in Nvidia Inspector.
It makes a colossal screen shot though, this one is resized down to 1000x625

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2014/11/06/i7Egl.jpg

This is what it says top left, blurred because I have had to
resize it up enough to read.

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2014/11/06/D2US.jpg

Regards,
Nick

rvn817j
November 6th, 2014, 09:59
Great shot Nick. How do you insert shots here at SOH at higher resolution?

ncooper
November 6th, 2014, 10:09
A good question, I tried to attach the original in .jpg format but now I think it might have been better
to zip it up and let anyone who wants to download and view it at their end.
The original .bmp file was 26 MB!
The reduced one makes the point in this case, I think.

Regards,
Nick

Adamski_NZ
November 6th, 2014, 12:41
Thanks. I was using GEX UTX (North America). Do you have that? (I assume you may not.) If you do I will send the coordinates.

I don't have any GEX, I'm afraid. Only ORBX areas: NZSI/NZNI/NZMF/NZQN/AUS/YSCB/YMML/YSCH/ENG/PNW/PFJ/NCA.

As others have said, it's more likely to be a scenery problem than an antialiasing/DSR one.

Adam.

noddy
November 6th, 2014, 13:27
http://imageshack.com/a/img673/2718/Y2bOgl.jpghttp://imageshack.com/a/img540/342/Ui1k74.jpg

Taken at 4x with a GTX680

rvn817j
November 7th, 2014, 13:01
I have an older computer with a Core2Duo CPU running Vista into which I installed a GTX 660 several months ago. It runs FSX adequately and I use it once in awhile if I am at the place where that computer resides. With all this DSR talk I was by that computer and tried to turn it on. Surprise, no ability to select it even though I'm running the most recent video driver. Can anyone confirm which cards DSR is available on? TIA

lownslo
November 7th, 2014, 13:34
The GTX 660 being a Kepler GPU should work fine with DSR. First thing I'd try is a driver reinstall after thorough removal. DDU works well in Safe Mode, and is very easy to use: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html Then reinstall the drivers without all the nVidia bloat... since FS is the only "game" I use, I only install the driver itself.

HTH

Greg

TheFamilyMan
November 12th, 2014, 21:18
The latest Steve's Fixer has a fix for some of the DSR tiny screen text, but unfortunately it does not fix the tiny menus nor GPS text/icons. It can also kill the sun blinding if you find that bothersome.

Here's some gratuitous eye candy, over MSE2 Utah in the A2A P-51, enjoy!

http://i58.tinypic.com/2e3oj75.jpg

Adamski_NZ
November 13th, 2014, 01:27
Here's some gratuitous eye candy, over MSE2 Utah in the A2A P-51, enjoy!

Nice!!

Adam.

manfredc3
February 1st, 2015, 16:24
I have always stayed away from DX10 due to it's scenery and aircraft compatibility issues.

But reading this post and one about that DX10 fixer program, I might actually bite the bullet and give DX10 a second chance.

I know that my rig should have no issues with that, considering it holds a i7 2600K processor @4.5GHz, and a factory Super Clocked GTX 770 w 4Gb ram.

rvn817j
February 2nd, 2015, 13:30
I have always stayed away from DX10 due to it's scenery and aircraft compatibility issues.

But reading this post and one about that DX10 fixer program, I might actually bite the bullet and give DX10 a second chance.

I know that my rig should have no issues with that, considering it holds a i7 2600K processor @4.5GHz, and a factory Super Clocked GTX 770 w 4Gb ram.

Follow Adam's guide and you will be absolutely stunned at the results you get. DX10Fixer was one of the best FSX items I have purchased.

sleightflight
March 28th, 2015, 08:05
Finally got back to trying DSR, I'm going to do some testing now to see what settings suit my system.

rvn817j
April 10th, 2015, 17:46
Finally got back to trying DSR, I'm going to do some testing now to see what settings suit my system.

Please report back with your results.

Adamski_NZ
April 10th, 2015, 18:27
I found my ancient system was simply too slow to cope with running DSR at higher levels (ie. enough to make a real difference) all the time.

My solution is to run at normal (windowed mode) most of the time, then flip into full-screen mode (ie. DSR) whenever I want to take a hi-res screenshot. I reckon I get the best out of both worlds that way!

Adam.

heywooood
April 12th, 2015, 09:13
I found my ancient system was simply too slow to cope with running DSR at higher levels (ie. enough to make a real difference) all the time.

My solution is to run at normal (windowed mode) most of the time, then flip into full-screen mode (ie. DSR) whenever I want to take a hi-res screenshot. I reckon I get the best out of both worlds that way!

Adam.

Try setting the DSR at 2.5x native - then - set FSX resolution to your monitors native res...IE: I set DSR @ 3x native 3325x1871 - I then set FSX to my monitors native res 1920 x 1080
This trick works - I still have a high resolution for FSX and I get the benefit of higher FPS that come with running a much lower than "native" resolution in FSX

win win

Adamski_NZ
April 12th, 2015, 21:07
Try setting the DSR at 2.5x native - then - set FSX resolution to your monitors native res...IE: I set DSR @ 3x native 3325x1871 - I then set FSX to my monitors native res 1920 x 1080
This trick works - I still have a high resolution for FSX and I get the benefit of higher FPS that come with running a much lower than "native" resolution in FSX

I tried that, but if I set FSX to my native resolution (1900 x 1200) and flip between full screen and windowed mode, nothing happens. Basically, DSR mode (currently 3x) doesn't kick in at all.

What am I doing wrong?

Adam.

heywooood
April 13th, 2015, 10:33
I tried that, but if I set FSX to my native resolution (1900 x 1200) and flip between full screen and windowed mode, nothing happens. Basically, DSR mode (currently 3x) doesn't kick in at all.

What am I doing wrong?

Adam.

I don't know...I don't use the windowed mode at all. All I know is that if I set the DSR to 2.5 or 3x native, and I set FSX to that resolution- I have lower FPS...But if I then reduce the resolution in FSX to my monitors native resolution, I have very smooth, consistent FPS and performance... much better than if I don't use DSR at all and run
native res. throughout

Dimus
April 13th, 2015, 11:29
When you get back to your native res then you actually deactivate DSR. DSR is ''on'' only if you have selected the respective resolution in FSX i.e. for 3x it should be 3325x1871. Although activated in Nvidia control panel it is actually ''off'' when you set 1920x1080.

Adamski_NZ
April 13th, 2015, 20:27
When you get back to your native res then you actually deactivate DSR. DSR is ''on'' only if you have selected the respective resolution in FSX i.e. for 3x it should be 3325x1871. Although activated in Nvidia control panel it is actually ''off'' when you set 1920x1080.
That's quite correct. I usually flip between native/non-DSR/windowed/1920x1200 to fullscreen/DSR/3325x1871 with no problem.

Heywoood seemed to be saying that the 3xDSR setting could somehow still be active even when in 1920 resolution - unless I read the post all wrong (wouldn't be the first time, LOL!).

Adam.

heywooood
April 13th, 2015, 20:46
That's quite correct. I usually flip between native/non-DSR/windowed/1920x1200 to fullscreen/DSR/3325x1871 with no problem.

Heywoood seemed to be saying that the 3xDSR setting could somehow still be active even when in 1920 resolution - unless I read the post all wrong (wouldn't be the first time, LOL!).

Adam.

well if that were true - then wouldn't the desktop resolution revert to non DSR?
my understanding is that with the DSR on and the FSX resolution reduced, its a matter of scaling, that allows the GPU to render frames with reduced effort

Naismith
April 13th, 2015, 22:20
Here is a YT vid I received today from Hardware Canucks explaining DSR in depth.

https://youtu.be/sLXZxptHXuc

Hopefully some may find it useful

heywooood
May 14th, 2015, 21:10
Here is a YT vid I received today from Hardware Canucks explaining DSR in depth.

https://youtu.be/sLXZxptHXuc

Hopefully some may find it useful

I viewed it - and thank you for the link.

I have to stand by what I said before though - in my case..setting the Nvidia resolution multiplier to (2x) native - then setting the FSX resolution to my monitors real native of 1920x1080 gives me the best results.
I have tried using the higher resolutions in FSX settings and just do not get the smoothness or rate of FPS that I do when running FSX at the lower number - but the image IS much better

in other words - if I leave all alone and run my monitor at its default resolution of 1920x1080 AND set FSX at 1920x1080 I have an image that is less defined and FPS that are less consistent, than if I double the monitors native resolution with the Nvidia control panel but leave FSX at 1920x1080

the only anomaly with this is that - on loading - the little loading bar is offset from the center of the screen and the mouse-look feature using the spacebar and mouse to pan the camera is also offset (no longer centered - but still functions with the exception that panning to the right of center is reduced) - but panning with the hat switch is unaffected...I do not use TrackIR