PDA

View Full Version : HU: New KNFW and KCVS

dhazelgrove
November 1st, 2014, 08:18
Allen Laughmiller has uploaded new versions of his Fort Worth (KNFW) and Cannon (KCVS) AFBs on AVSIM.
Lots of new objects.

Dave

jandmbear
November 1st, 2014, 08:26
Allen Laughmiller has uploaded new versions of his Fort Worth (KNFW) and Cannon (KCVS) AFBs on AVSIM.
Lots of new objects.

Dave

Thanks for the head's up. Being a Fort Worth boy, I'm all over this one!

falcon409
November 1st, 2014, 09:41
Large bases like NAS Ft Worth are difficult to do, mainly because there are so many buildings. I found that out in my attempt at KNFW. At what point do you decide enough is enough, lol. This scenery get's around that somewhat by using default buildings so the general placement appears close and it is a fair representation of the base and the Lockheed/Martin complex across the runway. I did notice in the pics though that the Control Tower is in the wrong spot (unless they tore it down and moved it since 2007). Looking at the aerial imagery it looks like he mistook a radar array near the old weapons storage bunkers as the tower as it casts a long shadow and the actual tower is less conspicuous. Otherwise it looks like a good effort to at least improve on the default which no one else has seen fit to do (other than my failed attempt).

henrystreet
November 1st, 2014, 12:22
Large bases like NAS Ft Worth are difficult to do, mainly because there are so many buildings.

True that. I found out with my KNLC scenery. Even doing just the whole OPS area would have turned into an Aerosoft MegaScenery monster with lots of performance issues.

thetford569
November 1st, 2014, 17:57
Falcon,

I haven't seen the scenery but they did actually tear the old tower down and built a new one a few years ago. The new one is taller than the older one and further North closer to the C-40 and KC-130 ramps I believe.

Brandon

falcon409
November 1st, 2014, 20:48
Falcon,

I haven't seen the scenery but they did actually tear the old tower down and built a new one a few years ago. The new one is taller than the older one and further North closer to the C-40 and KC-130 ramps I believe.
Brandon
Well, I'll be. . .it's obviously been a long time since I was down there. Sometimes they'll have a Commanders Call or Change of Command Ceremony in the hangar and then post pictures on the 301st FB Page. . .I look through all the faces in the crowd and it's rare anymore for me to be able to pick out anybody I know. A few guys still in my shop, but a ton of new faces.

txnetcop
November 2nd, 2014, 04:45
Lived in Arlington I know I'll want this...Thank you:jump:
Ted

dhazelgrove
November 2nd, 2014, 08:00
http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2014/11/02/GeS5D.jpg

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2014/11/02/xS4pa.jpg

The MAIW package for Cannon AFB works well in FSX - with the usual caveats and conversions.
There doesn't seem to be one for Fort Worth, though.

Dave

falcon409
November 2nd, 2014, 09:05
Falcon,
Brandon
Some locations for the 301st side. . .everything south of the original Tower Location is Navy/Marines and Army (also where the KC-130's and C-40's reside). I spoke with my old Shop Chief this morning and when I asked if they had moved the tower, his response was "barely". So they may have moved it slightly north, as it was originally tied into the Ops buildings next to the Fire Department. I don't think "barely" would put it where it shows in the latest scenery though.

thetford569
November 2nd, 2014, 12:54
Some locations for the 301st side. . .everything south of the original Tower Location is Navy/Marines and Army (also where the KC-130's and C-40's reside). I spoke with my old Shop Chief this morning and when I asked if they had moved the tower, his response was "barely". So they may have moved it slightly north, as it was originally tied into the Ops buildings next to the Fire Department. I don't think "barely" would put it where it shows in the latest scenery though.

Here's a pic of the new tower....its right by the KC-130 ramp....he's got the position sort of right but it needs to be further South actually.

Brandon

Victory103
November 3rd, 2014, 07:05
Dave,
To populate NFW you need the following packages from MAIW:

Southwest ANG: 136th AW, 301st FW
Reserve Hornets: VMFA-112
USN/USMC Airliners: VR-59
USN/USMC C-130: VMGR-234

Lot's of transients as well, although most will go up the road to KAFW.

http://www.owlsnest.eu/maiw.php for info/packages.

Most of the FS9 built scenery will work in FSX, but Allen has done a great job incorporating the MAIW AI in his FSX built stuff.