PDA

View Full Version : Vicker Vimy FREE Textures

GarryJSmith
October 24th, 2014, 14:53
Hi Good People,

Just a quick heads up on some FREE liveries for the Microsoft Default Vicker Vimy aircraft.

http://www.ford-tri-motor.net/Vickers-Vimy/images/Vickers-Others.jpg

Yes, a very slow and low aircraft which does not give much excitement for us simmers - however, this is an aircraft that was instrumental in the expansion of aviation and she made some historical contributions to worldwide aviation.

The Ford Project team has created a batch of liveries representing a range of international use for this girl - just 13 FREEBIES for this run - but some pretty good eye candy while your flying low and slow......

Some are revamps and some are creative renditions of liveries that were or could have been used for fledgling organisations of the era.

Where do you get them:
http://www.ford-tri-motor.net/other_aircraft.htm

Regards and happy simming.
From your Ford Tri-Motor Project Team.

tommieboy
October 24th, 2014, 17:26
Hi Good People,

Just a quick heads up on some FREE liveries for the Microsoft Default Vicker Vimy aircraft.......

WOW! Thanks so much. The Vicker Vimy has always had a soft spot in my flightsim heart. I'm sure if I ever move on over to Prepar3D, this is one of the aircraft that I'll be taking along. I was just flying this aircraft last week, fighting with a 1 knot crosswind landing.....:encouragement:

Tommy

trucker17
October 24th, 2014, 18:25
Awesome Gary.......:encouragement:
You have your paintshop working overtime.......SLOW DOWN.....I'm still trying out the new DC-3 paints.......:very_drunk::biggrin-new:

GarryJSmith
October 24th, 2014, 19:59
Thanks Gentlemen,

Glad that the repaints are hitting the spot - :wiggle:

For Trucker17, Mate, at my senior age there is only two speeds - Flat Out or Dead - and I am not ready to be dead yet :redfire:

Ed and I are now doing a batch or revamps and new DH88 liveries - I have created something very different for some of the military girls for this rendition. Should be exciting or at least interesting for some to see on these girls.

Regards

tommieboy
October 24th, 2014, 23:13
I must have downloaded the modified for FSX model of the Vimy somewhere down the road as I had problems loading / displaying the new textures. I converted the new main fuselage bmp texture to a dds, and that solved the issue. All is good now. :-)

Tommy

GarryJSmith
October 25th, 2014, 01:30
Hi Tommy,

Sorry to hear that your using a converted model that has been migrated to DDS format images - though I am familiar with the format and have mastered the relevant techniques, for a plethora of reasons I prefer to not use that format.

I am using a straighforward copy of the FS2004 Vickers Vimy version pasted into the FSX/SimObjects/Airplanes directory and works without problems - and using the much more economical BMP format for images.

Regards and happy simming

tommieboy
October 25th, 2014, 09:35
Hi Tommy....

Hi Garry,

It's not a problem for me Garry, as I've been repainting in FSX for years, so I am use to farting around with texture file formats and Aircraft.cfg file entries. Yeah, FSX repainting can be a real PITA, especially when you get into bump mapping, spec mapping, etc.. I've pretty much shut down my little virtual paint shop because of the complexities that some FSX repaints can present. FS9 was much more fun in that respect.

In any case, I just wanted to give you the heads up just in case other FSX users chime in with the same issues. This only applies to the converted to FSX model.

1. I converted the Vickers_Vimy_T.bmp to a DDS DTX-5 format in each of the new texture folders. [EDIT] I should have clarified I also had to copy and paste the rest of the dds files from the "texture" folder (from the FSX version) over to each of the new texture folders, but that was a simple and quick copy and paste operation.

2. I needed to remove the dash from the atc_flight_number entries in the Aircraft.cfg, as I got an error message that I could only use alpha numeric symbols, so I hashed out the original entries, and removed the dash from the new entry. Might just be another FSX limitation.

//atc_flight_number=N-AFOR
atc_flight_number=NAFOR

One last thing, I use the modified for FSX model as it resolves the dreaded clouds in front of the propeller regen issue. That alone is worth it for me, as I like to fly through clouds....I'm sure we all do.

Regards,

Tommy

GarryJSmith
October 25th, 2014, 14:34
Hi Mate, Thanks for the comprehensive feedback - I am sure other FSX'ers will appreciate the vagaries and complexities of FSX repainting in comparison to the good old FS2004 environment. The graphics environment certainly went up in complexity a great deal - added tons of "features" - but at too great a cost in resources and skill expansion for many.

Edward and I still prefer the FS2004 environment - as do many others - the ability to use some of our FS2004 stuff within FSX is just the occassional bonus for FSX'ers that some aircraft provide.

All of our development - aircraft, repaints, scenery and other tinkers are focussed on FS2004 - yes I know that is all "OLD WORLD" stuff to some - but still a great deal of FS2004'ers out there who were being left behind as lots of developers moved to new world stuff. We, since inception of the Ford Tri-Motor Project, have focussed in trying to fill that void.

Regards mate.