PDA

View Full Version : VRinsight Hat Track

abrussell
January 25th, 2009, 08:56
Has anyone tried this new head tracker? Price is about $100 less than Trackir.
Bruce

Pepere
January 25th, 2009, 08:58
ya. I was wonderiing that too. looks good. need some reviews on it.'

David :kilroy:

SkippyBing
January 25th, 2009, 09:17
If you want to save even more you could try this: http://www.free-track.net/english/
You'll have to solder some LEDs up and have a web-cam but it's nothing complicated, I got it working in an afternoon. And then developed motion sickness...

Pepere
January 25th, 2009, 09:25
I already have trackir 3 pro. But if something works better, hay upgrade!

David :kilroy:

ACMRINGO
February 13th, 2009, 17:54
I have a TIR 3 with the vector add-on and was holding out for the TIR 5 or 6 or whatever is coming out after the TIR 4. NP sure are taking their sweet time on that! When I saw Hat Track I decided to get it instead of waiting for the next TIR, especially since the price was pretty decent.

But it doesn't work better, its worse! Im back to using my TIR 3 w/ vector for now. TIR is way smoother and more responsive than the Hat-Track. Kinda funny for something as long in the tooth as a TIR 3 to come out on top. The TIR has more game support, too. The Hat-Track only works in MS Flight sims, you can't use it in IL2, LOMAC, CFS, etc. Wish I'd paid better attention to that before I snapped it up.

I like the Hat-Track headset clip more than the NP one, they're about the same size but the Hat-Track one clips on better. Too bad I cant use it with the TIR, the software can't see it for some reason.

Had a couple problems getting the Hat-Track to stay aimed at me, it kept wanting to tilt upward. But mounting it on a flat panel was easier than the TIR 3 - I think you know what I'm talking about!

datter
February 14th, 2009, 05:21
I took some time and set up Freetrack with FSX recently and had it working perfectly. My only issue was that it made me sick to my stomach, so I ditched it... glad I tried something free first. :)

Dangerous Beans
February 14th, 2009, 06:31
Hat Track, 30 deg FOV, 60 FPS
TIR 3 pro, 33 deg FOV, 120 FPS
TIR 4 pro, 46 deg FOV, 120 FPS

Says it all really, one look at the numbers and its plain to see that its a downgrade from TIR.

VFR Reviews
February 14th, 2009, 07:00
Hi guys :)

I'm going to be reviewing this for FlightSim.com and VFR Reviews. Hopefully I'll have it reviewed in about a month, but I promise to post the review here when I'm done :D

ACMRINGO
February 14th, 2009, 23:44
I took some time and set up Freetrack with FSX recently and had it working perfectly. My only issue was that it made me sick to my stomach, so I ditched it... glad I tried something free first. :)

The Hat-Track made me feel kinda sick too, but the TIR 3 doesn't. The wikipedia page for Free-Track says most webcams only run 30 or 60 FPS too. Maybe the lower frame rates of Hat-Track and Free-Track cause motion sickness somehow.