PDA

View Full Version : Virtavia A-4 Skyhawk Question / Problem.

ejoiner
October 23rd, 2014, 10:47
I've been flying the Virtavia A-4 for 3 months now and have been tolerating a problem simply because I like hand flying this little bird so much. When I press Shift + 4, I should get an autopilot panel (apparently). Instead I get this big black box. Thats either a missing bitmap or some other panel.cfg issue. Is this a known issue? Obviously the plane installed OK, because I have been flying it daily.

fsafranek
October 23rd, 2014, 11:25
I've been flying the Virtavia A-4 for 3 months now and have been tolerating a problem simply because I like hand flying this little bird so much. When I press Shift + 4, I should get an autopilot panel (apparently). Instead I get this big black box. Thats either a missing bitmap or some other panel.cfg issue. Is this a known issue? Obviously the plane installed OK, because I have been flying it daily.

I'm not sure why that view option was left in. I recall discussion during development that it was felt that the Automatic Flight Control System (AFCS) panel on the left console covered everything (pages 32-33 of the manual) and we didn't need a popup. Easy fix is to comment out the "Window03" line in the panel.cfg file in the "Virtavia A-4 Skyhawk 0-1 Clean/panel" folder as shown below.

[Window Titles]
Window00=Main Panel
Window01=Radio Stack
Window02=GPS
// Window03=Autopilot

Hope this helps.
:ernaehrung004:

WarHorse47
October 23rd, 2014, 12:00
It's been awhile since I flew mine, but I took a different approach.

I found an AP from another Virtavia product (Virtavia B-45, I believe), extracted the appropriate files (all beginning with AP) from the cab folder, and placed them in a subfolder under the Skyhawk panel. I named the folder Virtavia_AP. Then it was a matter insuring the proper scripting in the panel.cfg.

Works like a charm.

expat
October 23rd, 2014, 12:44
. . did the same. Plus the RFN TACAN. And the ARS4 radar . .

ejoiner
October 23rd, 2014, 13:08
I'm not sure why that view option was left in. I recall discussion during development that it was felt that the Automatic Flight Control System (AFCS) panel on the left console covered everything (pages 32-33 of the manual) and we didn't need a popup. Easy fix is to comment out the "Window03" line in the panel.cfg file in the "Virtavia A-4 Skyhawk 0-1 Clean/panel" folder as shown below.

[Window Titles]
Window00=Main Panel
Window01=Radio Stack
Window02=GPS
// Window03=Autopilot

Hope this helps.

Well that wasnt the answer I had hoped for!... :-)

I had hoped for an actual working AFCS panel. But no matter. I can always put in the Bendix King Default one just to have it.

E

expat
October 23rd, 2014, 13:16
Speaking of nits, I can't find some of the click spots that should be on the sides of the radar eg to cycle range and some other things. Manual shows these in the illustrations but they aren't there for me. The ones over the knobs eg brightness work but as a result the radar doesn't display very much (using Search mode).

fsafranek
October 24th, 2014, 11:04
Speaking of nits, I can't find some of the click spots that should be on the sides of the radar eg to cycle range and some other things. Manual shows these in the illustrations but they aren't there for me. The ones over the knobs eg brightness work but as a result the radar doesn't display very much (using Search mode).

Look below the backup Attitude Indicator directly beneath the radar screen. The range adjustments are made there. Modes are cycled on the left console.