PDA

View Full Version : Prepar3D v2.4 inquiry

OleBoy
October 16th, 2014, 13:29
As time permits I've been downloading all of the necessary .cab files needed for the latest version, 2.4.
_I haven't read of any crippling issues, so I'm hopeful the fresh install will go smoothly.

Is there anything obvious (hiccups, errors, etc) that will hinder better results over v2.3?
It's been ages since I've dealt with any of it.

Daube
October 16th, 2014, 14:55
Carefull with the 2.4
On the P3D forums, I have seen a few complaints about performance being significantly lower than with 2.3 + cloud fix.
I'm staying with the 2.3 for the moment.

falcon409
October 16th, 2014, 15:05
As time permits I've been downloading all of the necessary .cab files needed for the latest version, 2.4.
_I haven't read of any crippling issues, so I'm hopeful the fresh install will go smoothly.

Is there anything obvious (hiccups, errors, etc) that will hinder better results over v2.3?
It's been ages since I've dealt with any of it.
I ran the patch for this one. . .not wanting to have to reinstall everything all over again. I've had great success with it, fps numbers are somewhat higher. . .I've seen no downside to it at all really. But that's on my system. With P3D more than any of the other sims, it seems that across the board success is not always the results when folks do the latest upgrades. All I can say is that it's the best I've seen of all the versions thus far. I've uninstalled all the others (FS9, FSX, P3DV1.4).

OleBoy
October 16th, 2014, 15:34
If remember, I applied the v2.3 patch over v2.2. All went fine that time. This time I thought it best to go the full install because I'd already slid by once. Do I try it again?

I suppose I could try the patch and see what happens, but I've got a feeling that doing the upgrades by patches alone may cause problems and, well. Ahh heck, what the hay. I'LL TRY IT!

Thanks for the response, Ed.:-)

Looks like I have to install the full version. I've been away so long that I must have missed an update. Hehe darn it!

OleBoy
October 16th, 2014, 15:48
Carefull with the 2.4
On the P3D forums, I have seen a few complaints about performance being significantly lower than with 2.3 + cloud fix.
I'm staying with the 2.3 for the moment.
Viewing the forum on a smart phone and missed your reply, Daube. Maybe I'll go check out the forums over there. Either that or wait. I honestly despise having to go to other forums. Comes with age and no patience for trudging through the topics.

OleBoy
October 16th, 2014, 16:28
I thought I did an update to v2.3. After checking, I'm still sitting on v2.210437.0.

Is the v2.3 patch still available anywhere?
Reading @ the LM site it looks as if the answer is "NLA"

roger-wilco-66
October 16th, 2014, 21:18
I ran a fresh install this time, and did not encounter any issues. The addons (fsuipc, REX texture, SBX, A2A and Aerosoft aircraft, etc) run fine. No issues with performance and clouds / shadows.
From my point of view it's worth a clean install.

I might have the v2.3 update at home and could upload it for you tonight, OB.

Cheers,
Mark

OleBoy
October 17th, 2014, 02:17
Hearing your story puts my mind at balance, Mark. However, I like the thought of trying an incremental update better if I have the opportunity. I figured surely that someone out there was in my situation, so I tried searching for the 2.3 update. No such luck unfortunately, so I welcome your offer.

Worse that can happen is a complete reinstall.

roger-wilco-66
October 17th, 2014, 03:22
OK, I'll upload it as soon as I get home (ca. 5hrs from now) and PM you the link!

Cheers,
Mark

Dimus
October 17th, 2014, 03:53
Always applied patches so far to avoid the time for reinstall and installation of all addons. Performance wise this version is the best so far for me. I have however run into a glitch. I can not save flights, I get a CTD. At LM the otherwise helpful posters (not LM people) could not help me so now I am considering a fresh install of 2.4.

OleBoy
October 17th, 2014, 05:16
Back on the tiny screen. I wish SOH forum displayed better on this small screen.

Looking forward to trying the patch, Mark. My fingers will be crossed that applying it goes well.

@ Dimus,
I've went through the full install process at least 3 times since the initial release of v1.3. Having to do a full install to alleviate problems makes it a headache getting things back to where it was prior.

I've been hopeful that LM would get things sorted out in that respect as time passes. For some it works, or seems too for a while. I dread the thought of a full install. I'd try the patch first any day!

roger-wilco-66
October 17th, 2014, 06:41
OB, pm sent! :-)

OleBoy
October 17th, 2014, 07:44
There's a slight over sight I did not mention.
I use the Academic version. Any other patch will not work.

I regret to say, Mark, the patch will not work.
It looks like I'll be doing a full install when I find time. Unless someone can provide the correct one. Hint hint. Anyone?

Thanks for your efforts!

OleBoy
October 18th, 2014, 06:19
I'm hopeful this evening I'll get moving on a fresh install. I'm still up to trying the v2.3 Academic update though if anyone can provide a link to it! :)

Dimus
October 18th, 2014, 06:32
Well, I hate to say the full reinstall did solve my save problem. Now to select the addons I really use and put them back on.

OleBoy
October 18th, 2014, 06:49
Save problem? Please fill me in what you are referring too. My guessing will likely be wrong.

Disregard, I scrolled up and found your previous post. So there is an issue saving flights. Is anyone else having this trouble?

Not a deal breaker for me. My flights are usually short ones.

falcon409
October 18th, 2014, 07:10
. . . . . .Disregard, I scrolled up and found your previous post. So there is an issue saving flights. Is anyone else having this trouble?
Not a deal breaker for me. My flights are usually short ones.
Nope. . .I did just the 2.4 update. No problems at all, best version thus far. Been doing some scenery work so I've been saving after each session and I've had no problems with saved flights.

OleBoy
October 18th, 2014, 07:16
Based on what you're saying, Ed, the issue Dimus is experiencing may be coming entirely from doing updates from patching alone. Just a guess of course. In previous versions I recall the same problem.

OleBoy
October 18th, 2014, 08:00
I'm in the process of cleaning things up as far as P3D is concerned. I'm prepping for a new beginning. The only issue is that I forgot to disable the migration tool. It's being stubborn now and will not uninstall. Task manager gives me no clues to shut it down.

Any thoughts?

Update:
I just deleted the Flightsim Estonia folder, went in the registry and cleaned out all traces of the Migration Tool. That did the trick.
-P3Dv2.4 is installed, along with the latest FSUIPC.

Now to get over to the Flightsim Store and download the updated installer(s) and I'll be back in business as far as flying is concerned. :)

falcon409
October 18th, 2014, 11:25
Based on what you're saying, Ed, the issue Dimus is experiencing may be coming entirely from doing updates from patching alone. Just a guess of course. In previous versions I recall the same problem.
That's possible as V2.4 is the only one I've actually attempted the update patch all the others were full installs.

Dimus
October 18th, 2014, 11:50

It may be so. After patching from 2.2 to 2.3 I had problems saving when creating a flight in the scenario editor. I could however save a situation while in the sim. After patching to 2.4 the save function was lost, I got a CTD after clicking the button.

It could however be the case that I have not followed correctly the instructions for folder backup/deletion etc. Patching is a bit complicated, but a lot of people, like Ed have done it successfully.

OleBoy
October 18th, 2014, 12:14
Ah HA! That would confirm my hunch. LOL.
I read a thread over at FSdeveloper on the patch/update only process, and considered that method. Then got to thinking I'd rather not considering what was involved. Not knowingly, I would screw something up!!

The full installs are always better, but downloading 10gb every time gets old. Needless to say I just finished doing it.

OleBoy
October 18th, 2014, 15:13
Orbx PNW Blue, installed. While downloading I figured that the installer was out of date, and after install it would require a service pack as the final update. Surprisingly it was version 1.8 (SP8).
-That updated installer made it so I could delete all the previous service packs. Along with the headaches of dealing with them. Perfect. :)

n4gix
October 30th, 2014, 13:05
For what it's worth, L-M have stated that beginning with v3.x they will be doing away with this truly clumsy update method, and will be developing a more modern "slip-stream" method of updating incremental patches. :ernaehrung004:

falcon409
October 30th, 2014, 13:09
For what it's worth, L-M have stated that beginning with v3.x they will be doing away with this truly clumsy update method, and will be developing a more modern "slip-stream" method of updating incremental patches.
Good News!

Crusader
October 30th, 2014, 15:00
Always applied patches so far to avoid the time for reinstall and installation of all addons. Performance wise this version is the best so far for me. I have however run into a glitch. I can not save flights, I get a CTD. At LM the otherwise helpful posters (not LM people) could not help me so now I am considering a fresh install of 2.4.

I started running into this same problem today . Updated to v2.4 and now when I access the menu and save a flight I immediately get a CTD . Also when trying to save a flight from the keyboards I also get a CTD . I've thought about fresh install but cringe at the thought of reloading a lot of AC and scenery(especially the ORBX) I thought I might have had this problem with v1.4 but thought it got corrected in v2......