PDA

View Full Version : Kelti Request

Sarg Willy
October 13th, 2014, 22:20
computor issues with new stuff !
Question , stick,s come in 16 Gig,s and up , USB portals , more than enough room to hold the game files and all your planes , So I asked the Geek -- nephew , would it not be faster to load from a stick than the hardrive , is not a USB stick faster memory , sort of like Ram , Why then am I loading a 10 gig game onto a hard drive to slow my life down ?
He looked at me , rolled his eyes , pondered the question ,and replied in diplomatic term,s ,, Yes and No , Would you care to clairify the double answer ? I have to back this up now , you see he just got done building my machine , when I reminded him I needed the sound card port , for the M$s 3d stick , So that meant another mother board - for PCI slot --Having completed that mission , there was no port plug on the last mother board to accomadate , USB vr-III high speed portal , and of course I found this out when trying to install a back up hard drive , Guess What , yep , you can,t do that either , different cables and plugs in,s , on the new 500 gig hard drive ,
Ok then I pluged in the stick with all the files , and started the game from USB -2 portal - It took 10 minutes to load to fly point,, I take it that was his No point , USB-2 reads tooo slow , But hay after load into Ram , guess what , No loss in FPS , turned out ,as compared to hard drive install , His Yes point I guess , So the moral of the story is use
the USB--III port on your new computor , and happy flying from a stick

Blood_Hawk23
October 13th, 2014, 23:40
computor issues with new stuff !
Question , stick,s come in 16 Gig,s and up , USB portals , more than enough room to hold the game files and all your planes , So I asked the Geek -- nephew , would it not be faster to load from a stick than the hardrive , is not a USB stick faster memory , sort of like Ram , Why then am I loading a 10 gig game onto a hard drive to slow my life down ?
He looked at me , rolled his eyes , pondered the question ,and replied in diplomatic term,s ,, Yes and No , Would you care to clairify the double answer ? I have to back this up now , you see he just got done building my machine , when I reminded him I needed the sound card port , for the M$s 3d stick , So that meant another mother board - for PCI slot --Having completed that mission , there was no port plug on the last mother board to accomadate , USB vr-III high speed portal , and of course I found this out when trying to install a back up hard drive , Guess What , yep , you can,t do that either , different cables and plugs in,s , on the new 500 gig hard drive ,
Ok then I pluged in the stick with all the files , and started the game from USB -2 portal - It took 10 minutes to load to fly point,, I take it that was his No point , USB-2 reads tooo slow , But hay after load into Ram , guess what , No loss in FPS , turned out ,as compared to hard drive install , His Yes point I guess , So the moral of the story is use
the USB--III port on your new computor , and happy flying from a stick

Its the same as running from an external hard drive. The transfer speeds, upload is not the same as download. Not to mention it was not intended to run that way. You will shorten the life span of the drive or divice. It could also over heat or become currupted. Thats why they are called "Storage Divices" and "Back Up Drives".

Think of it this way, You could drive 1000 miles on a moped, but wouldn't you rather fly.

SPman
October 14th, 2014, 00:21
Did you stick in an SSD drive - they're considerably faster than a conventional hard drive and the prices are plummetting (as the drives get faster) Just use the stick as another backup - I've got several Sandisk USB 3.0 32 & 64G sticks - they're great>

Sarg Willy
October 14th, 2014, 16:17
yes , I believe he did say something like SSD --- then reffered to it as a Porsch of hard drives , I told him to screw that , I want the 69 GTX , 440 ,

kelticheart
October 15th, 2014, 01:02
Sorry Sarg for not responding earlier, but on Monday a huge rainstorm hit this area and we were :monkies:webwise since a couple of hours ago.

I agree with Blood_Hawk, running CFS2 from an external USB drive or a mem pen is not advisable, even if USB 3.0 transfer rates are close if not better than your average internal HDD.

Those peripherals are not meant to work like that, but only as storage/backup devices. Using them as regular internal HDDs will considerably shorten their lives.

Cheers!
KH :ernaehrung004:

Sarg Willy
October 15th, 2014, 20:21
Why can,t I just put the stick in a freezy pac , :very_drunk:
thanks for the advice guy,s ,

Kelti I,m glad you side steped most of that flood , seem to recall living about six block,s away rented house , when the street sewers, plugged up
3, 1/2 feet of water , deep enough to swim in , We ran down to the basement -- when water started rolling in sheets from the evetrough,s
I just got to the top of the stairs to see water rolling out of the bath room, toilet bowl grabbed the floor mat carpet , stuffed it down , and had to stand on it for the next 45 minutes , the other floor drain got carpet
and a couple hundred pounds of dumbells ,, we stopped it at the 2" level
loosing only the kids stuffed animals ,,, where as other nieghbours had floating freezers ,,