PDA

View Full Version : Who developed FS2004?

Sascha66
January 25th, 2009, 02:48
Am confused! The ACES team seem to have done CFS2 and 3 and FSX, did they do the older versions as well? I thought they did, but the web provides differing answers.

Francois
January 25th, 2009, 04:04
As far as I know Aces was the old fs dev group rolled into an existing outside studio that was bought by MS. So basically the same people. FS has always been developed internally after they bought it from SubLOGIC in 1982.

Sascha66
January 25th, 2009, 04:11
Thank you sir for the information.

beatle
January 25th, 2009, 06:51
Well, technically, we were only published internally by Microsoft between 82 and 95, until MS actually bought the IP rights from Bruce and we all became MS employees (I guess they bought us from Bruce also :-> ).

I was personally involved from 1990 - 1999, and then again from 2004 until now.

I started with the SGA addon for FS4 (Sound, Graphics, and Aircraft) for any oldtimers who can still remember back that far :->, worked on BAO Tower (actually got to go up in the tower at O'Hare a couple of times), ported FS5 and SS1 over to the Japanese hardware market (the NEC not-quite-an-IBM hardware, and no - I don't speak or read any Japanese :-> ), worked on BAO's attempts to move the FS engine into the commercial space (training prototype for the Navy based on a T6 Texan using FS5 and its new adventure system) which got canned when MS bought out BAO, worked on FS95, FS98, about half of FS2000 (left to do hardware level stuff over in WinCE for a while), and probably a little bit of work on CFS1 & 2 (I was usually on the small team that kept working on FS while CFS was being worked on though), and then FSX, XPack, and ESP since I came back in 04.

Tim

Francois
January 25th, 2009, 11:31
Thanks Tim !