PDA

View Full Version : Is the Ground Crew He-111 model shineable?

RobH
September 8th, 2014, 16:41
For those of you that might still remember me, just wanted to stop in and say Hi! Hope everyone is doing ok. I don't have a working simulator computer right now, but I still peek in here from time to time. It's been a long time since I've been around here, and I miss hanging out with you all. I hope to come back some day, not sure when though. I've got way too many things going on in my life, but I really do miss my flight sim time. Seeing Captain Kurts paints for the BF-109 for example is not helping, lol! Hope to talk to you all again soon. Take care!

Daveroo
September 8th, 2014, 18:11
well its good to see you here,i dont think weve met,as im a FSX'r,and pretty much stay there or racers paddock,you need to stay on top of the flight suim thing,PC or not,cause when ya stop flying its hard to find anything to do with spare time...good thing i got hurt after PCs were on the sheleves,,cause id not survived without one...lol

bearcat241
September 8th, 2014, 19:52
Good to hear from you Rob. Happy to know you're still plugged in here and i'm still diggin' your works. Hope you can get back into it soon.

CheerZ!

Sarg Willy
September 8th, 2014, 20:24
Wavey ! good to see you pop by Rob , still enjoying your art work ,

Shessi
September 9th, 2014, 00:29
Hi Brian,
Good to hear from you, hope all's well.....

It'll all still be here when you're ready!

Cheers

Shessi

kelticheart
September 9th, 2014, 00:43
HI THERE! :wavey:

Good to read from you, Brian! It's always nice to see old friends are doing fine. Like many here, I still enjoy your artwork that I collected, day in and day out.

Thanks for stopping by, hopefully we'll see you back again here at SOH.

Cheers!
KH :ernaehrung004:

TARPSBird
September 9th, 2014, 01:53
Good to hear from you Rob! :wavey:

Rami
September 9th, 2014, 15:18
Brian,

I echo Stefano's sentiments. It's great to see you around, and know that your repaints are highly valued in CFS2. If you ever get the itch again, we are here! :wavey:

bub
September 11th, 2014, 04:28
Brian,
Glad to see you're still hanging in there. So, welcome, again.
Bub

etc. if you still have my number, give me a call and we can "chat".

Captain Kurt
September 11th, 2014, 09:50
Howdy. C'mon back in, the water's fine.

RobH
September 12th, 2014, 16:37
Thanks everyone for the kind words! So glad to hear from you guys! Sorry for the delay, it's my first chance at getting to a computer! I'm hoping things slow down this winter and I can get back into CFS2. Not really sure if I will get back into painting, but I wont rule it out. :) I've had a lot of time to think, lol. Anyway, thanks again and see you all soon!

Bub, if you have the same # you did the last time we talked, I have it! I'm on a weird schedule right now, but will talk soon. Things are changing in my career, that I know you'll appreciate and understand.:encouragement:

RobH
September 18th, 2014, 18:02
not complaining, just curious if this is still the only version available for CFS2? Thanks

Rami
September 18th, 2014, 21:48
Brian,

Yup...and your handiwork is still a vital component of it. I use your skins exclusively for Norway, Western Europe, the OstFront, and the Mediterranean.

Why replace a classic? I use the He-111 extensively in many ETO campaigns.

Your skins: http://www.mrjmaint.com/RegsHanger/Groundcrew/homepage/CFS2/skins/he111/Brian%20Hill/Brian%20hill%20CFS2%20Skins.php

Groundcrew's site: http://www.mrjmaint.com/RegsHanger/Groundcrew/homepage/Ground%20Crew%20Design%20Group%20Official%20Websit e.htm

RobH
September 19th, 2014, 07:22
Thanks Rami. Yes, she has always been my favorite. Was just double checking. There may be some updates on paints soon. :encouragement:

Rami
September 19th, 2014, 08:00
Brian,

Excellent! :triumphant:

May I make a suggestion? If you are interested in updating paint jobs, may I suggest these?

http://www.mrjmaint.com/RegsHanger/Groundcrew/homepage/CFS2/skins/he111/He111-01/GC%20He111%201%20CFS2%20Skins.php

RobH
September 19th, 2014, 08:36
I'll take a look at them. Right now I plan to start with Mediterranean and Eastern Front.

ElsnerMarkus
September 19th, 2014, 21:04
I have a Question to the GC HE 111.

Can i Add a V 1 Flying Bomb to the HE payloads?

Rami
September 20th, 2014, 02:33
ElsnerMarkus,

You mean like this?

http://www.mrjmaint.com/RegsHanger/Groundcrew/homepage/CFS2/packages/he111V1/Mark%20Shelley%20He%20111H%20with%20V1.php

Courtesy of our own "Shessi." :wiggle:

hewman100
September 21st, 2014, 11:43
Great to see you back Brian, and as for the news that more of your work is soon to grace the CFS2 skies:greenbounce::greenbounce::greenbounce:

SW
September 21st, 2014, 11:56
I'll take a look at them. Right now I plan to start with Mediterranean and Eastern Front.

Rob are you taking skin requests? If so, an Iraqi skin please!

Thanks either way,

Steve

Desert Rat
September 21st, 2014, 14:01
Well smack me sideways, Brian's back, yippekayae Mo Fo. Great to see you back, 'bout time. You know my feelings on the last time you posted!! Took yah time bro. Missed yah.

Always good to see old faces, makes this place the 'oasis' in the dessert that it is, a fecking sight for sore eyes.

Any paints you have are in my download list, but hands off the Hampden, that's mine!! LOL.

:very_drunk::ernaehrung004:
Jamie.

RobH
September 23rd, 2014, 06:27
Rob are you taking skin requests? If so, an Iraqi skin please!

Thanks either way,

Steve

Steve, I will see what I can do. If you any pictures or profiles of what you want, please post a picture.:encouragement:

RobH
September 23rd, 2014, 06:29
Thanks guys, great to see you guys too. I promise I won't touch the Hampden, Lol!:a1310:

SW
September 29th, 2014, 11:56
Steve, I will see what I can do. If you any pictures or profiles of what you want, please post a picture.:encouragement:

Found on t'internet, I hope they are useful:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSo0EEc-jO2X7H5LFLSj-rj6YDIMVEtAhjWHj5s5lijRNsn15_n

http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/315/pics/19_1.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Eu4d4GXAEUo/TVGytNpEoQI/AAAAAAAAFTs/nwuhWnn3uiM/s1600/he111iraq.jpg

RobH
September 29th, 2014, 17:42
Thanks SW, I will see what I can do. Here is what I have so far. Still more to do.

hewman100
September 30th, 2014, 00:13
Great job Brian. Only glitch I can see is that the model you're using hasn't got the X-Gerat aerials on the fuselage removed.
I can't remember without looking but were they alpha'd out in some way, or was there two separate models?

RobH
September 30th, 2014, 06:01
Good catch! Thanks. I forgot to include the proper alpha channel for that texture sheet. Oops!:banghead:

RobH
October 6th, 2014, 16:53
I think the model needs a little shine and was wondering if anyone here had added shine to theirs? Also, since I am on Windows 7, I was curious if anyone was successful before I start creating a virtual machine just so I can run the utility mk_mdl_v2. It's been a long time since I played around with the He-111 and I keep thinking that this model wouldn't let you add shine to it, but I could be wrong.

Thanks

Sarg Willy
October 6th, 2014, 17:35
Now that,s a good question , I think it was the tail end of Fds-vr1 , so probably not shineable , the modelers could probably check the source file , to see if Fds-vr-2 , was used to confirm that ,

RobH
October 6th, 2014, 18:23
Now that,s a good question , I think it was the tail end of Fds-vr1 , so probably not shineable , the modelers could probably check the source file , to see if Fds-vr-2 , was used to confirm that ,

Thanks Sarg. I checked the read me and it says it was built in Gmax. Does that help?

Sarg Willy
October 6th, 2014, 18:54
Gmax , sure does ,Shine away

RobH
October 6th, 2014, 19:15
Gmax , sure does ,Shine away

Thanks!:very_drunk: I will give it a shot tomorrow morning, when I'm not so tired.

kelticheart
October 6th, 2014, 23:09
Thanks!:very_drunk: I will give it a shot tomorrow morning, when I'm not so tired.

Hi Brian,

you can shine it with Morton/Hsu's mkMDL utility. I set mine 02-04 resulting in a soft satin finish, the only shine that a camo flat paint would give under direct sunlight.
With natural metal aircrafts, or late war US Navy night blue glossy finish, I increase the shine factor to 05.

Cheers!

RobH
October 7th, 2014, 04:35
Thanks Kelti! That's exactly what I am wanting to do.:encouragement:

RobH
October 7th, 2014, 05:41
Well apparently I cannot create a virtual XP machine on mine without having a XP operating system disc.:banghead:

Anyone got a suggestion on how to create a virtual XP machine on Windows 7 home premium? I have tried both Vm player and Virtual Box.

ElsnerMarkus
October 8th, 2014, 18:59
I Have installed the HE with V 1 but the V 1 works with a normal Bomb, not raket attack?

Cody Coyote
October 9th, 2014, 07:27
Did you try using Windows XP Mode? XP Mode is free and is designed to run on Windows 7. You don't need an XP disk.

I used it on my first Win 7 machine. It worked perfectly and allowed me to run any of my older programs (like CFS2) in XP. Eventually I realized Win 7 was everything XP was and more so I didn't bother to install it on my next PC. If you have an old program that ran great on XP but not on Win 7 then XP Mode is the way to go. You do need to be running Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimateto install it.

Here's a link to the Windows site explaining it and leading to the download page: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

Desert Rat
October 9th, 2014, 09:38
....or you could download MDLmat from Martin Wrights (http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/) site (click program list on left) and manually add shine to each material individually, not as straight forward but one benefit is you can add extra shine to the transparent materials to make your glass a bit shinier.

Jamie.

michaelvader
October 9th, 2014, 10:07
Hallo,

of course for the "beauty" it would be nice to have the aircraft have siny surfaces. BUT, the camouflage paint was mat just to avoid also shiny effects!
Today you might see warbirds with shiny camouflage paint and factory fresh.
Sorry but this goes totaly against the reality in wartime use.
Later especially US airforce planes did come over the war theatre with out camouflage and also natural aluminium or othe fresh paints. Those might have gloss or shine. Also please think to this that the german paint especially at the end of the war was of poor quality and just aplied as less than possible.
To help you please try to search over the net old wartime photos and you will see - no shine.

Happy landings
yours
Michael "Papi" Vader

Shessi
October 9th, 2014, 14:02
Hi Michael,
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on this one.

Most, if not all ac paint had a sealer either mixed in with it or was applied afterwards over the top. Yes, after use it did matt down but it always still had some residual sheen (subtle sheen or subtilen glanz) on it. As shown with late war german paint quality, which reduced greatly, and even became water based at the end, even then the metal underneath would add a sheen through to the surface paint.

The Brits thought that true matt black on night fighters would be harder to see at night. This was proved to be incorrect, and it also took some 20mph (32Kph) off the top speed, so they reverted back to standard paint types. This is why truely matt paint was never used by any airforce (the shine also protects the paint, so lasts longer).

Yes, wear on paint may matt it down, but oil, petrol, hydraulic and brake fluids on paint and then being wipped off would shine the surface. If you look at an old car that has not been re-painted and has gone matt, in bright light or sunshine, it still has a sheen to it, in german, 'subtilen glanz'.

It is one of my great frustrations that people either produce or convert an ac and believe they are doing it justice by making it matt or forgetting to add a touch of shine, it is not realistic at all. In the model world it would be described as not being 'scale' ie not realistic.

These two pics are of the WoP Fw190D9 in CFS2. The first pic is of a matt painted aircraft, the second is of a lightly shined ac. Personally I think that the subtle areas of highlighted shine or sheen, bring the ac to life and make it look more realistic in the sim. Also here are a load of photos showing shine and sheen on german, japanese and british ac. I agree, bright shiney WWII ac are very rare, but lightly shined with a subtle sheen is a must.

Cheers Shessi

P.S Brian, and yes the GC He11 does shine up well...

RobH
October 9th, 2014, 15:38
Did you try using Windows XP Mode? XP Mode is free and is designed to run on Windows 7. You don't need an XP disk.

I used it on my first Win 7 machine. It worked perfectly and allowed me to run any of my older programs (like CFS2) in XP. Eventually I realized Win 7 was everything XP was and more so I didn't bother to install it on my next PC. If you have an old program that ran great on XP but not on Win 7 then XP Mode is the way to go. You do need to be running Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimateto install it.

Here's a link to the Windows site explaining it and leading to the download page: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

Thanks Cody. I have Windows 7 Home, so it will not run in XP mode. Years ago, I made a virtual Xp machine on mine, but something in the rules must have changed I guess. When I did it the first time, I did not have to have a XP disk to install, now I do.

RobH
October 9th, 2014, 15:40
....or you could download MDLmat from Martin Wrights (http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/) site (click program list on left) and manually add shine to each material individually, not as straight forward but one benefit is you can add extra shine to the transparent materials to make your glass a bit shinier.

Jamie.

Thanks Jamie. I tried that too, but not exactly sure what I am doing with the program yet. I have used it before successfully in FSX, but picking what you want to change in CFS2 is different and harder. (for me).

RobH
October 9th, 2014, 15:50
Hallo,

of course for the "beauty" it would be nice to have the aircraft have siny surfaces. BUT, the camouflage paint was mat just to avoid also shiny effects!
Today you might see warbirds with shiny camouflage paint and factory fresh.
Sorry but this goes totaly against the reality in wartime use.
Later especially US airforce planes did come over the war theatre with out camouflage and also natural aluminium or othe fresh paints. Those might have gloss or shine. Also please think to this that the german paint especially at the end of the war was of poor quality and just aplied as less than possible.
To help you please try to search over the net old wartime photos and you will see - no shine.

Happy landings
yours
Michael "Papi" Vader

Thanks Michael. Shessi explained it perfectly. My intention is to add a 'sheen' to the aircraft. In some angles, light will still reflect off flat paint. You are right, they were not necessarily shiny. I only used the word shine, since that is what the setting is called in the MK-MDLC program.

I think aircraft in CFS2 look unreal without some light reflecting off the paint. Even in the reflection is very subtle.

RobH
October 9th, 2014, 15:53
Hi Michael,

Most, if not all ac paint had a sealer either mixed in with it or was applied afterwards over the top. Yes, after use it did matt down but it always still had some residual sheen (subtle sheen or subtilen glanz) on it. As shown with late war german paint quality, which reduced greatly, and even became water based at the end, even then the metal underneath would add a sheen through to the surface paint.

The Brits thought that true matt black on night fighters would be harder to see at night. This was proved to be incorrect, and it also took some 20mph (32Kph) off the top speed, so they reverted back to standard paint types. This is why truely matt paint was never used by any airforce (the shine also protects the paint, so lasts longer).

Yes, wear on paint may matt it down, but oil, petrol, hydraulic and brake fluids on paint and then being wipped off would shine the surface. If you look at an old car that has not been re-painted and has gone matt, in bright light or sunshine, it still has a sheen to it, in german, 'subtilen glanz'.

It is one of my great frustrations that people either produce or convert an ac and believe they are doing it justice by making it matt or forgetting to add a touch of shine, it is not realistic at all. In the model world it would be described as not being 'scale' ie not realistic.

These two pics are of the WoP Fw190D9 in CFS2. The first pic is of a matt painted aircraft, the second is of a lightly shined ac. Personally I think that the subtle areas of highlighted shine or sheen, bring the ac to life and make it look more realistic in the sim. Also here are a load of photos showing shine and sheen on german, japanese and british ac. I agree, bright shiney WWII ac are very rare, but lightly shined with a subtle sheen is a must.

Cheers Shessi

Thanks Shessi. Thanks for the explanation and pictures! Even with flat paint, light still has to reflect off the surface causing a very subtle, shine or sheen, just like your photos are showing.

The picture of the Ground Crew He-111 is exactly what I am wanting

Allen
October 9th, 2014, 16:32
Well apparently I cannot create a virtual XP machine on mine without having a XP operating system disc.:banghead:

Anyone got a suggestion on how to create a virtual XP machine on Windows 7 home premium? I have tried both Vm player and Virtual Box.

Have you tried DOSBox? Mdlc.exe is DOS program. The mk_mdlc.exe is nothing but a nice interface. You should be able to use Mdlc.exe in basic cammand line with DOSBox.

RobH
October 9th, 2014, 20:04
Have you tried DOSBox? Mdlc.exe is DOS program. The mk_mdlc.exe is nothing but a nice interface. You should be able to use Mdlc.exe in basic cammand line with DOSBox.

Thanks Allen. I looked at it yesterday, but wasn't sure what is was. I will take a look at it some more.

Allen
October 9th, 2014, 20:26
I haven't used DOSBox my self (still using XP) but has been recommended to use for similar 16 bit DOS intefrace programs that I use for Command & Conquer.

michaelvader
October 10th, 2014, 01:21
Hallo Shessy,
as you explained in your answer to my reply you are relly very right (oups a bit wrankle my english).
I meant the general paint and did not go into detail as you do.
I would be glad if I could do so detailed paint - also on my panels to add a touch of "use".
I remember suddenly a little story from my father who flew on Ju 87 till the end at the Kurland siege.
He told me that they tried to "polish" their StuKa's to gain a little bit speed on their old birds. And he so told me also that we hoped that it would brings us a little but knowing that our engines were tired.
So OK Shessi, and thank you for your detailed explanation.
Happy Landings
Yours Papi

Shessi
October 10th, 2014, 01:45
Hi Papi,
Please, your english is superb, I wish my german was as good!

No problem at all, sorry but I think I was using your statement to make a point (one that's been festering inside for years..:biggrin-new:), as I have never understood people who do not see or miss this effect, and it makes such a big difference, especially in CFS2.

Your father was certainly a brave crew member, tired Ju87's at that late stage of the war...gulp! :icon_eek:, he is a lucky man to have survived.

Prost!

Shessi

kelticheart
October 10th, 2014, 02:05
Hi Michael,

Cheers Shessi

Thanks for this very detailed explanation, Shessi!

I agree with you, I call it a "soft satin finish". I remember the emotion I had as a child when Humbrol matte WWII paint sets became available here.

They were expensive for child's pockets at the time, buying one meant giving up two or three airplane kits. But the models had to be painted and the first time I painted Frog's Spitfire MkIa QV-K with Humbrol RAF set enamels, I admired the results for hours afterwards. I went out and bought me the Luftwaffe set immediately, but then I had no more money to get something to paint for weeks!

It's then when I first saw that satin sheen effect on the model surfaces. I think it's best reproduced with Morton's mkMDL 02-04 settings, as I wrote above. Every camouflaged aircraft I downloaded is treated this way, while 02-05 suits natural metal and glossy paints very well.

Cheers!