PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Life, hair, and aging..

Lionheart
January 24th, 2009, 22:53
Hey all..

We have this cat, Tabbs.. She is a huge Raccoon looking thing with the most amazing coat of hair. Now and then, when I pet her, some hair comes off. I am always checking out her coat as the cammo pattern and colors amaze me, and I look at these hairs, and I think.. How can this beautiful coat come from hairs...? How can they arrange themselves to be symetrical on each side? How can they be diff colors in stripes on each and every hair??

The more I think on it, the more I am bewildered.... How can the DNA blueprint 'build chart' have all those amazing details in it, such as for a single hair.

So then, I go to a conversation I had with my two nephews on old age.. The Human body regenerates all cells in roughly 4 to 5 years, some in 2 years.. That means that your skeletan is only 2 to 5 years max old... Each cell has lived, died, and been replaced.

But........ What is really wierd is that this is also time/age/wear based also.... As you age, you rebuild cells with cells that are similar. If you look 20, then you rebuild 20 year old cells... if you are 40 or 60, then your cells replace the ones in that 'age area'. Its a odd concept to comprehend, but imagine this.. If your DNA short circuited and said 'make all skin for a 20 year old teenager' well, you realise all your skin would begin to look new again, etc....

So, you have a 'clock' program built into the blueprint system of the DNA.

(I constantly joke with other developers about my 'gray, stressed, aging, silver, brittle eyebrows.. But, why cant my 'new' eyebrows that grow back in be a nice young brown color again, instead of gray?? Why do new ones grow in old? How is that? but then what is old? A classification of color, material brittleness, etc?? How does it know to do this?).

Some amazing and massively indepth concepts of 'physical life' that we live with daily and still havent learned much about..

Bill

grunau_baby
January 25th, 2009, 00:49
Well, I learned the following when starting my multimedia-career long ago:
The simpler and better something looks and works on the outside the more complicated it is programmed/made on the inside. How true with many things (it also works for human relationships)...

Regards
Alex

Cazzie
January 25th, 2009, 04:32
It's in our DNA Bill and our ancestors.

I had very fine thin blond hair. Grew it long when I had it too, looked like Rick Wakeman of Yes,. The women loved it, soft as kitten fur.

At age thirty-seven I started losing my rich head of hair, at the back first (monk's dome). Now i am perfectly content with what could be described as "no" hair, though I do have some and it is still mostly blond, except for gray tinges on the sides.

Now my wife had thick jet-black hair, coarse, rough as horse hair. Her mother's entire family and my oldest son have this hair too. Thing is, they never go bald, but everyone of them are gray before they are forty.

So, we live and age. It is our head and our hearts that make us all that we can be, not in the chronological aging that is what it is going to be, a computer card programmed by a higher programmer than me.

Caz

cheezyflier
January 25th, 2009, 04:57
i was 20 with long flowing salt and pepper hair. then i was 30 and it was greay and white, and people were calling me edgar winter. i met a girl in a bar that i used to know in high school. she said "paul, why did you dye your hair? it makes you look old" she was naturally blonde.

Odie
January 25th, 2009, 05:13
I don't care what color my hair turns, as long as it doesn't turn loose ! :jump:

Pepere
January 25th, 2009, 06:03
I don't care what color my hair turns, as long as it doesn't turn loose ! :jump:

Mine done did both - color and loose! :friday:

David :kilroy:

mike_cyul
January 25th, 2009, 06:16
My understanding of aging (which could be totally wrong!) is that every time the DNA is used to reproduce a cell, a part of the DNA itself is lost in the process. After many cycles of reproduction, the 'set of instructions' is no longer as complete as it was, and starts producing a lesser grade of material. Which is why 50 year old DNA can't produce 20 year old eyebrows.

Also, as far as I understand it, injury requires many cell reproduction cycles to repair damage - which also uses up the DNA. Get many injuries to one spot, the 'older' that spot gets.

I've also heard that cancer works in part this way - when the DNA reproduction cycle is used to too great an extent (through smoking, whatever), the DNA instructions start to get really faulty, and can eventually produce out-of-control cells.

Not everyone has the same number of reproduction cycles in their DNA, which accounts for variance.

Could be totally wrong, but this is what I seem to remember! (I guess memory goes that way, too :) )

Mike

MyassisDragon
January 25th, 2009, 21:01
:icon_lol: Hair today, gone tomorrow.

ian elliot
January 25th, 2009, 23:33
This all reminds me of an observation from the Irish comic Dave Allen,
why is it, when you get older, you lose hair off the top of your head but it starts growing out of every hole in your body.
cheers ian

Willy
January 25th, 2009, 23:37
Mike, that's my understanding of the science behind aging as well.

simkid22
January 26th, 2009, 00:15
21 and can already find the whites although it doesn't help that all the rest are black (i blame my roommates lol)

Snuffy
January 26th, 2009, 03:56
Never give up ... I refuse to grow old!!

53 here ... not a gray hair on my head, (wish I could say the same for the beard but that's another story.) I still have a full head of hair that any 20 year old would envy ... still soft and silky, the kind women love to run their fingers through, (at least when I have a woman in my life to do that,) not a shade of a bald spot anywhere, and I loose hundreds on a daily basis.

I still get carded at the local waterin holes when I visit them. :)

:woot:

Daveroo
January 26th, 2009, 08:19
Hey all..

We have this cat, Tabbs.. She is a huge Raccoon looking thing with the most amazing coat of hair. Now and then, when I pet her, some hair comes off. I am always checking out her coat as the cammo pattern and colors amaze me, and I look at these hairs, and I think.. How can this beautiful coat come from hairs...? How can they arrange themselves to be symetrical on each side? How can they be diff colors in stripes on each and every hair??

The more I think on it, the more I am bewildered.... How can the DNA blueprint 'build chart' have all those amazing details in it, such as for a single hair.

So then, I go to a conversation I had with my two nephews on old age.. The Human body regenerates all cells in roughly 4 to 5 years, some in 2 years.. That means that your skeletan is only 2 to 5 years max old... Each cell has lived, died, and been replaced.

But........ What is really wierd is that this is also time/age/wear based also.... As you age, you rebuild cells with cells that are similar. If you look 20, then you rebuild 20 year old cells... if you are 40 or 60, then your cells replace the ones in that 'age area'. Its a odd concept to comprehend, but imagine this.. If your DNA short circuited and said 'make all skin for a 20 year old teenager' well, you realise all your skin would begin to look new again, etc....

So, you have a 'clock' program built into the blueprint system of the DNA.

(I constantly joke with other developers about my 'gray, stressed, aging, silver, brittle eyebrows.. But, why cant my 'new' eyebrows that grow back in be a nice young brown color again, instead of gray?? Why do new ones grow in old? How is that? but then what is old? A classification of color, material brittleness, etc?? How does it know to do this?).

Some amazing and massively indepth concepts of 'physical life' that we live with daily and still havent learned much about..

Bill

stop thinkin so much...ya gonna hurt yaself..........:173go1:

GT182
January 26th, 2009, 11:53
Snuffy come clean with us... it's a dyed toupe.

Isn't funny that the older you get hair grows in places it never did when you were younger. My wife always wants to wax my back now. She says I'm starting to look like an old gorilla. And yes, those are days when I go ape chit.

Snuffy
January 26th, 2009, 12:34
Snuffy come clean with us... it's a dyed toupe.

Actually, ... No! Its mine and its all real. :)

... Isn't funny that the older you get hair grows in places it never did when you were younger. ...

I use to have a saying ... "Grass doesn't grow on a playground ... well, unfortunately the playground hasn't been played on in sometime ... but that's a personal matter and a story for a differnt thread and time.
:monkies: