PDA

View Full Version : Unrep

gray eagle
October 3rd, 2014, 06:42
Using AI carrier and Pitching Deck, I was able to produce an Unrep scene with both ships moving and their wakes showing. Wish I could of done a youtube video of it.
It took some coordination and timing from me to get the ships along side in an Unrep scene. This is the USNS Patuxent and the big "E". I just love it when you can
select the "move forward" option in AI carriers.

http://i60.tinypic.com/4l64xz.jpg

Navy Chief
October 3rd, 2014, 06:47
Nice!! NC

expat
October 3rd, 2014, 06:59
I thought that AI carriers could not be used with Pitching Deck (one of the reasons I have not yet tried using the latter program).

gray eagle
October 3rd, 2014, 07:19
I thought that AI carriers could not be used with Pitching Deck (one of the reasons I have not yet tried using the latter program).

Oh but they can. They did for me. :adoration:

Between the two programs, interesting scenarios come to mind. :encouragement:

MCDesigns
October 3rd, 2014, 09:34
Very cool!!! Got a links to the ships, would love to try this myself.

Butcherbird17
October 3rd, 2014, 12:08
Very cool!!! Got a links to the ships, would love to try this myself.

The Big E is by TeamSDB you can get it at FSPilotshop. The Patuxent comes with Nimitz/Eisenhower and
is freeware. The one thing with the Patuxent is its modeled for the Nimitz class carriers, so the fuel line
and cargo lines don't match up well with Big E or any other carrier. There is a thread here from about a
year ago that this was discussed.
I set up Patuxent with Oriskany and then copied the Patuxent root folder
and renamed it (see below), then adjusted the height in the sim cfg to get it sit right for Oriskany. This way
you won't have the original Patuxent sitting to low for Nimitz.

In the sim.cfg adjust this: static_cg_height=-10.1 <<<to this.

Then add this to Aicarriers cfg

[formation.xx]
title=Oriskany (UNREP)
unit.0=USS_Oriskany, 0, 0
unit.1=VEH_PATUXENT_UNREP, 92, 40

And this one for Big E if you have it.

[formation.xx]
title=USS Enterprise (CVN65) Underway Replenishment (UNREP)
unit.0=VEH_CVN65_Enterprise_90s_Empty, 0, 0
unit.1=USNS_PATUXENT_UNREP, 102, -50

Think I'll set up Midway and see how that looks.:mixed-smiley-010:

Joe</to>

MCDesigns
October 3rd, 2014, 12:50
Thanks for the info Joe, much appreciated. I am picky with textures, gotta have some shadowing/AO baked in and didn't think the Enterprise would look that good, nice to know, will pick it up.

Butcherbird17
October 3rd, 2014, 14:07
Thanks for the info Joe, much appreciated. I am picky with textures, gotta have some shadowing/AO baked in and didn't think the Enterprise would look that good, nice to know, will pick it up.

No problem Michael. Big E is worth the few bucks to pick up if you like naval aviation and carrier ops.
Here are few pics. First one of Oriskany and you can see how you have to set Patuxent a little forward
to get the cargo on the flight deck. Last 2 are of Big E, one from the hanger deck.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/Butcherbird17/UNREP_00_zpsb1980ce9.jpg~original (http://s20.photobucket.com/user/Butcherbird17/media/UNREP_00_zpsb1980ce9.jpg.html)

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/Butcherbird17/UNREP_01_zps1f87e64a.jpg~original (http://s20.photobucket.com/user/Butcherbird17/media/UNREP_01_zps1f87e64a.jpg.html)

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/Butcherbird17/UNREP_02_zpsfb47c467.jpg~original (http://s20.photobucket.com/user/Butcherbird17/media/UNREP_02_zpsfb47c467.jpg.html)

Joe

delta_lima
October 3rd, 2014, 15:05
No problem Michael. Big E is worth the few bucks to pick up if you like naval aviation and carrier ops.
Here are few pics. First one of Oriskany and you can see how you have to set Patuxent a little forward
to get the cargo on the flight deck. Last 2 are of Big E, one from the hanger deck.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/Butcherbird17/UNREP_00_zpsb1980ce9.jpg~original (http://s20.photobucket.com/user/Butcherbird17/media/UNREP_00_zpsb1980ce9.jpg.html)

Joe

Hi Joe,

Who's Oriskany is that? Is that Gary's from last year? Looks awesome - can't find my latest beta link, but I think it wasn't quite to that level of completion last time I tested it ... :applause:

cheers,

dl

gray eagle
October 3rd, 2014, 16:03
Thanks Joe for the AI carriers input. That makes it a lot easier to have both ships together in an unrep mode.

Where can you get the Oriskany?

http://i60.tinypic.com/2qs9zwg.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/24e6via.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/e827bo.jpg

Butcherbird17
October 3rd, 2014, 16:16
Hi Joe,

Who's Oriskany is that? Is that Gary's from last year? Looks awesome - can't find my latest beta link, but I think it wasn't quite to that level of completion last time I tested it ... :applause:

cheers,

dl

Yes its Gary's last version from last year. The zip I have is dated 9/1/13, and I think that is the latest.

Grey Eagle,
I forgot all about Mispillion. I have her in my fs9 install, so i'll pull her over to fsx and set it up. She
will look better with carriers she sailed with.

Edit... GE you can get her here:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?81966-USS-Oriskany-SCB-27C-125A-zip&highlight=Oriskany

Joe

gray eagle
October 3rd, 2014, 16:25
Joe,

That would be cool if you can get the Mispillion to work in AI Carriers. I think it had a Union 76 Ball on the fantail that rotated. Very cool. :triumphant:

I found the Oriskany and will add it to the AI carriers listing and change the sim.cfg you mentioned so it sits better in the water.

Butcherbird17
October 3rd, 2014, 17:24
Well looks like Mispillion is a no go. She will not show in Aicarriers no matter what I do.:banghead:
GE, one thing I forgot to mention in my post above for Patuxent. When you make a copy of
Patuxent, you need to rename the model.cfg, the mdl file's, the model folder, the root folder
and the entries in the sim.cfg. Otherwise she will not show. I named mine VEH_PATUXENT, but
you can name it anything. Just make sure the name is the same for all the above.

Joe

Flyboy208
October 3rd, 2014, 20:36
Pretty cool to be able to recreate an UNREP within FSX ... having seen 2 in real life aboard The USS Abraham Lincoln, quite the impressive ops they were ! Mike :wavey:

jeansy
October 3rd, 2014, 21:33
UNREP, you mean RAS-L and RAS-S with a possible VERTREP

all fun until you break a spanwire and loose the probe in the drink and have to recover 250kg probe and few 100kg worth of hoses that contain about 300t of f76 fuel

gray eagle
October 4th, 2014, 04:14
UNREP, you mean RAS-L and RAS-S with a possible VERTREP

all fun until you break a spanwire and loose the probe in the drink and have to recover 250kg probe and few 100kg worth of hoses that contain about 300t of f76 fuel

Tell ya what shipmate,

I've experienced a few emergency breakaways (in the Med) when those Ruskie spy ships get a little nosy and decide to slide by our port side and get in front/between us and do zig zags
(kind of like thumbing their nose at us). They never could master the art of a side by side unrep and were fascinated how we could do that. They would transfer fuel one ship
in front of the receiving ship. Been there, seen that, got the T-Shirt.

jeansy
October 4th, 2014, 04:29
Tell ya what shipmate,

I've experienced a few emergency breakaways (in the Med) when those Ruskie spy ships get a little nosy and decide to slide by our port side and get in front/between us and do zig zags
(kind of like thumbing there nose at us). They never could master the art of a side by side unrep and were fascinated how we could do that. They would transfer fuel one ship
in front of the receiving ship. Been there seen that and got the T-Shirt.

you know then, Im on a tanker at the mo and loved RIMPAC, we just sat off the coast and did race tracks for the 5 wks, longest RAS day started at 1600 and finished at 2am with 4 RASs at my station that day then followed up with 0800 avcat transfer

got a great tan from that day and lost a few Kgs as well

I will have to see if i can upload my helmet cam onto utube, i record of all my RASs in case something goes wrong and they try and blame me, at least this way, the bridge have got no come back once they watch the footage, plus its a great training tool for the troops

gray eagle
October 4th, 2014, 05:22
Yes its Gary's last version from last year. The zip I have is dated 9/1/13, and I think that is the latest.

Grey Eagle,
I forgot all about Mispillion. I have her in my fs9 install, so i'll pull her over to fsx and set it up. She
will look better with carriers she sailed with.

Edit... GE you can get her here:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?81966-USS-Oriskany-SCB-27C-125A-zip&highlight=Oriskany

Joe

Joe,

I think that the static a/c on the FD has the wrong cag letters (NP) on the tails. NP was on the USS Hancock. I think this was previously discussed before and a corrected version of the "O" was reissued to correct the tail letters of the correct CAG on board circa 1967.

This is circa 1967 pic of one of aircraft onboard "O" boat that shows AH vice NP on tail.

gray eagle
October 4th, 2014, 05:29
The Big E is by TeamSDB you can get it at FSPilotshop. The Patuxent comes with Nimitz/Eisenhower and
is freeware. The one thing with the Patuxent is its modeled for the Nimitz class carriers, so the fuel line
and cargo lines don't match up well with Big E or any other carrier. There is a thread here from about a
year ago that this was discussed.
I set up Patuxent with Oriskany and then copied the Patuxent root folder
and renamed it (see below), then adjusted the height in the sim cfg to get it sit right for Oriskany. This way
you won't have the original Patuxent sitting to low for Nimitz.

In the sim.cfg adjust this: static_cg_height=-10.1 <<<to this.

Then add this to Aicarriers cfg

[formation.xx]
title=Oriskany (UNREP)

And this one for Big E if you have it.

[formation.xx]
title=USS Enterprise (CVN65) Underway Replenishment (UNREP)
unit.0=VEH_CVN65_Enterprise_90s_Empty, 0, 0
unit.1=USNS_PATUXENT_UNREP, 102, -50

Think I'll set up Midway and see how that looks.:mixed-smiley-010:

Joe</to>

Joe,

When the Pax river didn't show with the "O", I did a little trouble shooting and noticed that the spelling of unit.1 in the "O" boat is not spelled the same as unit.1 for the Big "E".

Just thought you'd like to know.

tailspin45
October 4th, 2014, 06:09
In a two-ship flight of EA-6Bs, flying off Connie (CVA-64) in August 1973, we made a low pass over an AGI and tanker dead in the water with a hose between them. Their version of UNREP, our version of finding something to do because the war was over and the prisoners had been released. Over the UHF, I said to the crew of the other aircraft, "One of these days the Ruskies will learn how to UNREP like a real Navy." The response on our freq, in Slavic-tinted English, "****** you, Yankee."

gray eagle
October 4th, 2014, 07:11
Footages of the aircraft carrier USS George H. W. Bush (CVN 77) conducting a refueling at sea with the USNS Tippecanoe (T-AO 199). USS George H. W. Bush is deployed to the U.S. 5th Fleet area of responsibility on its first operational deployment conducting maritime security operations and support missions as part of Operations Enduring Freedom and New Dawn.

I like that cart of winders on the FD on the Bush in the background rolling along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--fK3UFck7c

Butcherbird17
October 4th, 2014, 07:16
Joe,

When the Pax river didn't show with the "O", I did a little trouble shooting and noticed that the spelling of unit.1 in the "O" boat is not spelled the same as unit.1 for the Big "E".

Just thought you'd like to know.

That's because I made a copy of the Pax folder and renamed it. I did this so I would not need to adjust the height of Pax
every time I wanted her with Nimitz or Enterprise class carriers.

Joe

expat
October 4th, 2014, 10:05
Forgotten about the Patuxent - thanks. Have the Sea King angel in the middle keeping an eye also on the unrep. Note the rotor wash below.

http://s18.postimg.org/zbbcah3w9/unrep.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

gray eagle
October 4th, 2014, 10:07
That's because I made a copy of the Pax folder and renamed it. I did this so I would not need to adjust the height of Pax
every time I wanted her with Nimitz or Enterprise class carriers.

Joe

Okay... I tried that trick and I don't get the pax to show, just the Oriskany.

Here is picture of folder setup. When I used the same folder (USNS_PATUXENT_UNREP) it shows with the Enterprise.

expat
October 4th, 2014, 10:11
Nice night lighting effects on both ships by Javier . .

http://s24.postimg.org/sa8bj1b7p/unrep.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Butcherbird17
October 4th, 2014, 11:48
Okay... I tried that trick and I don't get the pax to show, just the Oriskany.

Here is picture of folder setup. When I used the same folder (USNS_PATUXENT_UNREP) it shows with the Enterprise.

In one of my posts above.

GE, one thing I forgot to mention in my post above for Patuxent. When you make a copy of
Patuxent, you need to rename the model.cfg, the mdl file's, the model folder, the root folder
and the entries in the sim.cfg. Otherwise she will not show. I named mine VEH_PATUXENT, but
you can name it anything. Just make sure the name is the same for all the above.

So you need to set it up like this.
Make a copy of the Pax main (root) folder, and rename it to VEH_PATUXENT.
Now go in and rename both model folders (model.VEH_PATUXENT and model.VEH_PATUXENT_UNREP)
Now open both model folders and rename the mdl files. (make sure the name is the same for the folder you are in)
While in there open the model.cfg and rename the same. Once done with that open the sim.cfg and rename both
entries the same as the model it calls for, like this:

[fltsim.0]
title=VEH_PATUXENT
model=VEH_PATUXENT
texture=

[fltsim.1]
title=VEH_PATUXENT_UNREP
model=VEH_PATUXENT_UNREP
texture=

Also make sure to adjust the height in the cfg (as in my first post) so that the cargo is not floating above the flight deck.
Hope that helps you out.

Joe

gray eagle
October 4th, 2014, 13:33
Joe,

I did all you said to do, at least I think so. cargo is still high off flight deck.

Was that sim.cfg adjustment (static_cg_height=-10.1 <<) for the patuxent? That is the one I adjusted. I even changed the value to about half that and still have high in the sky cargo.
At least the pax is visable now with the carrier.

Butcherbird17
October 4th, 2014, 13:56
Joe,

I did all you said to do, at least I think so. cargo is still high off flight deck.

Was that sim.cfg adjustment (static_cg_height=-10.1 <<) for the patuxent? That is the one I adjusted. I even changed the value to about half that and still have high in the sky cargo.
At least the pax is visable now with the carrier.

Yes the static_cg_height is what I adjusted. (-10.1) If you put that in half the Pax will raise and then the cargo will be floating above the flight deck. Being that the UNREP version of the Pax is one whole model you can't adjust just the cargo.
One other thing I do to all my naval ships is lower the speed from 50 to 30 in the sim.cfg. From the look of the pic, I think the
big O is faster then the Pax.

Joe

gray eagle
October 4th, 2014, 14:10
OK boat ships are dancing at the same speed i.e. 30knots. However, the cargo is still a bit high.

here is the sim.cfg from both ships:

[fltsim.0]
title=USS_Oriskany
model=
texture=

[General]
category=Boat

[contact_points]
static_pitch=0.0 //degrees, pitch when at rest on the ground (+=Up, -=Dn)
//static_cg_height=0.0 //feet, altitude of CG when at rest on the ground
static_cg_height=-10.1

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[fltsim.0]
title=VEH_PATUXENT
model=VEH_PATUXENT
texture=

[fltsim.1]
title=VEH_PATUXENT_UNREP
model=VEH_PATUXENT_UNREP
texture=

[General]
category=Boat

[contact_points]
static_pitch=0.0 //degrees, pitch when at rest on the ground (+=Up, -=Dn)
//static_cg_height=0.0 //feet, altitude of CG when at rest on the ground
static_cg_height=-10.1 <<<< both the same for each boat.

Butcherbird17
October 4th, 2014, 14:27
Change the Oriskany height back to 0.0, that should fix it. You only need to adjust the height of the Pax.

Joe

gray eagle
October 4th, 2014, 14:35
Change the Oriskany height back to 0.0, that should fix it. You only need to adjust the height of the Pax.

Joe

That fixed it, for the most part. There are a few pallets strewn over the deck edge but I guess that is as good as it gets. Thanks for your help and time. :encouragement:
I think the cargo on the pax was meant for use on the bigger carriers like the "E" or Nimitz (Wider deck)

Butcherbird17
October 4th, 2014, 15:58
You can adjust that in the cfg of aicarriers.

[formation.xx]
title=Oriskany (UNREP)

The first set of numbers ( , 0, ) is center, if you make it a ( , 1, ) it will move to the right ( , -1, ) to the left.
Second set ( , 0 ) is center ( , 1 ) forward, ( , -1 ) is back. I think the numbers are in feet, at least that is
how I use it.:biggrin-new:

Joe

gray eagle
October 4th, 2014, 16:34
You can adjust that in the cfg of aicarriers.

[formation.xx]
title=Oriskany (UNREP)

The first set of numbers ( , 0, ) is center, if you make it a ( , 1, ) it will move to the right ( , -1, ) to the left.
Second set ( , 0 ) is center ( , 1 ) forward, ( , -1 ) is back. I think the numbers are in feet, at least that is
how I use it.:biggrin-new:

Joe

This is what I did:

[formation.14]
title=Oriskany Patuxent (UNREP)
unit.0=USS_Oriskany, 0, 25 <<<< I figured that this would move the overhanging pallets inboard approx 25 feet to the right. Still f=got stuff some pallets over deck edge.

I got the impression from your numbers that in the first set i.e. 0, 0 I needed to change that 2nd 0 so as to move the cargo to the right. At least its all on the Flight Deck.

Butcherbird17
October 4th, 2014, 17:46
Ok, I think I may have confused you, and it was not my intention. In the entry that I posted the only
numbers that need to be played with are the ones for the Pax. I was trying to explain what those numbers do.
Hope that I explained it better this time.
The VEH_PATUXENT_UNREP model + the fuel and cargo lines + the cargo on the flight deck and hanger deck
are all one model. So no way to move just the cargo unless we had the source files.

Joe

gray eagle
October 4th, 2014, 18:07
Ok, I think I may have confused you, and it was not my intention. In the entry that I posted the only
numbers that need to be played with are the ones for the Pax. I was trying to explain what those numbers do.
Hope that I explained it better this time.
The VEH_PATUXENT_UNREP model + the fuel and cargo lines + the cargo on the flight deck and hanger deck
are all one model. So no way to move just the cargo unless we had the source files.

Joe

Okay,

Thanks for explaining all that. For a moment, I thought that there might of been a way to move that overhanging cargo to where it would all be on the flight deck. So, it all has to
do with the model files. So in essence, what I see it what I get, at least with the smaller carriers when using the pax river. With the "E" or Nimitz, all that Pax cargo will all fit nicely
on the flight deck with no issues such as I experienced with the Oriskany and I suspect the Midway although, it would be interesting to see how the Pax cargo fits on the Midway.

Thank you for all your help and it's been a learning experience for me. :encouragement::adoration:

Butcherbird17
October 4th, 2014, 20:16
Glad I could help. You can still get the cargo onto the flight deck by moving the Pax to the right. I have been
playing with Pax and Midway, but you need to adjust the height of Pax so the cargo is not floating or raise Midway
up a few feet which would be the better thing to do. This way Pax will fit both Midway and Oriskany.

[formation.xx]
title=USS_Midway (UNREP)
unit.0=USS_Midway, 0, 0
unit.1=VEH_PATUXENT_UNREP, 98, -100

Joe

gray eagle
October 5th, 2014, 04:26
Joe,

With those coordinates for the Pax/Midway, the Pax's bow was about halfway back the length (abeam) of the Midway so I use these coordinates and they are now
alongside each other in the proper alignment. All the cargo is on the Midway's FD with no pallets over the edge.

[formation.xx]
title=USS_Midway (UNREP)
unit.0=USS_Midway, 0, 0
unit.1=VEH_PATUXENT_UNREP, 98, -100 <<<< I changed the -100 to 40 and that pulled the pax forward to correct alignment alongside Midway.

formation.xx]
title=USS_Midway (UNREP)
unit.0=USS_Midway, 0, 0

Butcherbird17
October 5th, 2014, 06:34
I had her sitting aft like that so the cargo line was going into the aft hanger bay opening. It looked better to me.
When I had it forward like in your pic the forward fuel line was just going into the hull of Midway and just didn't
look right. Glad you like it and that you now know how to play around with the settings.:ernaehrung004:

Joe

gray eagle
October 5th, 2014, 06:50
Joe,

I think that the Pax was perhaps made to scale for the bigger carriers hence a better fit in all aspects when along side the "E" and the other super carriers.
But, giving the situations with the smaller carriers, we make do what we have.

Would like to see your rendition of a RAS with the Mispillion and the other carriers. Too bad it doesn't have an unrep mode modeld in like the Pax.

:engel016: