PDA

View Full Version : Skysim British Aerospace Hawk T1? Where to buy?

Cleartheprop
October 2nd, 2014, 01:36
Hello All!

I'd like to get this add-on but it seems impossible to get from the Skysim website..
Does anyone know where to find this old add-on? ot where to get in touch with the designer?

Thank you!

Roger
October 2nd, 2014, 01:51
Asking on the CBFSIM forum would be a good bet I think.

TARPSBird
October 2nd, 2014, 02:12
What was it about the Skysim website that caused a problem for you? I got a prompt about a security certificate expiration but I was able to get past that and go to check-out with the Hawk T1 download version, although I didn't purchase.

dhazelgrove
October 2nd, 2014, 03:07
Hello All!

I'd like to get this add-on but it seems impossible to get from the Skysim website..
Does anyone know where to find this old add-on? ot where to get in touch with the designer?

Thank you!

You can get it here (http://www.sky-sim.co.uk/catalog/index.php).

Dave

Cleartheprop
October 2nd, 2014, 05:00
You can get it here (http://www.sky-sim.co.uk/catalog/index.php).

Dave

Thank you Dave.

Purchased, downloaded and installed Waiting for the activation code.

Cleartheprop
October 2nd, 2014, 05:11
Wow! That was quick. Activation code received within minutes. Hawk activated and ready to fly.

noddy
October 2nd, 2014, 08:29
Rick Piper did a lovely job on this.

MCDesigns
October 2nd, 2014, 09:17
Wow, thanks for the link, wasn't aware it was available again. I thought it got pulled, something about Rick not seeing any of the money from the sales, or something.
Anyone got any VC images, really thinking of getting this one.

kdfw
October 2nd, 2014, 10:09
review w/ pics

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0908/Skysim/Hawk.htm

MCDesigns
October 2nd, 2014, 10:14
review w/ pics

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0908/Skysim/Hawk.htm

Thanks!!!:applause:

WarHorse47
October 2nd, 2014, 12:08
Is the install straightforward once you get the activation code, or are there additional steps??

DaveB
October 2nd, 2014, 12:16
I'm not sure how it's setup now. You used to have to use a code generator and whatever that gave, you sent to Skysim. They'd then send an unlock code.

Rick is, as far as I know, handling this pretty much single handed at the moment and has continued with support/re-activation requests since the 'apparent' demise of the shop (though the shop does still work despite the security warnings). He'll have you sorted in no time;)

Quote from Rick a couple of weeks ago..
Skysim was sold to a new owner quite a while ago.
Nobody knows the Logins for the site where the files are kept and Gordon is no longer contactable.

That's why it looks dead.

It will purchase fine and I have no idea what the errors are that people are seeing but guess it's because the Site is now using very old code.
I cannot get on the Skysim Forum as I was blocked from Access somehow when company was sold.

All Hawk Support mail (Not activations) are passed onto me so there should be no major problems at all.
Unquote

ATB
DaveB:)

WarHorse47
October 2nd, 2014, 17:37
Is the install straightforward once you get the activation code, or are there additional steps??Shall I bump?? :bump::bump:

I've read where there are some issues with the older install process, so I'm interested to know if its a hassle or not.

Thanks

William Njurmi
October 2nd, 2014, 22:10
This could be a real seller if it was sold in one of the regular sim shops...

fsafranek
October 2nd, 2014, 22:28
Nobody knows the Logins for the site where the files are kept and Gordon is no longer contactable.

I think I can still log in as an admin to the forum but I was never able to get to the files location (never tried really).
MickeyD might be able to since he had all the Team SDB scenery there before it sort of imploded.

Some boxed CDs were made and sold at UK air shows by Skysim years ago.

Any problem with the install process, unless it has changed, was with getting the activation code
since it was manual process and the guy doing it (Gordon) did tend to go to sleep at night (UK time).
:ernaehrung004:

dhazelgrove
October 3rd, 2014, 03:16
http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2014/10/03/4lcMW.jpg

If you don't have this one - get it. You won't be sorry.

Dave

Cleartheprop
October 3rd, 2014, 04:03
Is the install straightforward once you get the activation code, or are there additional steps??

Installation is really straightforward. (2 steps)

1. Download, run the installation file, send the activation code request.

2. Once received, activate your add-on (by entering the activation code in a pop-up window) and here you go.

The whole process took me 15 minutes (including the add-on activation).

And as Dave said, I am not sorry of my purchase!

WarHorse47
October 3rd, 2014, 11:47
Almost there.

Just sent information for an activation code.

I almost gave up. First go around their payment system aborted. Likely because I changed to US Dollars. On my second attempt I left things as they were in British Pounds, and my order went though.

EDIT: Well, dang. It's pat 8:00 PM there now, so I likely won't get my activation code until Monday.

MikeH
October 3rd, 2014, 22:57
I bought the Skysim Hawk a few years ago and thought that it was absolutely superb. However, I found that trying to activate the product was a real pain & I know that there's a few out there who have also had hassles. I was never able to set it up on my new PC so gave up in the end.

I did think about returning to this excellent aircraft a little while ago; buying it again but boxed as opposed to download, but the activation woes have scared me off.

Have activation issues put anyone else off?

Mike

William Njurmi
October 4th, 2014, 01:36
Well, the rumours concerning the activation and shady webpage has kept me from buing it. And a couple of other simmers too.

dhazelgrove
October 4th, 2014, 02:26
I must confess that I also had activation issues, but Rick was helpfulness personified and sorted me out in short order.

Dave

WarHorse47
October 4th, 2014, 04:34
I had a little hiccup in ordering the download when their payment system would not accept my order. And my virus protection indicated some issues with their web page. But my order went through and the charges are on my credit card.

Because I placed my order late Friday, I will have to wait until the next U.K. business day to get my activation code. That's what happens when its not an automated process. It would have been nice to have that information available BEFORE I placed my order, rather than submit the registration data and receive an automatic e-mail.

Their office hours are 9:00 am to 4:30 pm, U.K. time. Since they are 8 hours ahead of me, the earliest I could expect my activation code would be 1:00 am Monday morning.

My only concern at the moment is who is managing the order process. I read somewhere that there were some changes and that Rick is handling the orders, yet the e-mail address remains with skysim? It's a little confusing if one doesn't know the whole story, and I hope I do receive my activation code at some point.

Cleartheprop
October 4th, 2014, 06:20
I had a little hiccup in ordering the download when their payment system would not accept my order. And my virus protection indicated some issues with their web page. But my order went through and the charges are on my credit card.

Because I placed my order late Friday, I will have to wait until the next U.K. business day to get my activation code. That's what happens when its not an automated process. It would have been nice to have that information available BEFORE I placed my order, rather than submit the registration data and receive an automatic e-mail.

Their office hours are 9:00 am to 4:30 pm, U.K. time. Since they are 8 hours ahead of me, the earliest I could expect my activation code would be 1:00 am Monday morning.

My only concern at the moment is who is managing the order process. I read somewhere that there were some changes and that Rick is handling the orders, yet the e-mail address remains with skysim? It's a little confusing if one doesn't know the whole story, and I hope I do receive my activation code at some point.

I purchased the Hawk yesterday and received the activation code within 15 minutes of the installation (which place during office hours).
I guess it means that someone is still taking care of sending those codes to new customers.

Too bad the process is not automated though and that you have to wait 3 days to get your add-on working...

WarHorse47
October 4th, 2014, 06:59
I purchased the Hawk yesterday and received the activation code within 15 minutes of the installation (which place during office hours).
I guess it means that someone is still taking care of sending those codes to new customers.

Too bad the process is not automated though and that you have to wait 3 days to get your add-on working...Yeah. Ain't modern technology wonderful. :teapot:

DaveB
October 4th, 2014, 11:47
Quote: I read somewhere that there were some changes and that Rick is handling the orders, yet the e-mail address remains with skysim?

Yes WH.. I posted above. Rick is handling everything except first time activations. Although few seem to know who the hell is in charge now, support emails are being sent/forwarded to Rick (I presume from the new owners) and he's dealing with them as they come in. If it was Rick handling the initial activations, you'd have heard back already. It's a bit of a pigs ear and no mistakin' and the whole setup doesn't inspire confidence but it does work. Sri you're having to wait so long:(

ATB

WarHorse47
October 5th, 2014, 20:21
Thanks, Dave. Hope you are right.

It's 9:18 pm Pacific Time and I'm ready to hit the sack and do some reading. I have not received anything from Skysim since placing my order last Friday, 12:30 p.m. Tomorrow is the next business day in the U.K., so I hope to have my activation code when I fire up the computer tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how this goes.

Cheers :very_drunk:

511Flyer
October 6th, 2014, 00:43
It's long been a favourite of mine and the VFR Flyers. There was a texture problem in MP, but Rick sorted that out for us. You get all the Reds, plus there's a stack of textures available.

http://s26.postimg.org/6jgglj2eh/4_Flyers.jpg

:applause:

DaveB
October 6th, 2014, 01:04
Yes indeed! I think the original plan was to have the additional textures bundled with the model but as the product is endorsed by the RAF.. they put a block on anything other than the 'Reds' scheme being sold with it. No problem though.. the additional schemes are readily available and new ones pop up all the time. We host a PK for it at CBFS too;)

ATB

WarHorse47
October 6th, 2014, 05:34
Activation code received.

Now its time to fly and track down those beautiful repaints.

Dave, is there a new link to the CBFS library?? My old one no longer works. Thanks.

DaveB
October 6th, 2014, 05:59
Hiya WH:wavey:

Glad your activation has been received;)

Here's the current link to our library.. http://www.cbfsim.co.uk/cbfs_lib/

Any probs.. just holler:encouragement:

ATB

grog swiller
October 6th, 2014, 06:00
The pilots don't show when playing back an FSrecording of a flight. Does anyone know how to make them show up on playback?

WarHorse47
October 6th, 2014, 06:16
Thanks again, Dave

But we're not there yet.

I ran into activation problems. The activation code was accepted by the activate.exe process, but when I went to fly it indicated I had to press the ILS Marker to activate. I went back to the manual to find that switch, restarted and pressed the ILS Marker but it wouldn't activate. So after so many seconds the sim stopped and I exited. Frustrating, very frustrating.

DaveB
October 6th, 2014, 06:59
It must be.. and I know I'd feel somewhat peeved too:(

The main reason Skysim went to these lengths was because the Sea Vixen appeared on the torrents a very short time after release. Some would say they went over the top! Whether it actually worked in stopping it being hacked is open to question though I'm sure it delayed the process. Fingers crossed your support question is answered asap;)

ATB

WarHorse47
October 6th, 2014, 08:22
I've got the Vixen both in FS9 and FSX, and its one of my favorites.

I finally reached Rick, and all is well now.

Apparently there are some communication delays between him and Skysim which added to the delay.

MikeH
October 6th, 2014, 11:55
The activation code was accepted by the activate.exe process, but when I went to fly it indicated I had to press the ILS Marker to activate. I went back to the manual to find that switch, restarted and pressed the ILS Marker but it wouldn't activate.

The above quote is exactly the same problem I had.
I fully understand what DaveB is saying regarding torrents. It's so damn unfair that so much hard work can be stolen so easily. It's not like the Hawk is even ridiculously expensive. I would say that it's seriously good value for money. The problem is that in making the product 'thief proof' its excluded a lot of decent people who wanted to pay for it. Some may say that activation for them was a breeze and can't see what the fuss is about. Others will tell of frustration that ended in defeat i.e. paid their money with no useable product at the end of it (me). Do I want a refund though? No, because I hope and believe that it'll be sorted out some day & I will finally be able to fly the Hawk.

Mike

myles
October 6th, 2014, 14:13
If you're using Windows Vista, 7 or 8, you may have to turn UAS off to be able to fly it. I believe I read that somewhere and it seems to have worked for me.

Hope you get it working as it is quite nice to fly (I can even manage to land it without crashing! :mixed-smiley-010:

Best,
Myles

DaveB
October 6th, 2014, 15:24
I'm pleased Rick was able to sort you out WH:encouragement:

Mike.. try firing another support email off and hope it gets to Rick rather than falling off the end of a piece of wire somewhere;)

Myles.. I think I have UAC turned off (Win7 Ultimate). I couldn't be doing with it questioning everything I wanted to do so it had to go:rocket:

ATB

Cleartheprop
October 7th, 2014, 02:57
I've got the Vixen both in FS9 and FSX, and its one of my favorites.

I finally reached Rick, and all is well now.

Apparently there are some communication delays between him and Skysim which added to the delay.

Happy ending! I am relieved as I started this thread, I felt responsible ;)

Enjoy the Hawk!

WarHorse47
October 7th, 2014, 06:59
Thanks for all your comments and letting me vent. :very_drunk:

Cleartheprop, I had some idea as to what I was getting into. I delayed getting the Hawk because of what I read here and on other forums. Since your purchase went clean and smooth, I figured it was worth a try. Nobody could foresee that placing an order on Friday would be such a hassle due to the time zone differences and the unknown fact that they function only during banking hours. Nor did we anticipate the relationship (or lack thereof) between purchase, product activation and support.

Anyways, I can finally enjoy the Hawk. Good addition to my setup. Been having fun flying different loadout configurations and practicing my ILS landings. :adoration: