PDA

View Full Version : What about FSX activations in the future?

Navy Chief
January 24th, 2009, 17:45
I have had to uninstall/reinstall FSX several times since I bought it. With regards to the activation process, what will MS do concerning that? Is this a cause for concern?

NC

harleyman
January 24th, 2009, 17:51
I really don't know...But I would assume they still have to stand behind that process... Its still for sale....

But I was wrong before......LOL

Craig Taylor
January 24th, 2009, 18:08
I would imagine that's all handled by their customer service reps, not the design studio. Apologies if someone has already covered that somewhere else.

Lionheart
January 24th, 2009, 18:30
Yep, this might be so. MS might be handling it since its under their umbrella operation and still being sold, an 'active' product line.

Bill

CodyValkyrie
January 24th, 2009, 19:27
As Bill said, it is still being sold (as well as copies of FS2004). As long as it is an active product, and one producing them money, they will continue to support the activation system. I don't see this changing for some time.

Wozza
January 24th, 2009, 21:31
Hi
I wouldnt worry to much about it all
Just had a quick look around the net and there are plenty of workarounds for
the activation should it all go pear shaped.Also was in a local pooter shop the other day and notice FS98 was still for sale for $9.95 funny thing is the distributor was ubisoft :)
Cheers
Wozza

heywooood
January 24th, 2009, 21:35
yeah I wouldn't worry about future activation issues - but I DO think the game and SDK service packs might become scarce...unless fan sites like this one are given the right to make them available

spotlope
January 24th, 2009, 21:43
The SDKs are on the game DVDs, provided you have the pro version or Acceleration. No worries there. Acceleration comes with all required service packs as well.

harleyman
January 25th, 2009, 02:00
Well I have two copies of each..I believe I will hold on two them both anyways....:amen:

SkippyBing
January 25th, 2009, 02:03
As I mentioned elsewhere, the activation process isn't unique to FSX, it's also used by Office, Windows etc. so there's no real gain for MS to stop supporting it any time soon, it's just another entry in the activation database.

fliger747
January 25th, 2009, 08:13
You wann'a activate what????