PDA

View Full Version : Carrier FLOLS with RFN Gauge v4.1: An appeal for help...

spatialpro
September 24th, 2014, 04:48
Hello all,

Can you help please?

I'm trying to use the RFN Gauge 4.1 in Prepar3D v2.3. Since this version was released I can now see the FLOLS lights on the Flying Stations 1960 Victorious, but only on my second (or subsequent) flights and only when starting the flights on the carrier (rather than flying out to the carrier from an airfield). However, everything works fine for me, first flight and from an airfield, using the Charles de Gaulle (CDG). Can anyone confirm the same happens for them, or do you experience something different?

I'm in touch with the author of the RFN Gauge, Sylvain Parouty, and I'm trying to figure out if I'm the only one with these issues or not.... Your help would be appreciated...

Off to re-check my installation of the RFN Gauge in 1960 HMS Victorious...

Many thanks indeed

Andy

robcarrich
September 24th, 2014, 06:22
I think we've been here before Andy.
I took off from Lee on Solent flew "east-ish" then opened "AI Carriers" with five miles to go to Victorious.
Everything seems to works as it should first time around, using RFN gauge.

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb400/robcarrich/Attacker_Victorious_zps80144420.jpg (http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/robcarrich/media/Attacker_Victorious_zps80144420.jpg.html)

RobR

robcarrich
September 24th, 2014, 06:38
Here is my RFN entry in the panel cfg

[Window03]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=170,285
windowsize_ratio=0.4
window_pos=0.790,0.550
visible=0
ident=49
gauge00=RFN_CarrierGauge!Close_Subpanel, 0, 2, 17, 18, c49
gauge01=RFN_CarrierGauge!Aircraft_Carrier_Indicato r, 0, 0, 170, 220
gauge02=RFN_CarrierGauge!Radio_TACAN_ARN52B, 0, 222, 170, 068

[Vcockpit01]
file=Panel
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=512,512
position=7
visible=1
ident=
pixel_size=256,256
texture=$pan1

gauge00=
gauge01=
gauge02=

//-------------Gauge Carrier Operations Nav2----------------------------
gauge23=RFN_CarrierGauge!TACAN_Navigation, 0, 0, 0, 0, Nav2
gauge24=RFN_CarrierGauge!CustomCatapult, 0, 0,
gauge25=RFN_CarrierGauge!Approach_Ctrl, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0.0
gauge26=DSD_Sound_Gauge!Sound, 0, 0,

spatialpro
September 24th, 2014, 07:42
Hi Rob,

Many thanks indeed for your incredibly useful post. Now I know others having it all working OK! It could just be me after all!

I did a re-install of the RFN Gauge and then a re-install of 1960 HMS Victorious, but the problem persists. I don't see the lights (but the TACAN does lock on and I do get the Whirlwind and the sound of FDO giving instructions) unless I start my 2nd flight on the deck. It is driving me crazy! I'm starting to wonder whether a complete install is the way to go (I sure hope not)!

Does anyone have any ideas at all what I might be missing??

cheers

Andy

SkippyBing
September 24th, 2014, 11:40
Andy, when you don't see the FLOLS lights are any other effects missing? e.g. smoke from the funnel, noise from the Whirlwind?
It sounds like the effects aren't loading if you start too far away from the carrier, rather than being an issue with the RFN gauge. I think the CdG uses a self illuminating material rather than effect files for the FLOLS so it wouldn't suffer the same issue.

spatialpro
September 24th, 2014, 12:21
I definitely get the smoke from the funnel. I haven't listened to the Whirlwind hard enough!

Does it all work fine for you Phil??

spatialpro
September 24th, 2014, 13:59
OK, here's the thing. I have a preference for flying to/from ships following AI routes, created using aibtc02. This includes HMS Victorious. All the flying I've done to/from Victorious in recent months has been in this way, and I've consistently had the problem with the FLOLS. Today I randomly used AI Carriers (with Victorious starting less than 10 miles ahead) and on the first and every flight the FLOLS were visible.

Does this give any clues to the problem?

Can anyone recreate my problem using an aibtc02 route??

Andy

spatialpro
October 2nd, 2014, 12:14
Andy, when you don't see the FLOLS lights are any other effects missing? e.g. smoke from the funnel, noise from the Whirlwind?
It sounds like the effects aren't loading if you start too far away from the carrier, rather than being an issue with the RFN gauge. I think the CdG uses a self illuminating material rather than effect files for the FLOLS so it wouldn't suffer the same issue.

So I just got around to changing the AI route of my HMS Victorious to bring her very close to the shore near Lossiemouth, where I start my flight from. The ship is closer than 3km, according to the RFN Gauge. Now I can see the FLOLS lights just fine! This seems to confirm there is a limiting distance for the Effect to start from. Can this be increased Phil?? I ask because I'd like to create missions which require flying out to the ship from land bases far away, using AI ship routes rather than the AIcarriers program.

Many thanks

Andy

SkippyBing
October 3rd, 2014, 10:30
So I just got around to changing the AI route of my HMS Victorious to bring her very close to the shore near Lossiemouth, where I start my flight from. The ship is closer than 3km, according to the RFN Gauge. Now I can see the FLOLS lights just fine! This seems to confirm there is a limiting distance for the Effect to start from. Can this be increased Phil?? I ask because I'd like to create missions which require flying out to the ship from land bases far away, using AI ship routes rather than the AIcarriers program.

Many thanks

Andy

To be fair if I knew how to do that it wouldn't be a problem in the first place!

SkippyBing
October 4th, 2014, 04:54

This may help, available at http://z13.invisionfree.com/Flying_Stations/index.php?showtopic=426 the 1966 version doesn't use effects for the Deck Landing Projector Sight (DLPS) I tried self illuminating textures the same as Sylvain uses on the CdeG.

spatialpro
October 5th, 2014, 10:57
Hi Phil,

Yes, the the '66 version certainly does work just fine! :applause: I did an over-the-horizon flight using an AIBTC track and the FLOLS worked fine. I'll give the '64 version too.

This begs the question, can a mirror landing sight be made with emissive textures also?

Andy