PDA

View Full Version : Potential Flaws In Chase Format That Are Worrisome

Panther_99FS
September 22nd, 2014, 15:34
Good read here..
-> http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2203693-potential-flaws-in-the-2014-chase-for-sprint-cup-format-that-have-nascar-worried

EasyEd
September 22nd, 2014, 17:05
Hey All,

I think Kenny is right that one race should not decide it all - I like 3 or 4 as suggested by Kenny. Eliminating drivers along the way doesn't bother me too much as the chase has evolved to where even one bad race and you are done. Be interesting to see what happens at Dover. Of the guys I like I'm only concerned about Kasey right now. I did enjoy watchin all the Gibbs drivers have problems - thank god Gibbs best driver Joey Logano got outta there.

F1 - well the fix is in ya think?

-Ed-

Panther_99FS
September 22nd, 2014, 18:05
Hey All,

I think Kenny is right that one race should not decide it all
-Ed-

Yup.
You can win every single race in the chase, then have a transmission problem in the last race and lose the championship....:dizzy:

stansdds
September 23rd, 2014, 01:59
As I see it, this new format does not reward consistency. Win only one race, maybe it's a win because you were a 20th place car that just happened to be leading because all the front running cars were on pit road and a massive rain storm moves in and NASCAR ends the race... you win, you're in. That's Las Vegas luck is all that is. Now we are in the chase. Have a severe mechanical problem, maybe get taken out via a wreck involving others around you, not of your fault, but now you are out of the race and, as we saw with Denny Hamlin, you fall from 4th in the points chase to facing elimination next week. This new Chase format has brought interest, but I'm not seeing as how it rewards consistency, but is more of allowing the long shot odds to win.

Terry
September 23rd, 2014, 02:34
Before the chase it was all about consistency and it was certain that the best team won the championship. The chase is all about money and ratings, they are pandering to people who are not real race fans but just want excitement. If they keep degrading the racing format it will eventually come down to what is essentially a coin toss.

stansdds
September 24th, 2014, 13:34
Well said, Terry. Very well said.

Panther_99FS
September 24th, 2014, 16:09
Did all the start n' parks show up when the "Chase" format was created?

EasyEd
September 24th, 2014, 18:20
Hey All,

Thank God NASCAR got rid of the year-long points system that let a driver coast to the end of the year. That was bad.

The pure and simple fact is I don't believe there are enough true race fans to support NASCAR to the end of the season and maintain full profitability for the France family and the teams and the tracks under a year long points system. Profit always takes a back seat to the intent and integrity of a sport - always! Besides doesnt the france family have the right to as much profit as Bill Gates ever got? They think they do so what ever it takes. The other way to look at it and maybe it is right the France family is looking for a way to support themselves owners and track owners well enough to justify giving fans racing for 36 weeks.That means competing with NCAAF and NFL and NHL and more? and so they are looking for ways to increase interest and viewership to compete - a championship battle at the end is what every other sport does so I am not surprised. I have no problem with killing tradition for the betterment of the sport - times change people change and sports need to keep up. There is no justification for sayin it was better back when... because back when didn't have to compete against everything else happening today.

-Ed-