PDA

View Full Version : What game video capture program do you use?

Navy Chief
October 6th, 2008, 05:22
I bought the registered version of FRAPS years ago. It is resource intensive, in my opinion. Last night, I tried to make a quick video, using the "full screen"mode. Not happening. Constant flickering. When I reverted to "windowed mode", the flickering stopped. Not what I want.

I don't think it is my video card display settings, or RAM. Have got 3 gb of RAM, and things have been fine.

I am looking at other similar programs available, and there are many. Had no idea there were so many options:

Hypercam
GrowlerGun Cam
CamStudio

Here is a list of many:

http://www.softplatz.com/software/game-video-recording/

NC

CodyValkyrie
October 6th, 2008, 05:34
I personally use FRAPS. Your results with some of the other programs may vary but FRAPS remains one of the easiest to use. I actually film all videos in Windowed Mode. Just make sure if you do, you make the window full screen. It works good for task switching and doesn't drop resolution or FPS.

EgoR64
October 6th, 2008, 05:53
:wavey:

Fraps is good, I use it as well !!

Hi cody,

What do you use to edit, I have Nero and sucks - LOL !!

Thx Cheers !!

Lionheart
October 6th, 2008, 08:38
Screenshot Manager by FS-Berlin.

Awesome little system. Use PrintScreen button, set for either BMP or JPG, point to a folder, done.... As quick as you can click that PrintScreen button, that is how fast you can fill your folder.

Freeware.

Bill

Dangerousdave26
October 6th, 2008, 08:44
I have used Fraps and find it fine no problems. I tried Gamecam 2.0 when it came out and it killed the frame rates down to 2 when recording.

Fraps may create incredibly large files but works smooth on my system. What version are you using?

Edit: Now that was stupid you are using it with FSX now I can see why it may be affecting you this way. Version may have nothing to do with it.

Pultacatt
October 6th, 2008, 08:51
Fraps here with FSX and minimal FP loss during recording.

PC Specs: Standard HP M8400f, 3gig RAM, crappy GF8500 256mb its drivers hate Vista.

Navy Chief
October 6th, 2008, 15:19
Well, after much consideration, I bought Growler Gun Cam:

http://www.growlersoftware.com/

$19.95.

As I said in my initial post, I do own a registered copy of Fraps, but I am not happy with it. As soon as I start a new video in FSX or FS9, I immediately see a FPS hit.

I have only used Growler Gun Cam a couple times, but this does NOT happen with tihis program. From what I have seen so far, it has FRAPS beat all to heck.

NC

Lionheart
October 6th, 2008, 18:23
arrghh...

I thought we were talking screenshot captures.. not video.

I have Fraps, but its frame rates really hit FSX hard.. to a point that its not really useable.

I havent heard of Growler Gun Cam. I might have to look into this if its FR friendly.

Sorry about the goofy advice. :redf:

Bill

PRB
October 6th, 2008, 18:26
I bought FRAPS, and I liked it, except for the gigantic files it produced. But on my "new" (relatively) Windows XP (x64) setup, the darn program won't even install.

Pultacatt
October 6th, 2008, 21:26
Geez, I don't get it. I use Fraps on a crappy stock HP (as mentioned above) and get what I feel to be tremendous results, but then I guess I am just happy to be able to produce an amateur video that "I made" :d

Edit: I think I may have to eat some humble pie here and rescind some of my pro Fraps comments.

Don't get me wrong I am still very happy with Fraps and still pleased with the results I get, however, reading these posts made me go back and review some of my productions.

Ingame my flights are generally very slick, I normally only ever fly multiplayer and as such there is always some very minor stuttering etc but thats to be expected when one has between 3 to 8 aircraft operating from one location, throw into the equation that my PC is not designed for FSX let alone multiplayer nor video capture / editing. I am left with nagging doubts in regards to Fraps perfomance despite the lack of great counter FPS hit when running it, there is some but it's always only a couple of FPS which for me is or was passable. I think, after re-watching with a hyper critical eye, that there maybe some induced frame hit affecting my completed movie afterall and I am now thinking to try out Growler Gun Cam.

Whilst my Vids are extremely amateur compared to the likes of Jaggy Roads (great work guys, always awed!) and I will never profess to be an expert editor I am proud that I can film, edit and produce movies and any "leg up" certainly cant hurt.

Thank you NavyChief for bringing Gun Cam to my awareness.

grover
October 7th, 2008, 01:46
I use fraps and at the moment Im recording full screen 30fps at 1280x1600 and I only get a little bit of chop while in clouds, but theres some tips ive learn along the way.
If you record fraps in half screen mode its doing twice the work, once to capture then screen and again to shrink it.
I have FS on a different harddrive than what I record fraps on. Makes a huge difference if you can stretch to a 2nd harddrive. Fraps does create very big files so theres a lot of writing to harddrives. If that drive doesnt have to read FS files as well, it makes a difference.
Ive tried a few other programmes and many do great jobs. Most record much smaller files than fraps but for me, that limits the final output. The better the quality you have when you go to edit, the more options you give yourself. But you have to balance high quality with smooth frames and that can take some playing to figure out.

Pultacatt
October 7th, 2008, 02:02
Thanks Grover, the 2nd hard-drive tip makes a lot of sense. I have always recorded at full screen, 60FPS, should I lower the Frames?

grover
October 7th, 2008, 22:44
yeah, 30 is all you need. Video / film is recorded at 24ish.

Francois
October 7th, 2008, 23:35
I use FS Recorder... seems easier on frames than FRAPS :wavey:

http://www.fs-recorder.net/

Wing_Z
October 7th, 2008, 23:39
...If you record fraps in half screen mode its doing twice the work, once to capture then screen and again to shrink it...
Oh wow, I've been faihfully recording half-screen in an effort to keep the overhead down...
thought it would be processing only 1/4 the pixels!
I've just been notified FRAPS 2.9.6 has been released, maybe some issues addressed in there.

Wing_Z
October 7th, 2008, 23:40
I use FS Recorder... seems easier on frames than FRAPS :wavey:
http://www.fs-recorder.net/
Recorder doesn't create video as far as I remember - it records only for playback in FS

CBris
October 7th, 2008, 23:43
I use Snagit - pretty good.

Pultacatt
October 8th, 2008, 01:12
yeah, 30 is all you need. Video / film is recorded at 24ish.

Brilliant, thanks Grover.

Dangerousdave26
October 8th, 2008, 12:31
Well, after much consideration, I bought Growler Gun Cam:

http://www.growlersoftware.com/

$19.95.

As I said in my initial post, I do own a registered copy of Fraps, but I am not happy with it. As soon as I start a new video in FSX or FS9, I immediately see a FPS hit.

I have only used Growler Gun Cam a couple times, but this does NOT happen with tihis program. From what I have seen so far, it has FRAPS beat all to heck.

NC

Navychief

What format does that program output the video as?

Is it like fraps and raw video or is it compressed?

Navy Chief
October 8th, 2008, 12:53
DangerousDave,

Does this provide an answer? AVI or animated GIF

http://www.growlersoftware.com/helpv2/ExportSetup.html

also, built into the program is a Movie Editor! Yes, there are many movie editor programs out there, but it is so convenient to have it right there to use.

http://www.growlersoftware.com/helpv2/MovieEditor.html

NC

CodyValkyrie
October 8th, 2008, 13:14
I'm curious what the down compression is. What kind of files sizes are you seeing?

Navy Chief
October 8th, 2008, 14:16
Cody,

I'll have to get back to you. I am struggling with ATTEMPTING to learn how to create AI flight plans. Even though I have read and reread the instructions that many people have so patiently created for idiots like me, I STILL cannot figure this out. I have been playing with flight simulation for years now, and this remains elusive for me.....:banghead::banghead::banghead:

NC