PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Card Upgrade ?

Aircanuck
September 15th, 2014, 08:47
Morning all,

Running Windows 7 Home Edition 64 Bit System
2.93 GHZ 4.0 GB Ram
Geforce GTX 550 Ti card

Recently changed over from XP , thinking of tweaking the graphics card. Based on the specs noted, is there another Geforce card out that will give me an extra kick without a lot of effort ?

Cheers for now

Peg o my heart
September 15th, 2014, 09:13
GTX 560 Ti 1GB 256bit,

Would you ever consider to get a new CPU instead, a higher clock speed gives noticeable boost in performance. Although you current 512 mb GPU may cause bottleneck

falcon409
September 15th, 2014, 09:28
Morning all,

2.93 GHZ 4.0 GB Ram
Geforce GTX 550 Ti card

Recently changed over from XP , thinking of tweaking the graphics card. Based on the specs noted, is there another Geforce card out that will give me an extra kick without a lot of effort ?
Cheers for now
Also might consider what your future planes might be for moving beyond FSX to P3D. Currently I agree with POMH, your CPU could do with a major upgrade and even the 512 card lacks somewhat for FSX. Going to P3D will require much more heft in a GPU. . .one that would carry at least 2gig, 3gig would be better as P3D hands the texture loading and controls over to the GPU and frees the CPU for other processes. Just food for thought.

Aircanuck
September 15th, 2014, 10:19
GTX 560 Ti 1GB 256bit,

Would you ever consider to get a new CPU instead, a higher clock speed gives noticeable boost in performance. Although you current 512 mb GPU may cause bottleneck

Falcon409, ok with FSX ....

This is all "greek" to me but the CPU is also the "mother board" ? Presently running the ASUS P7H55-M LX 2 x DIMM Dual Channel Max 8 GB DDR3 / 1066 MHZ Chip set H55 Express ... the Geforce card is 1GB GDDR5

The idea of taking the CPU to the next level is ok with me, can you recommend a stronger ASUS product without having to be concerned with heating or insufficient power problems ? ( hope that makes sense ! )

Cheers

falcon409
September 15th, 2014, 10:26
This is all "greek" to me but the CPU is also the "mother board"?
Cheers
The Mother Board or mobo" as some seem to like to refer to it is the main "circuit Board" you see everything plugged into when you open your computer. The CPU is a square chip locked usually in the center of the mother board and has a large "heat sink" and fan mounted on top. Very obvious when you see it. Without it you have nothing.

Dumonceau
September 15th, 2014, 10:54
Morning all,

2.93 GHZ 4.0 GB Ram
Geforce GTX 550 Ti card

Cheers for now

Hi Cannuck,

I'm afraid that with your current setup, there isn't a lot of tweaking left to be done.

You could change over to a bigger GFX card, but with your current motherboard and processor, you will not see a lot of gain. Especially if you would go over to P3D v2.3 which puts a lot of strain on the graphics cards. Moreover, your processor speed is about 1 Ghz short of reaching FSX threshold speed.

IMHO if you want a rig that runs FSX or P3D decently you need:

- a processor at 4.0+ Ghz
- +8 Gb of the fastest ram you can get
- a graphics card with at least 2Gb of ram, preferably more (GTX770 is the one)

I'm afraid you're looking at a new build my friend.

Dumonceau

Butcherbird17
September 15th, 2014, 11:20
Have you tried overclocking? Is the cpu a dual core or quad core? I see that the mobo supports either a I7, I5 or I3
cpu. For more info on what you have inside go and download cpu-z.
get it here: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
This will tell you everything about all your hardware in your rig.
Your rig should handle just about anything fsx has to offer. My rig (specs below) can do it and its getting really
old by today's standards.

Joe

Aircanuck
September 15th, 2014, 14:26
Lots to think about ...... thank you for your thoughts and ideas.

Cheers for now.