PDA

View Full Version : Field Carrier Landing Practice on Demand

sparouty
January 24th, 2009, 13:28
Hi!
Using the acceleration features, I made this Landing Optical System (FLOLS) used for Field Carrier Landing Practise.
I wanted some FLOLS to fly Dino's Goshawk in Meridian NAS (thanks to Jim Dhaenens :applause:).
I'm using a "walkaround" to have the accleration FLOLS working : it's declared as a boat in SimObject folder and AICarrier configuration file. There's a little "side-effect", at night the flight deck lights are showing on you runway signals...

I didn't succeed in using an AI traffic file and I don't know if there's another solution (more "permanent").

I still have to calibrate the system, and it will be soon available...

Regards,
Sylvain

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/picture.php?albumid=131&pictureid=1157

GT182
January 24th, 2009, 13:36
That is sweet Sylvain. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/GT182/sigpic336_1.gif Looks great, can't wait to try it out. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/GT182/Thumbup.gif

Will you have one for carriers too, and keep the one for land traps for us to practice with?

SkippyBing
January 24th, 2009, 13:40
Cool, have you got the arrestor cables working as well?

VCN-1
January 24th, 2009, 13:55
That is excellent!

VCN-1

PutPut
January 24th, 2009, 14:12
Looking forward to this!!:ernae:

Paul

orionll
January 24th, 2009, 14:19
Looks great!

If you want, I could help with the AI traffic plans too ;).

jdhaenens
January 24th, 2009, 17:09
WOW! cool. when can I have a copy to put ...everywhere?

Thanks!

Jim

MCDesigns
January 24th, 2009, 17:19
Very cool!! :ernae:

Boomer
January 24th, 2009, 17:23
:applause::applause::applause: Good stuff!

Add some wires & I would be in hog heaven at Pensacola!

Navy Chief
January 24th, 2009, 17:49
Sparouty,

This is EXACTLY what I have wanted for so long! I posted not long ago, asking for instructions on how to add arresting cables to Jim's P'Cola scenery; but I never imagined being able to do FCLS on demand!!

Way to go shipmate! This is fantastic news!!!:ernae:

:faint:

Navy Chief

Shylock
January 25th, 2009, 00:04
Wow this is very awesome. To go along with us, we here at FSX Blue Angels are coming out with a 18 minute in depth movie tutoral on how to land a fighter jet on a aircraft carrier.

sparouty
January 25th, 2009, 02:24
Hi everybody and thank you!

I didn't try to add wires too. I thought that runways didn't have working arresting gears, but I can make a version with wires :icon_lol:

Actually, the only way I find to add the FLOLS trailer into the scenery is using AI Carrier:
You start a flight, put/place your airplane at the "touch area" and insert the FLOLS trailer with AICarrier.

Using 3wireX (from Flight Deck 5 package) give you the possibilty to add it automatically, but it's not a freeware...

I think that tonight (Paris time :d) you'll be abble to test what I'm trying to explain with my bad english :redface:...

Regards,
Sylvain

Navy Chief
January 25th, 2009, 05:46
Hi everybody and thank you!

I didn't try to add wires too. I thought that runways didn't have working arresting gears, but I can make a version with wires :icon_lol:

Actually, the only way I find to add the FLOLS trailer into the scenery is using AI Carrier:
You start a flight, put/place your airplane at the "touch area" and insert the FLOLS trailer with AICarrier.

Using 3wireX (from Flight Deck 5 package) give you the possibilty to add it automatically, but it's not a freeware...

I think that tonight (Paris time :d) you'll be abble to test what I'm trying to explain with my bad english :redface:...

Regards,
Sylvain

GREAT news! And if you are able to add cables, that would be even better! But if not, that is still so very cool!

NC

navychief8
January 25th, 2009, 06:35
Sparouty

Are you working on any other ships like the Clemenceau? Maybe something like a Vietnam era Essex class!!!!

sparouty
January 25th, 2009, 08:02
Hello!
I've just finished to make a version with functional arresting gear ..

It took times for me to find that without a hard surface included in the model, the cables can't work??
Another issue I fixed was linked to the reference point. It seem that relative positions of attached points and the reference point are important: if the reference point is in the arresting gear area, no trap, if it is 130m ahead, it trap...:confused:

Now my trailer needs to be tested (FLOLS calibration), if anyone wants to help me, I'll send him my model with pleasure. Please contact me by PM
Regards,
Sylvain

PS : I'm finishing an "enhanced" version of Clemenceau, and I'll work on a US navy Carrier. Phantom and Skyhawk "served" on it, but not an Essex class, it's the CVN Enterprise... Sorry...

fliger747
January 25th, 2009, 08:02
This looks like a usefull addon if it can be placed anywhere!

Cheers: T.

Odie
January 25th, 2009, 09:09
Outstanding work, sir ! :woot:

Looking forward to giving the VRS F/A-18E (FSX when released) and the IRIS F-14A/B some work-ups on this....:ernae:

srgalahad
January 25th, 2009, 10:27
Hmmm.. shuttling between NAS Whidbey and Ault Field - Coupleville NOLF in the Intruder should be a nice way to spend a day.. or ten ... with a beer stop in Oak Harbour after the flying is done.

Navy Chief
January 25th, 2009, 11:33
Hmmm.. shuttling between NAS Whidbey and Ault Field - Coupleville NOLF in the Intruder should be a nice way to spend a day.. or ten ... with a beer stop in Oak Harbour after the flying is done.

I completely agree with you about that being a nice way to spend the day! I spent a lot of time at the CPO club there............years ago, before I quit drinking. But definitely some good times there.

NC

PRB
January 25th, 2009, 12:21
This will be a fun addition to FS, Sylvain, thank you!

All we need now is to figure out how to texture a runway so we have a carrier landing area painted on (see pic.) That would be cool!

Boomer
January 25th, 2009, 14:01
Great stuff Sparouty thanks! :applause::applause::applause::ernae:

PRB
January 25th, 2009, 14:11
Yeah, like that, Boomer! Where did you get that runway?? :d

Shylock
January 25th, 2009, 14:15
This will be a fun addition to FS, Sylvain, thank you!

All we need now is to figure out how to texture a runway so we have a carrier landing area painted on (see pic.) That would be cool!

This runway you have pictured is in the scenery for FSX_KNPA scenery addon. Just search for it on avsim or even pull it off of our site in the downloads section.

PRB
January 25th, 2009, 14:18
Thanks, Shylock!

jdhaenens
January 25th, 2009, 19:02
Paul, the carrier deck marks are already there at KNTU, Pensacola, and Meridian if you have those sceneries. There really aren't any landable marks on North Island, as they use El Centro or Catalina as I recall.

Sylvain, If you want the GMAX (or FSDS files...I have both) so you can put out an FCLP-in-a-can option, PM me your email.

Jim