PDA

View Full Version : GTN 750 is excellent (mini reivew)

ryanbatc
September 11th, 2014, 07:25
I recently purchased the P3D version of Flight1's new GTN 750 gauge (it's basically the same as the FSX version). At present this is a popup window in most VC's, because no one (except Milviz I believe) really has a nice 3d integration yet... I'm sure it will change. F1 included a simple config gauge which creates a 2d popup in any plane in your inventory. There are other options like auto tune course etc in the config program.

I'm still an RXP user in FSX but this new GTN gauge makes me consider the FSX version.... it's that good. The navdatabase is updatable with the proper file or files (pretty much like RXP 530/430W). The touchscreen format works very well with user mouse input. While at present there is no linkgps=on equivalent (linkgps=on allowed the data from RXP to display on third party gauges like the Carenado TBM etc), F1 is working on adding these variables so the gauge will be fully compatible with third party aircraft. I believe they are also working on a crossfill to share the flight plan between the 750 and 650. Realair are going to integrate these units into their products (in the form of a 3d gauge bezel like they did with RXP) as well as their upcoming Turbine Duke v2.

Anyway, the product does some really cool things that my old RXP unit never could. GTN can place airways into your flight plan, you just add the first fix on the airway, then click that fix, and a sub menu pops up where you can add the airway, then add the exit point. It shortens the amount of work, especially compared to the old RXP where you'd have to add the fixes along the airway if it bent. GTN also does a nice job of calculating Vertical Speed Required, a bit of a VNAV that RXP claimed to have, but I could never get it working. VSR readout can be configured to display on the main map navigation page, and or the unit will give you a flashing MSG when it's time to descend at your profile rate. You can also do track, heading, or north up in the map view. There's a few more features new and improved from the RXP but I haven't gone over the entire manual yet.

The price was a bit frustrating for me as it's $15 OVER the cost of the FSX version... seems the new trend is to sell two separate versions and jack the price up for P3D... argh. But since I couldn't have RXP in P3D this was worth it to me.

Anyway I recommend it for P3D and once more devs integrate it will be lovely in both sims. It's definitely better than the old 530/430W especially once F1 adds the variables to talk to third party addons.

Tim-HH
September 11th, 2014, 08:27
Thanks for the review, Ryan! I installed the Garmin GTN trainer a while ago and I'm quite impressed as well.

Realair are going to integrate these units into their products (in the form of a 3d gauge bezel like they did with RXP) as well as their upcoming Turbine Duke v2.

As soon as that happens I'll buy both units. Hopefully A2A will integrate them too :)

Greetings
Tim

JimmyRFR
September 11th, 2014, 08:44
Good summary.

I've been an avid user of them since shortly after they were released, and I install them as a popup into everything I fly that isn't military and doesn't have an FMC. They are really, really good, and the ease of use they introduce makes using the older 530/430 units seem awkward at best.

I haven't minded the lack of integration so far, as I use it in combination with a 23" touchscreen positioned either above or below my main display. Combined with a touchscreen, these units really come into their own and become absolutely sublime pieces of software. Very easy for me to call this my favorite addon of the year, if not the last few years.

I do however look forward to seeing more developers start to integrate this in the VC... By that point, I hope crossfill will be added, and I also look forward to the equivalent of RXP's linkgps feature.

ryanbatc
September 11th, 2014, 09:34
Thanks for your responses.... the touchscreen thing - that's a great idea. Can it be done for under 100 bucks? What software do you need to interface the touchscreen GTN with FSX or P3D? Or do you just drag and drop a GTN window to the touchscreen like another windows monitor? I've already got two monitors would it be an issue adding a touchscreen?

Yes I'll probably buy the 650 as well once more devs integrate and hopefully crossfill is added for free or a small fee.

JimmyRFR
September 11th, 2014, 10:25
Thanks for your responses.... the touchscreen thing - that's a great idea. Can it be done for under 100 bucks? What software do you need to interface the touchscreen GTN with FSX or P3D? Or do you just drag and drop a GTN window to the touchscreen like another windows monitor? I've already got two monitors would it be an issue adding a touchscreen?

Yes I'll probably buy the 650 as well once more devs integrate and hopefully crossfill is added for free or a small fee.

My 23" touchscreen behaves like any other 1920x1080 monitor, but it also has a usb connection to interface the touch stuff with. But other than the touchscreen functionality, windows treats it like any other monitor. I've used it in the past as my main FSX display as well, worked neat with planes with simple switches where you could touch them to flip the switch. But in my current setup, it's simply one of three monitors that my desktop is extended to. I run FSX fullscreen on one monitor, then drag any 2d panels i want to the touchscreen. My current simpit has the ability to position it below my main FSX monitor when using a stick, or above the main monitor when using a yoke.

Other than the GTN, some planes are more fun to use with the touchscreen. For example, the Superbug makes awesome use of the touchscreen when I position it below my main monitor, since I can drag a 2d version of the data entry screen to it, as well as 2d versions of the other gauge windows. When positioned above, it's easily big enough that I can drag the 2d overhead panel from some of the planes that have them to it, which is cool. Most recently, the Lear24 has some useful 2d panels as well, notably the a/p panel being quite useful on a touchscreen.

The only caveat is that complex switches that require either dragging or right clicking or mousewheel are still only usable with a mouse, since a press on the touchscreen equates to a single left click.

Also, the 23" I describe was around $300. Plus all the above / below positioning stuff I was talking about is enabled by $100 monitor arms. So a bit pricey.

henrystreet
September 11th, 2014, 10:44
.... the touchscreen thing - that's a great idea.

Jim, +1 great idea.