PDA

View Full Version : Need some repaint help...

Duckie
August 25th, 2014, 13:57
OK, so I jumped into the FSX repaint world and have quickly discovered how lacking I am!

Can someone point me to a good FSX repainting tutorial at the moderate to advance level that addresses bump maps and alpha channel application, et al?

Also have a question re bump maps. Can a bump map be modified without altering the model file or any other such wizardry?
My point here is there are some FSX native models with bump maps that make the panel lines look 4 inches wide and 6 inches deep. In other words, they look like one of those metal match box models! I would like to modify this and make these features look more to scale (model and mfg shall remain nameless), great looking models with great detail except for the issues above, which I can't seem to get a handle on.

I've been experimenting and have come real close but I still end up with some weird issues, like pieces of new panel lines and rivets showing up in odd places on the model. Haven't quite figured out the alpha channel either.

As always, thanks for taking the time to read this and any and all help is appreciated.

Steve

falcon409
August 25th, 2014, 14:14
Duckie, the only part I can answer definitively is about the bump map. . .yes it can be changed without messing with the mdl file. . .but the wizardry as you so aptly referred to it is why I never got into doing FSX repaints. After I got the explanation I had to download two more utilities and had a step by step "how to" that filled a full page, lol. It was not something I cared to pursue, lol.

Duckie
August 25th, 2014, 14:35
Hey falcon409, thanks for the quick come back. What I've been able to find on my own kinda bears out your impression. At this point I'm still interested but I won't put any money on me joining you in your retirement from the craft if I can't some how get the hang of it.

Thanks,
Steve

Matt Wynn
August 25th, 2014, 15:03
Duckie if you give me a shout i'd be more than happy to fire up my livestream to give you a runthrough of the in's and outs, likewise with you too Ed! :encouragement:

Milton Shupe
August 25th, 2014, 15:32
Duckie if you give me a shout i'd be more than happy to fire up my livestream to give you a runthrough of the in's and outs, likewise with you too Ed! :encouragement:

Livestream? How would one connect with you? Just curious

Bjoern
August 25th, 2014, 16:12
Making bump maps - basics:
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Normal_map_creation

Short instructions for producing working bump maps at the bottom of the first post:
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/beware-the-bump-maps.56595/

Also, what tool are you using? GIMP?

Matt Wynn
August 25th, 2014, 16:39
Livestream? How would one connect with you? Just curious

I use a combination of software.... Open Broadcaster Software, which streams to twitch TV, using OBS i can talk through 'live' allbeit due to inherent upload/download rates, usually about half a minute.... it's the same method i use to teach several 'apprentices' to FS Repainting/Texture art etc... also allows me to record instead of streaming so I can upload to Youtube in 'bitesized' chunks..... will drop you a link Milton next time i'm working on something, always glad to give back to the community that got me to where i am today, sure i might not do as much for FS9 or X as i used to but i'm always willing and glad to share the knowledge....

but it is fairly simple to do the maps.... as Bjoern asks, what program/tool are you using for the creation? Photoshop, Paintshop Pro, GIMP, Paint.net.....

Duckie
August 25th, 2014, 16:45
Bjoern, Matt, my main tool is Paint Shop Pro 9.1

I have Gimp but don't have the hang of using it.

Matt Wynn
August 25th, 2014, 17:01
I have some knowledge of GIMP, not as much as photoshop but i know its flow....

might be 2am here but i don't mind running up a stream to show you how it is done :encouragement:

or at any time, just give me a shout and i'll be more than happy to give you a run through

Duckie
August 25th, 2014, 17:13
Hey Matt, it's 9:00 pm here and about to have a late dinner. I can be available at a more humane hour for you, I'm retired! Just let me know a good day/time for for you and I'll be there.

Oh, and how to hook up!

Thanks,
Steve

Matt Wynn
August 25th, 2014, 17:17
just shoot me a message and i'll be more than happy to pass details and such across to you.... more than happy to assist, only work i have at the moment is for DCS so time-wise i'm pretty good any time....

i might try and make it fairly regular, maybe 10/11pm UK time most evenings for a couple of hours, should be able to rattle through a fair bit.....

Duckie
August 26th, 2014, 10:32
Hey, Matt, I think I'm on to something! Found a good (old, but good) Gimp tutorial re FSX bump maps and it worked! I was able to create new bump maps for the model in question by using Gimp's bump map plugins and the tutorial. It is fairly straight forward, just have to make certain to follow the directions exactly the same way every time. Now just have to fine tune the maps to get the outcome looking the way I want.

Thanks very much, Amigo, for your offer of assistance and your willingness to help a painter(s) in distress!

Cheers, Steve

PutPut
August 26th, 2014, 13:13
I would love to see that tutorial. I am getting the hang of Gimp and have links to the plugins. Do you have a link to said tutorial?

Best, Paul :wavey:

Duckie
August 26th, 2014, 15:14
Hey Paul, I'm not at my PC, but Google "Dave Nunez gimp bump map" and you should get the link. Be warned that the links for plugins and other stuff are dead (it's an old post), so you'll need to get whatever plugins you may not have from the Gimp site.

Let me know if I can answer any questions after you take a look at the tutorial.

Good luck,
Steve

PutPut
August 26th, 2014, 15:35
Thanks, Steve, Turns out I have Dave's tutorial. I just forgot about it and never tried it. I got the plugins from the Gimp website. I have an ongoing project where I will be wanting to try "bumps" in a few weeks.

Best, Paul