PDA

View Full Version : Good Bye XP !

Aircanuck
August 25th, 2014, 10:41
Morning all,

Time to move on , have been running Windows XP Media Edition forever and want to hear from you all about what platform to consider as my next move ....... Windows 7 ??

Running a GeForce GTX 550 1GB GDDR5.

Look forward to your thoughts and ideas.

Naruto-kun
August 25th, 2014, 11:08
Well considering that P3D wont work on XP, neither will the newer graphics libraries like Direct2D and Direct3D11 be available on XP, and that Win8 is a mess, I would say Win7 Ultimate 64bit is the best option.

wombat666
August 25th, 2014, 11:14
Well considering that P3D wont work on XP, neither will the newer graphics libraries like Direct2D and Direct3D11 be available on XP, and that Win8 is a mess, I would say Win7 Ultimate 64bit is the best option.

+1:encouragement:

Moses03
August 25th, 2014, 12:21
Went from XP to a new 8.1 build back in April. Runs FSX smooth as silk with all sliders maxed. Don't have to worry about my operating system until Jan 2023.

Odie
August 25th, 2014, 12:54
Running Win 7 with no issues on my primary gaming machine. Running Vista on the internet/media box. Both 64-bit.

hairyspin
August 25th, 2014, 14:32
I'd go for Win 7 64-bit, but from experience would question the need for Ultimate unless you know why you need it.

Naismith
August 25th, 2014, 14:58
Yes Win7 64 has to be the way to go. I have had and suffered through every edition of Windows since v3.11 (circa 1993/4) and can say it is the most stable version I have ever used (not tried 8 - it's just so ugly :adoration:).

UnknownGuest12
August 25th, 2014, 17:11
No doubts, W7 64...the best here...

trucker17
August 25th, 2014, 18:24
I am running windows7 with no issues.

orionll
August 25th, 2014, 18:32
Windows 8.1 (64 bit) works fine here.

BrittMac
August 25th, 2014, 20:09
Win7 64. I run Pro (though I don't use all the features I suppose).

I friggin hate Win8. If I wanted a tablet OS, I would get a tablet OS. Drives me nuts.

I have put off buying a new laptop because everything is Win8.

txnetcop
August 25th, 2014, 20:53

YEP!!! That's the one!
Ted

StormILM
August 25th, 2014, 21:08
I was a diehard XP user for a long time but last year my old but long super reliable XP system died. So many folks here influenced my decision to go to Win 7/64 when I bought my new system last year and it was a good move for me, almost like a logical progression of XP. I have Vista on my now semi-retired laptop and I've never been a fan of that OS and likewise, I was very nervous about going to Win 8 after hearing what some folks had to deal with in using FSX on Win 8 OS. The only regret I have is not spending more and getting an Nvidia card but I have had good performance & reliability from my Ati HD7770. I will probably move to Nvidia before too much longer.

Hughes-MDflyer4
August 25th, 2014, 21:51
I'd go with 8. If you're finally upgrading after all of these years, don't continue the tradition and intentionally get an older operating system. :P Just as any previous Windows, 8 is perfectly fine for desktop use. Most people that say otherwise haven't actually used it. I also saw a noticeable performance improvement in FSX going from 7 to 8.

Naismith
August 25th, 2014, 23:12
I'd go with 8. If you're finally upgrading after all of these years, don't continue the tradition and intentionally get an older operating system. :P Just as any previous Windows, 8 is perfectly fine for desktop use. Most people that say otherwise haven't actually used it. I also saw a noticeable performance improvement in FSX going from 7 to 8.
You are probably right, it's just so durn ugly. :untroubled:

Dev One
August 25th, 2014, 23:28
My son just upgraded me to Win 8.1 64 bit, from Win 7 32 bit on an old gaming computer of his (2008 vintage 6 core AMD, 8MB RAM, AMD 5700 GPU). If you dont like the front page of Win 8.1 & its touchy feely big icons, just hit the Documents button & its presented to you just like XP, or Win7.
I find Win 8.1 loads a lot quicker than Win 7.
HTH
Keith

orionll
August 26th, 2014, 10:55
Yep, not only what Brandon said about it working just fine, and Dev One said about it booting faster (much, much faster, in my experience), but the desktop itself is actually improved. There are a lot of small tweaks that make things a lot better: things like the improved file copy dialog, support for JPEG EXIF rotation, improved multi-monitor support (spanning a panoramic background, for example), and that's just off the top of my mind. General performance seems a lot snappier, and everything I've tried runs just as well, if not better than on Windows 7. Not only that, but if you really dislike the new Start screen, you can enable booting directly to the desktop (in fact, this option is set by default in Windows 8.1) and set the Start screen background to that of your desktop background to make things less jarring.

Montie
August 26th, 2014, 11:35
I am using Windows 7 x64 and no problems here. Windows 8 makes my head hurt though...its not very intuitive for me.

Aircanuck
August 31st, 2014, 12:34
Thank you all for your comments , have Windows 7 loaded .... so far so good !

Quick question - Want to tweak the "WideViewAspect but unable to find the Air Config folder ??

Somebody able to give me a hint where to look ? :)

hschuit
August 31st, 2014, 12:40
Thank you all for your comments , have Windows 7 loaded .... so far so good ! Quick question - Want to tweak the "WideViewAspect but unable to find the Air Config folder ?? Somebody able to give me a hint where to look ?

Default locations for:

FSX.cfg = C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS X\
Scenery.cfg = C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\

Jafo
August 31st, 2014, 14:10
Win8 is a horse designed by a committee....aka...a camel.

It has a lower overhead thanks to the stripping out of some of the aesthetics of 7 [amongst other things] so it'll run faster on older software...
The speed of booting is FAKED. The desktop simply loads earlier in the boot process to give the impression.

If you can't stand the GUI [even with 8.1]....not many can....hence heads rolling at MS, go look at Stardock's Start8 and Modernmix ....and you'll have rid of the clunkiness of the jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none interface.
SD has been improving the Windows GUI for decades....and invariably gets it right.

Stability? ....for most humans it'll be fine....for me...I can break anything....and often do...on ANY OS....but my personal fave is still 7 [Ult] ....and I've used them all...;)

Aircanuck
September 1st, 2014, 07:40
Not finding it ??

Two concerns, cannot find the "Microsoft Fsx folder" with all its sub folders in it .... simobjects - weather - lessons etc

or the Fsx Config folder to change the "wideview aspect = true to false

Could they be hidden ?

Dumonceau
September 1st, 2014, 08:13
Not finding it ??

Two concerns, cannot find the "Microsoft Fsx folder" with all its sub folders in it .... simobjects - weather - lessons etc

or the Fsx Config folder to change the "wideview aspect = true to false

Could they be hidden ?

Usually they are hidden. Open "computer", click on the "organize" button and select "folder and search options". Go to the view tab and select "show hidden files and folders".

Dumonceau

Lane Street
September 1st, 2014, 08:25
cannot find the "Microsoft Fsx folder" with all its sub folders in it .... simobjects - weather - lessons etc

Do a Windows Explorer search for- FSX.exe

cheers,
Lane

Aircanuck
September 1st, 2014, 08:41
Usually they are hidden. Open "computer", click on the "organize" button and select "folder and search options". Go to the view tab and select "show hidden files and folders".

Dumonceau

Cheers .... now how bout a hint on where the Microsoft fsx root folder went ?? The folder I used go to in Media XP to add a new texture to an existing aircraft .I used to go in via the programs tab but not having much luck with Windows 7 !

Thank you again , much appreciated.

Dumonceau
September 1st, 2014, 09:02
Cheers .... now how bout a hint on where the Microsoft fsx root folder went ?? The folder I used go to in Media XP to add a new texture to an existing aircraft .I used to go in via the programs tab but not having much luck with Windows 7 !

Thank you again , much appreciated.

That would be here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games

But that is not where you will find the FSX.cfg file, that one is loaded here: C:\Users\your user name on the computer\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Dumonceau

Aircanuck
September 1st, 2014, 09:19
That would be here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games

But that is not where you will find the FSX.cfg file, that one is loaded here: C:\Users\your user name on the computer\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Dumonceau

Excellent , back to normal ......

Thanks again

hairyspin
September 1st, 2014, 11:55
...But that is not where you will find the FSX.cfg file, that one is loaded here: C:\Users\your user name on the computer\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX...

In all versions of Windows, typing

%appdata%\Microsoft\FSX

in an address bar will take you there.