PDA

View Full Version : A question about BMP and DDS files.

Navy Chief
August 25th, 2014, 09:24
I am in the process of reinstalling a lot of aircraft into FSX. I noticed during the "unpacking" of the files that some packages have BMP and DDS files.

Should I convert all of the BMP files to DDS? Or does it matter?

Thanks. NC

fsafranek
August 25th, 2014, 09:33
Having both BMP and DDS files of the same name in the same folder results in that area being black on the aircraft. If they all have different names then it is probably just a matter of the BMP's having their origin in FS9 and haven't been converted to DDS for FSX yet.

Having them all be DDS will improve performance some.
:ernaehrung004:

Navy Chief
August 25th, 2014, 09:47
Having both BMP and DDS files of the same name in the same folder results in that area being black on the aircraft. If they all have different names then it is probably just a matter of the BMP's having their origin in FS9 and haven't been converted to DDS for FSX yet.

Having them all be DDS will improve performance some.
:ernaehrung004:

Thanks! NC

WarHorse47
August 25th, 2014, 09:49
I have several addon repaints where there is a mix of file types, dds and bmp.

As long as there are not duplicates as mentioned (e.g., not two files of the same name but different type) you should be okay.

One thing I always look at when adding skins is to examine the texture folder content including a count of the number of files, examining for a thumbnail file and a texture.cfg file. By comparing it to the content of an original texture folder (that came with the aircraft), it will give you an idea of any liberties taken by the painter.

falcon409
August 25th, 2014, 09:59
I am in the process of reinstalling a lot of aircraft into FSX. I noticed during the "unpacking" of the files that some packages have BMP and DDS files.
Should I convert all of the BMP files to DDS? Or does it matter?
Thanks. NC
NC, here is a simple batch file to convert bitmaps to dds. Just drop both files into your texture folder, double click the batch file and let it do it's work. I would make a file that says "Bitmaps" inside the texture folder if you want to keep them for any reason, otherwise dump em. After the conversion I always selected "View", "By Type" which stacked all the bitmaps together, then just hilight all of them and either hit the delete key or drag em up to your bitmap folder, takes less than a minute.

Dev One
August 25th, 2014, 10:13
Take care....I prepare some of my bitmaps converting them through DXTBmp software.
For FS9 I make them .bmp but in DXT5 format with alpha, for FSX I am finding on my latest creations that making them in 32 bit 888 gives them a .bmp file name - they are less compressed than a standard windows .bmp but they do give a sharper image I think. I have not used .dds, so I must sometime try the difference. I don't normally create FSX native, so I dont have the bump maps etc.
HTH
Keith

ColinT46
August 25th, 2014, 11:37
Be aware also that DDS files display differently from Bitmaps.
Your conversion tool should be able to flip them vertically as DDS files are used upside down.
Not all conversion tools do this automatically. I use DxtBmp which doesn't do this.

falcon409
August 25th, 2014, 11:59
Be aware also that DDS files display differently from Bitmaps.
Your conversion tool should be able to flip them vertically as DDS files are used upside down.
Not all conversion tools do this automatically. I use DxtBmp which doesn't do this.
yes, the one I posted does everything.

ncooper
August 25th, 2014, 12:37
Having both BMP and DDS files of the same name in the same folder results in that area being black on the aircraft.

I see your signature but for me, having two files with the same name in a repaint folder has no effect
other than if there is a .bmp present, the .dds will not be read.

I have wasted quite a lot of time repainting textures only to find that they did not change on the aircraft
because I had saved them in .dds format without first deleting or renaming the original .bmp.

Regards,
Nick.

Roger
August 25th, 2014, 13:17
As I understand it, the .mdl will have been created to call for either, .dds or .bmp textures. To change them may result in a delay finding the required texture file.

falcon409
August 25th, 2014, 14:08
I'm not saying this to offend anyone. . .I'm hardly a repaint guru having stopped when bumps and spec's and all the new techniques took over. It seems common sense should dictate that it's not a "little of both", but rather "all of one or the other". If you do a repaint for an addon and make it a dds when the original is a bitmap and still in the folder, then it's going to continue to read the bitmap. If you're going to save updated files to the dds format, then convert all of your bitmaps to dds. . .very simple. The batch file I posted above will do that instantly and pain free. Once done, delete the bitmaps and go about your business. It's not that hard to understand folks.

Naismith
August 25th, 2014, 15:02
Yes those are excellent and quick and pain free files, thank you Falcon! :encouragement:

Lane Street
August 25th, 2014, 16:00
As I understand it, the .mdl will have been created to call for either, .dds or .bmp textures. To change them may result in a delay finding the required texture file.

FSX knows to use .dds files if it can't find .bmp files.

The only time you might have problems, and even then I think it will work, is if the model calls for .DDS and you have .bmp files. I am sure I have used FS9 repaints on FSX native models without converting them to .DDS.

As for Falcon's batch file, I think it important to note that you may get some unexpected results.

As an example, if you use it on textures that have mipmaps they will be removed by running the batch file.

Also, if you have 32 bit textures they will be compressed and you may lose some quality.

If your .bmps are DXT1 and you process them with the batch file they will double in file size, without any gain in quality.

All of these could have a negative impact if you process a bunch of AI.

The only difference between FS Extended Bitmaps and .DDS files is the flipping. With today's modern GPUs I doubt you will see a noticeable difference in performance by converting the textures.

And Keith says he uses DXT5 for FS9, DXT5 will crash FS9.

cheers,
Lane

falcon409
August 25th, 2014, 17:37
Yep, all possible but I've never come across any of that. Also, and this is personal preference. Mip Maps for external textures are a waste. They are fine for custom scenery objects and AI Aircraft, but they also cause the blurries on many aircraft skins. They were fine for early models where the PC power was quite limited and rendering a full model at long distances would bog down the sim. Not nearly as problematic any more considering the processing power. Plus adding mips to an external model can add as much as 4meg to each texture. So choose what you wish, everyone has a differing opinion. . .this was mine.

Lane Street
August 25th, 2014, 18:39
I agree that mipmaps for user aircraft is a bad idea. I do see them as beneficial for AI.

The added file size is offset by the CPU not having to render a 1024 texture on a plane that covers 10 pixels of my screen.

I personally don't think there is a "one size fits all" when it comes to texture format.

I have seen prop textures that, IMO, look like dog doodoo in anything less than 32 bit.

My post was only meant to be informative.

cheers,
Lane

Jafo
August 25th, 2014, 20:30
Triple 8 [Extended] bitmaps are the way to go whilst creating [painting] as they are NOT a lossy-compression.
If you work instead with saved...and resaved DDS, no matter what resolution...you WILL introduce artifacts and a much inferior end result.

Rule 'should' be....work on the big files [888] until you finish...then convert to DDS [preferably via a 'controllable' weapon...[dxtBMP]...not a batch converter.
If you later want to alter...modify...go back to the [saved] triple 8 ....finish....reconvert to DDS...and overwrite.

A 4096x4096 triple 8 will be something like 65 MEG ....and the converted file in DDS [DXT5] will be about 16 - a quarter the size ...;)

Dev One
August 25th, 2014, 23:18
Lane Street --- my bad----I should have written DXT3! Sorry for any wrong alley route!

I create all my textures & save them layered in Paint Shop Pro 7 .psp format either 2048 x 2048 or 4096 x 4096. I then copy & save in Windows .bmp for applying to the model. For viewing the results I then save them to the models texture file either as DXT1 if no alpha, or DXT3 if there is alpha for FS9. These are of course 1024 x 1024. For FSX I have found it best for me to save them 2048 in 888 format - especially if I want fine detail, otherwise I will leave them as FS9 formats.

Interesting thread... learn something every day here! Thanks
Keith

Victory103
August 26th, 2014, 07:46
Well that finally explains why I have some of my MAIW AI models (made/painted for FS9) show up in FSX with black textures, some show fine. Thought I had every paint/batch file tool out there, thanks falcon409, will use with caution.