PDA

View Full Version : Getting my GPS back on screen?

MarkH
August 24th, 2014, 08:14
I am playing with trying to save the position of my 2D GPS panel, which I have on a separate monitor, but I keep losing it. Once I lose it from the screen, for some reason I also have a mouse pointer that constantly flashes between an arrow and an hourglass, which might be a sign of something else woeful. I am running in full screen mode.

So if my GPS is somewhere off screen, is there an easy way to get it back?

Tako_Kichi
August 24th, 2014, 08:34
Try running FSX in windowed mode instead of full screen. I use a second monitor for things like the GPS, FS Tramp map, FS Host chat box, Weather Set 2, Teamspeak, etc. but I have to run in windowed mode for most of those items to show up.

jandjfrench
August 25th, 2014, 06:19
Hi,
I don't know much about your system, just that you have multiple displays. Too many ifs involved if I try to fully answer your question. I suspect that "reloading" the aircraft will bring the GPS back. "Aircraft reload" is not programmed by default. I recommend assigning a control to it.
Jim F.

MarkH
August 25th, 2014, 08:08
Hi,
I don't know much about your system, just that you have multiple displays. Too many ifs involved if I try to fully answer your question. I suspect that "reloading" the aircraft will bring the GPS back. "Aircraft reload" is not programmed by default. I recommend assigning a control to it.
Jim F.

No, reloading the a/c doesn't help. Once it's in 'stuck' mode it's stuck until I restart FSX. And once I've saved a flight with the GPS on a second screen I can never use that flight without screwing the GPS up again. And when FSX loads I have to make sure the default flight isn't one where I've messed the GPS up.

My reason for asking was that I have heard of people losing windows before and so I thought this might be a common problem with a common solution. In case it helps, my main display is nVidia 2D surround on a GTX670 across three 19" monitors (4066x1024). The GPS is on a 7" display on an nVidia GT120.

That said, I have discovered another common factor that is probably at the root of my particular problem. I have been displaying my GPS with the 2D panel sized bigger than the display, so that the bezels and controls are clipped off (in other words, just the 'screen' part of the panel appears on the monitor). If I don't do this, I can save a flight without losing the GPS. It doesn't save the position, but the panel comes up on the main screen when I load the flight. Although running a 'clipped' panel appears to work reliably, I'd guess that saving a flight like this causes a problem.

P38man
August 25th, 2014, 17:11
Hi Mark!

Because you said this "Once I lose it from the screen, for some reason I also have a mouse pointer that constantly flashes between an arrow and an hourglass, which might be a sign of something else woeful."

Please try this and see if it fixes your sim issues.
WideViewAspect = False

and run this tool with both sliders always the same - I speculate 0.275 would be OK
https://sites.google.com/site/tocaedit/files - go down until you get to FSXFOV3.ZIP

You can run the tool after or before starting FSX it doesn't matter - nothing to install just a little tool I have been using for years to change the field of view.

Basically with WideViewAspect = False and the tool you can get the same view as WideScreenAspect = True but without the "flashing cursor from hell".

The flashing cursor pops up with some 2D panels.

You will never go back :)

MarkH
August 26th, 2014, 10:42
FSXFOV3.ZIP...Basically with WideViewAspect = False and the tool you can get the same view as WideScreenAspect = True but without the "flashing cursor from hell".
The flashing cursor pops up with some 2D panels.

Wow, that is an amazing tool. It is quite eerie to see the FOV changing in real-time and it also makes it possible to experiment with unequal X and Y FOVs! Unfortunately it does not make any difference to my problems with the GPS. As I am not getting the regular 'flashing cursor from hell' issue, I guess I am provoking some other problem that also has the FCFH as a side-effect. Thanks for the suggestion though!