PDA

View Full Version : Mission Builder Help?

msfossey
August 23rd, 2014, 20:26
Need a little help with something. I have setup an ETO version of CFS2 following Rami’s instructions. Everything works great when I use the stock aircraft. Sometimes when I use non-stock aircraft or aircraft converted from FS9, the game will not play in the “free flight” mode. Also, Mission Builder will not load and I get a “Failed to initialize the data base” message. When I take out the modified non-stock aircraft, all is good once again.

Any thoughts why this happens? Any solutions?

I would appreciate any input/advice that may help.

msfossey

Allen
August 23rd, 2014, 22:07
Sound like the 100 plane cap or the FS convet aircraft has some code left in them that needs to be removed. I don't know the code but I think it is somthing to do with "crash".

Shadow Wolf 07
August 24th, 2014, 04:08
Sound like the 100 plane cap or the FS convet aircraft has some code left in them that needs to be removed. I don't know the code but I think it is somthing to do with "crash".

How many aircraft do you have in the aircraft folder (count "skins" as single aircraft.)? How many and which aircraft are you having the problem with?

msfossey
August 25th, 2014, 10:38
I only have 30 aircraft, including multiple textures for one plane. I noticed that if I take out all the non-stock A/C, things work fine inclucing Mission Builder. Not sure why.

msfossey

Blood_Hawk23
August 25th, 2014, 12:06
I only have 30 aircraft, including multiple textures for one plane. I noticed that if I take out all the non-stock A/C, things work fine inclucing Mission Builder. Not sure why.

msfossey

I would suggest adding each AC one at a time until the offending AC is found.

Checklist:

-Does it have a panel and sound file. or is it aliased correctly.

-Delete the CDP file for each. don't worry CFS2 will remake it.

-Is the AC correctly labeled in the aircraft.cfg. It should match the name of the MDL file found in the model folder. minus the .mdl extension of coarse.

-Have you added the AC to the Quick Combat list.

-Did you rename the AC. if so you may want to go back to the author's original name.

These are the basics. check them all first. It only takes one to mess it all up.

extra note.

If you have an AC with more then 5 textures I would make a new copy of the model. Just rename it so there is no confusion.

Also that 100 AC limit will include the textures.

msfossey
August 25th, 2014, 20:03
Bloodhawk/Shadow Wolfe/Allen, thank you for taking the time to respond. Bloodhawk, how do I add the AC to the Quick Combat list? I have not done this before.

Thanks,

msfossey

Allen
August 25th, 2014, 20:24
You don't need to edit the Quick Combat list. I think that was missing a "?" at the end.

Blood_Hawk23
August 25th, 2014, 21:54
the easiest way is to use JoneSoft CFS Quick Combat Editor. I believe you can get it at SimV. if you want to fly any of the planes in QC you will have to add them.

its not needed but i find it useful when testing new AC flight dynamics.

Archive1
September 3rd, 2014, 21:35
If new aircraft entered service after the mission it will not be recognized look for this in the aircraft DP file:
[MISC_DATA]
unit_family=1
category=5
allegiance=3
max_group_size=8
min_speed=225
cruise_speed=275
max_speed=340
min_alt=50
cruise_alt=500
max_alt=7620
entered_service=1/1/40
crew=2
Change the entered service to something stupid like 1/1/30 for any new aircraft - will avoid the problem
-=Archive1=-

Archive1
September 3rd, 2014, 21:57
To edit the quick combat file:
Open QUICKCOM in the main list;
Make a copy of the qc_plane file and drop it on your desktop so you have a bail-out if things go south. Rename it “qc_plane_orig” or sumpin like that.

Double click on the qc_plane file to open it, and there you are. All the aircraft are listed in the different categories they are in for the Quick Combat main menu. Don’t worry at first about getting your new plane into all the proper categories. Just get it into the first one and later go back and edit the categories if you want.

Now, you follow the displayed format for any aircraft you want to add, precisely. Repeat you follow precisely the format for each plane you enter:

[option.0]
OptionName=%FightersOption%
aircraft.0=BSK_Spitfire_MkVCStd
family_type.0=1
name.0=%BSK_Spitfire_MkVCStd%

Change this or to add a fighter (family_type.0=1) to something called ‘XYZ_Barfplane’ you get:

[option.0]
OptionName=%FightersOption%
aircraft.0= XYZ_Barfplane
family_type.0=1
name.0=% XYZ_Barfplane %

Then drop down to thevery bottom and find:
"BSK_Spitfire_MkVCStdOption" =BSK_Spitfire_MkVCStd

Change that to:
“ XYZ_BarfplaneStdOption” = XYZ_Barfplane

And find:
"BSK_Spitfire_MkVCStdName"=BSK_Spitfire_MkVCStd

Change that to:
“XYZ_BarfplaneStdName”= XYZ_Barfplane
You’re done.
Sounds complicated? Nah. Just look at the file, the organization is pretty clear cut.
-=Archive1=-

msfossey
September 4th, 2014, 20:39
Thanks Archive1,

Appreciate the help.

msfossey

Rami
September 5th, 2014, 03:40
Msfossey,

Seeing that "MISC DATA" entry brings up another important MB tip...

This is CFS2 at its most confusing. In Mission Builder, when you select an aircraft, the speed is presented on the MB screen in knots.

However, in the misc data section of an aircraft's .dp file, the min speed, cruising speed, and maximum speed are listed in kilometers. Fairly frequently, aircraft designers miss this and enter these parameters as miles per hour, resulting in artificially low AI aircraft speeds.

The same is true for altitude, where the MB screen represents this in feet, whereas the misc data section represents this in meters.

Confusing, eh? :dizzy: :banghead:

Devildog73
September 5th, 2014, 03:50
Msfossey,

Seeing that "MISC DATA" entry brings up another important MB tip...

This is CFS2 at its most confusing. In Mission Builder, when you select an aircraft, the speed is presented on the MB screen in knots.

However, in the misc data section of an aircraft's .dp file, the min speed, cruising speed, and maximum speed are listed in kilometers. Fairly frequently, aircraft designers miss this and enter these parameters as miles per hour, resulting in artificially low AI aircraft speeds.

The same is true for altitude, where the MB screen represents this in feet, whereas the misc data section represents this in meters.

Confusing, eh? :dizzy: :banghead:

Ah yes, I have gotten quite used to the conversion charts online!!

Feet to meters and MPH/KmPH/Knots.

In addition to what Rami said, many resources on American aircraft list their minimum, cruise, and maximum speeds in MPH, as well as their flap % stall speeds also in MPH.

I learned this early in my CFS2 days as I attempted to modify aircraft to be more accurate in performance.

I am a bit anal retentive that way. I know this is just a computer simulation "game", but I do like accuracy of performance, realism rules.:adoration:

Blood_Hawk23
September 5th, 2014, 04:18
Ah yes, I have gotten quite used to the conversion charts online!!
Feet to meters and MPH/KmPH/Knots.

In addition to what Rami said, many resources on American aircraft list their minimum, cruise, and maximum speeds in MPH, as well as their flap % stall speeds also in MPH.

I learned this early in my CFS2 days as I attempted to modify aircraft to be more accurate in performance.
I am a bit anal retentive that way. I know this is just a computer simulation "game", but I do like accuracy of performance, realism rules.:adoration:

Here is another bit to go along with this.

The AI use these entries in the DP as part of thier flight envelope.

Min speed should be set to the takeoff and landing speeds or the stall speed of the AC. Criuse should be the best Economical Speed or To the best known Cruising speed this should match the Cruise Alt. Max Speed is the fastest Speed in a Strait line. don't add dive speed.

Min Alt Has come up before. If I remember right it Has something to do with the landing of the AI. Cruise Alt should be as I mentioned before. Max alt should match the actual Max Ceiling of the AC.

As Rami mentioned they are All in metric in the DP. Height is in Meters and Speed is in KPH

I have a Spreadsheet that will conver the speeds From MPH to Kts and KPH or any combination of that.

There are trick for adding slow flying objects in MB by changing the Speeds and then hand editing the mission. by doing this you can add a stationary balloon in MB and have it hover in one place. If you want to know how it works I suggest downloading the Zeppelin L-44.