PDA

View Full Version : We were in Goggle news

Ickie
January 24th, 2009, 02:20
On Google news today
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2339520,00.asp
we were the only FS community mentioned in a writeup about the ending of the Aces team

Snuffy
January 24th, 2009, 04:00
Which explains the 600 some odd guests we have and that they're all viewing the thread ...

:welcome:

Francois
January 24th, 2009, 04:22
On Google news today
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2339520,00.asp
we were the only FS community mentioned in a writeup about the ending of the Aces team

Tsk tsk tsk.... just goes to show how 'niche' we all really are. Unfortunate, very unfortunate.

OBIO
January 24th, 2009, 04:32
I am not suprised that SOH was noted in the article....I have never found another forum of any sort that was so well populated with the cream of the crop. There are more talented, skilled, and generous members on this site than I can honetly fathom...from freeware skinners to payware modelers, we have an amazing collection of movers and shakers within the FS and CFS community.

OBIO

Cazzie
January 24th, 2009, 04:51
Don't forget the freeware model developers OBIO. Piglet, Milton, LilSki, Lucas, Rick Piper, Mike Cyul,Lionheart, PuttPutt, Brian Gladden etc., have all done freeware and all superior stuff, some even should be payware. This is without doubt the best Flight Sim community amoung the lot. I have been around and I only frequent one every day, sometimes for too long in that day, and that is SOH.

I salute you folks.:ernae:

Caz

cheezyflier
January 24th, 2009, 05:45
kSa8IWWXX5k

OBIO
January 24th, 2009, 05:59
Cazzie,

I meant for my statement to be all inclusive: from freeware skinners to payware modelers....was meant to reflect every level of involvement in sim work....skinning (which is the easiest thing to do from my experience), to DP tweakers (for the CFS crowd), to panel makers, sound makers, scenery makers, mission and campaign writers, freeware modelers, payware modelers.

Every level of sim development is vital to the longevity and freshness of the sims...be it CFS1, CFS2, FSX. Without all the men and women who work behind the scenes reskinning aircraft to give us all a wider selection of pretty planes, to those folks who toil away making updated and fresher looking panels, to those folks who sit at their systems bending and pushing polygons for free or fee....without all these folks, we would be flying nothing but out-of-the-box combat flight simulators or flight simulators...and how dull would that be. Without all of these people, would CFS1 still be rolling along...nope. Would CFS2 be, not just rolling along, but growing stronger and deeper...nope. Would FS2004 be such a wonderful way to spend a good portion of your living hours...nope.

OBIO

jmig
January 24th, 2009, 06:13
Tsk tsk tsk.... just goes to show how 'niche' we all really are. Unfortunate, very unfortunate.

Hi Francois, not trying to pick here, I am just curious as to what you meant. Could you elaborate on that statement for my edification? I am confused.

rhumbaflappy
January 24th, 2009, 06:31
It's too bad the geniuses at corporate Microsoft didn't figure out they should fire 5000 Kelda Rericha's, and keep the people that were actually making something. Exact same thing is happening in the automobile industry... they think the corporate management structure is more important than the actual manufacturing facilities.

This doesn't bode well for the future of Windows7 and beyond.

Limp way to try to prop up shareholder market value... "gotta fire somebody!" As usual, they fired the wrong people.

Dick

Jagdflieger
January 24th, 2009, 07:29
We also have our home page link posted in Wikipedia's page on CFS 2.

Last paragraph in the article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Flight_Simulator_2

srgalahad
January 24th, 2009, 08:17
Just noticed the new banner headline

I hope there's a provision for them to put the :icon29::guinness: on a tab until they get re-employed.

Thanks Ickie et al - just more proof of why this is the best joint in town

Rob

GT182
January 24th, 2009, 09:50
Nuthing beats The Outhouse. Congrats on being Gooled. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/GT182/Thumbup.gif

n4gix
January 24th, 2009, 10:02
"Rericha added. "You should expect us to continue to invest in enabling great Live experiences on Windows, including flying games, but we have nothing specific to announce at this time."

That single word is proof positive about just how far out of touch with reality the suits at Microsoft are. Are they really so blind as not to have noticed the truly huge base of users who do NOT consider FS a "game?" :faint:

Thoe6969
January 24th, 2009, 10:08
I am not suprised that SOH was noted in the article....I have never found another forum of any sort that was so well populated with the cream of the crop. There are more talented, skilled, and generous members on this site than I can honetly fathom...from freeware skinners to payware modelers, we have an amazing collection of movers and shakers within the FS and CFS community.

OBIO Dang, here I thought we were the only forum.:whistle:

Odie
January 24th, 2009, 12:58
Ah, that's what that strange sensation was.... a GOOGLE running through SOH ! :woot:

TARPSBird
January 24th, 2009, 16:31
"Rericha added. "You should expect us to continue to invest in enabling great Live experiences on Windows, including flying games, but we have nothing specific to announce at this time."
What is this "Live" that they're referring to in the press release?

Lionheart
January 24th, 2009, 17:09
What is this "Live" that they're referring to in the press release?

I was curious about that myself.

Bill

FengZ
January 24th, 2009, 18:27
"Live" is something Microsoft has been adding to the end of many of its recent products (Office Live, MSN Live, XBox Live, etc.). There is no real definition, but it has to do with how all these products can interface with the internet and the web. "Live" products allow users to seamlessly use internet resources and has many of it's content stored onlines (such as Xbox Live). This is in line of MS's grand plan to integrate an online service into everything they make.

As far as Flightsim goes, i believe MS might outsource the develope out to an external studio. There are a few around right now w/ strong financial ties to MS.

IPs are extremely valuable to a company....so the Flightsim IP will not get axed.

-feng

cheezyflier
January 25th, 2009, 05:21

That single word is proof positive about just how far out of touch with reality the suits at Microsoft are. Are they really so blind as not to have noticed the truly huge base of users who do NOT consider FS a "game?" :faint:

in the past, on other forums, i have seen the debate on wether or not fs is a game or not degenerate into full on wars. my point at that time was the same as it is now -
microsoft has always considered fs a game. they made that clear in the file tree where you can find your fs files. how we classify it makes little difference to them. they never hid this from anyone, it was always in plain sight.

djscoo
January 25th, 2009, 10:33
in the past, on other forums, i have seen the debate on wether or not fs is a game or not degenerate into full on wars. my point at that time was the same as it is now -
microsoft has always considered fs a game. they made that clear in the file tree where you can find your fs files. how we classify it makes little difference to them. they never hid this from anyone, it was always in plain sight.
Fixed! :wiggle:

cheezyflier
January 25th, 2009, 13:40
nicely done! if someone didn't already know, that would look pretty real