PDA

View Full Version : Two problems with MTO upgrades

Archive1
August 15th, 2014, 10:38
I've just started to upgrade my old MTO campaigns with Rami's newer versions (Dodecanese, Western Desert, Malta-spitfires, etc) and have run into two problems that I did not get with the ETO upgrades I did:

1. Although I've carefully checked off - as I've downloaded and installed all the objects listed as needed - I still have four missing with the Malta-Spitfires campaign: inf_camo_net, jmk_inf_bouy_green/red, jmk_thor_combat and hog_islander_a - have I missed something somewhere?

2. I'm using the MTO master airbase.dat list provided and have cleared the ';' before the NDB listing for each airbase, but I get no response from the NDB input dial on any panel of any aircraft However, entering the Lat and Long data gives a correct indication for direction and distance and the gps100a entries are 'hot'. Any help with this?

Actually have one additional problem, but let's try to get these two fixed first.

BTW - have been working with CFS since it was released way back when, with lots of mission, scenery, aircraft mods, etc. (I mention this, not to brag, but just to let people know I'm not a beginner.)
Thanks - Archive1

Shadow Wolf 07
August 15th, 2014, 11:10
Archive1: #2 - the ADF/NDB signals should be imbedded in the SCA files of the scenery bgl and should show whether they are listed on the airbases.dat or not. It will only give you the bearing/heading but you'll have to work out or "guestimate" the distance yourself. This is where a scaled map comes in handy or even the map scale in the game, unless you are using GPS. Don't know why the NDB isn't working for you.

kdriver
August 15th, 2014, 11:28
Hi Archive1,

I wouldn't clear the semi-colons from the airbase.dat as that may corrupt the file and cause problems with missions. As Shadow Wolf says the NDB frequency and range are embedded in the scenery .bgl file for each airbase. Are you in radio range of the particular NDB to which you're tuned?

The two jmk ... missing objects are found here: http://www.geocities.jp/usio_no_ibuki/index.htm

As for the other two missing objects, I can't remember offhand but I'm sure Rami will know.

Kevin

Shadow Wolf 07
August 15th, 2014, 11:57
As kdriver intimates, knowing the distance to the NDB emitter is essential. As I recall the scenery builder has to set his choice of range for the NDB (in Flight Simulator Scenery Creator - FSSC) in nautical miles. In the past, most have chosen ranges of 85nm to 100nm. If you are outside that distance, you ADF "receiver" will not detect the signal. If you can pick up 2 or more known signals you can use resection to plot your position on a map and you'll know at what heading you have to fly to pick up the signal from your "target" base.

highpockets
August 15th, 2014, 13:19
AF_AA_Pak2.zip for info_camo_net

Rami
August 15th, 2014, 13:25
Good evening,

Archive:

JMK Thor combat: http://www.geocities.jp/usio_no_ibuki/ship_model3/Thor_combat.zip

JMK buoys: http://www.geocities.jp/usio_no_ibuki/EFFECTS/JMK_inf_Buoy.zip

Hog Islander: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=42&id=6341

Archive1
August 15th, 2014, 14:35
Arrrrgh! I’ve written a long reply twice now and it failed to go. Here’s a much, much shortened reply:

Have downloaded the objects – thanks all.

Have tested the NDBs at the airbase itself and at various altitudes – no joy.

Have used “;” and “*” to temporarily inactivate code when modifying panels and missions. One must remove the “;” or “*” to permit other code calling that line to read it. I think I’m right about this.

BGLs - Have both: SCENEDB/JHS_xxx/scenery/xxx.bgl (or whatever JHS_xxx one is using) AND SCENEDB/afdfiles/scenery/xxx.bgl where NDBs reside. Have tested airbases that are listed in each – nada.

Stumped. No problem like this with ETO upgrade.

Thanks guys. Archive1

Archive1
August 15th, 2014, 14:40
AF_AA_Pak2.zip for info_camo_net

Highpockets - you're almost as ancient as I am...just turned 80 last week. Thanks for the info. Watch your six.

-=Archive1=-

Shadow Wolf 07
August 15th, 2014, 15:13
Extract the zip below to any folder and then Install the: InstallVB6Runtime.EXE and the RAFadf-helper-for-CFS2-FULL.exe into your MTO Installation. Then try the ADF/NDB again. These priograms/utilities will not harm your computer or the install. These may make the ADF/NDB function work.

highpockets
August 15th, 2014, 16:44
Thanks Archive1!
Always watching my six--born too late to fly props in WWII and too poor to race cars, so here I am! :wavey:

Rami
August 15th, 2014, 17:13
Always watching my six--born too late to fly props in WWII and too poor to race cars, so here I am! :wavey:

Up here in Yankeeland, we call this "a day late and a dollar short." :p87:

Archive1
August 15th, 2014, 19:29
Thanks Archive1!

Was a flight surgeon so depended on my front seat pilot to survive. But, hey, hard to watch the six with bifocals. A friend said that, "..at this age we always start a conversation with a recital...of medical problems. Enough...let's not discourage the young'uns. Be well, my friend.-=Archive1=-

Archive1
August 15th, 2014, 19:38
Extract the zip below to any folder and then Install the: InstallVB6Runtime.EXE and the RAFadf-helper-for-CFS2-FULL.exe into your MTO Installation. Then try the ADF/NDB again. These priograms/utilities will not harm your computer or the install. These may make the ADF/NDB function work.

Thanks. Will give it a try.

Archive1
August 15th, 2014, 19:47
Well, Fibber, problem is that I've had MD after my name for 50 years...old before my time maybe.
Thanks, Archive1

Archive1
August 17th, 2014, 07:49
Rami, highpockets, Shadow Wolf, et al

We older guys are slow, but persistent. I now have the NDB problem fixed.

My SCENEDB/runways file was filled with African CFS2 _xxx_AFD.bgl and CFS2_xxx_RUN.bgl files – where did they come from? Dunno. Deleted all of them (along with filelist, of course), but left the now-empty runways file itself in place.

My SCENEDB/afdfiles was also filled with African xxx.bgl stuff –have no idea where it came from (cfs2afd.bgl certainly came with original CFS2 program – getting rid of that eliminated all those Pacific theater airbases that were inappropriate for the MTO) – I cleaned everything out of this file too.

Now all the airbase NDBs work cleanly and only appropriate airbases appear, with the aircraft headed correctly.

Compared the Lat/Long, alt, heading of each mission airbase in Western Desert, Malta-Spitfires and Dodecanese campaigns and found only one discrepancy:

Quadra Sponda mission #5 does not exactly match the 8106 Barce Master airbase.dat for Lat/Long. Probably not very important, but I corrected it. Rami – hat’s off for precision.

However, although everything is cleaned up, and although am using the Master airbase.dat, the Advanced Information ‘map’ still does not work. No CTD, just get that bland, Pacific island generic view.

Any ideas why this still fails? I have Achim’s newest JHS_xxx and xxx.gsl files loaded (such as JHS_Italy, JHS_Greece, etc.) and am using the proper Master airbase.dat file.

Thanks for all the input. Archive1

Archive1
August 17th, 2014, 07:55
Sorry about the duplicates - having fits with the thread input.

Shadow Wolf 07
August 17th, 2014, 10:21
Like you, Archive1, for some reason, mine doesn't show other than the blank Solomons map when I hit M or open the advanced info key - even the goals and effects data are not listed missions in at least 2 installs. And I am using windows 7 which never gave me a problem before.

Rami
August 17th, 2014, 11:06
Rami, highpockets, Shadow Wolf, et al

We older guys are slow, but persistent. I now have the NDB problem fixed.

My SCENEDB/runways file was filled with African CFS2 _xxx_AFD.bgl and CFS2_xxx_RUN.bgl files – where did they come from? Dunno. Deleted all of them (along with filelist, of course), but left the now-empty runways file itself in place.

My SCENEDB/afdfiles was also filled with African xxx.bgl stuff –have no idea where it came from (cfs2afd.bgl certainly came with original CFS2 program – getting rid of that eliminated all those Pacific theater airbases that were inappropriate for the MTO) – I cleaned everything out of this file too.

Now all the airbase NDBs work cleanly and only appropriate airbases appear, with the aircraft headed correctly.

Compared the Lat/Long, alt, heading of each mission airbase in Western Desert, Malta-Spitfires and Dodecanese campaigns and found only one discrepancy:

Quadra Sponda mission #5 does not exactly match the 8106 Barce Master airbase.dat for Lat/Long. Probably not very important, but I corrected it. Rami – hat’s off for precision.

However, although everything is cleaned up, and although am using the Master airbase.dat, the Advanced Information ‘map’ still does not work. No CTD, just get that bland, Pacific island generic view.

Any ideas why this still fails? I have Achim’s newest JHS_xxx and xxx.gsl files loaded (such as JHS_Italy, JHS_Greece, etc.) and am using the proper Master airbase.dat file.

Thanks for all the input. Archive1

Archive1,

I'm not sure about why you might be having issues with the Advanced Info screen. I discussed this at length with Greg, (Shadow Wolf 07) because we are both running Windows 7. The only thing I can think of is that achim27619 told me once that for the airbase.dat file to work properly, there needs to be a little symbol below the last airbase.dat entry that looks like a square or an arrow. If that isn't in your file, that could cause some issues.

I am going to go through and just dust off the Med after I get done with Europe, so give me a week or two on Quarta Sponda.

Archive1
August 17th, 2014, 15:50
Rami:

Good point re: bit at end of airbase.dat, but I think I've been very careful of that since I used to modify my own list. Will check.

No hurry about the Sponda - just thought it was worth a comment.

Oh, and I'm using both XP and Win 7 on two different computers. Same issue.

Rami
August 17th, 2014, 17:20
Rami:

Good point re: bit at end of airbase.dat, but I think I've been very careful of that since I used to modify my own list. Will check.

No hurry about the Sponda - just thought it was worth a comment.

Oh, and I'm using both XP and Win 7 on two different computers. Same issue.

Archive1,

Just so you can see I'm not blowing smoke, here is a screenshot of my flying a mission off Crete with the Advanced Info screen working on my desktop.

Archive1
August 17th, 2014, 19:31
Rami - no thought of that. Checked the thingy at the end of the airbase.dat...it's there. Tried again tonight, still no advanced infor map. Dunno. Will explore.
Thanks, -=Archive1=-

Archive1
August 17th, 2014, 21:23
Rami (Shadow wolf)
Rami your insert shows all four : Briefing, Goals, Events, Stats and a description of the mission. Mine shows only the squares for Briefing and Goals (but not 'hot') with not even blocks for Events and Stats and nothing in the large block for mission description. Regardless of the map information
Where does the Advanced Info come from in the program? In other words, where can one find the code? Anybody know?

Rami
August 18th, 2014, 01:48
Archive1,

As far as my understanding of CFS2 goes, the "modules" folder holds the key. I'm wondering if perhaps it boils down to the cfsmap.dll and mplanner.dll files. Mine are 428kb and 488kb, respectively. Perhaps this doesn't check out the same on your end?

Shadow Wolf 07
August 18th, 2014, 03:35
Rami (Shadow wolf)
Rami your insert shows all four : Briefing, Goals, Events, Stats and a description of the mission. Mine shows only the squares for Briefing and Goals (but not 'hot') with not even blocks for Events and Stats and nothing in the large block for mission description. Regardless of the map information
Where does the Advanced Info come from in the program? In other words, where can one find the code? Anybody know?

Mine displays the same info or lack of info. I'm thinking it might come from using my airbase.dat file with the new basses added onto the end rather that the one that's included in the campaign pack. This results in having different runway and Id numbers but the same base than the original mission file indicates. Could this possibly be the reason?

kdriver
August 18th, 2014, 05:37
I've found nearly any error in the airbases.dat file will cause the above problems as well as in Mission Builder. I spent ages trying to track down a similar problem, in the end finding a square bracket "]" was missing.

Missing airbase numbers or duplicate airbase ID numbers will probably cause headaches.

I use a single airbases.dat file for my ETO/MTO/EF installations. I use Achim's/Rami's ID numbers as much as possible. I find having one file makes it easier for amendments and tracking down duplications or other errors.

In an ideal CFS 2 world, every airbase, regardless of who made it, would have its own specific ID number.

Archive1
August 18th, 2014, 15:45
Rami - I've the same size files in modules.

Archive1
August 19th, 2014, 20:09
Rami, highpockets, Shadow Wolf 07:
I have tried several approaches to the lack of the Advanced Inf problem in the MTO series:
1. I swapped out the MODULES/cfsmap.dll and mplanner.dll from the CFS2/MTO program that I’m using with two *.dll files from a ‘clean’ CFS install –maybe there was some corruption of those two files. Nope.
2. Maybe the Scenery Library placement of the JHS_*** files needed to be changed – either up down. Did both. Nope.
3. Used the same ‘Crete’ MTO airbase.dat file that Rami must have used in his graphic reply. His worked, well…Nope.
4. Would the scenery.cfg file be a problem. Looks OK, but where’s the evil genii? Put a few files into the SCENEDB/afdfiles and SCENEDB/runways that I had cleared of old stuff to make sure that there was something resident in them, since they are both required in the scenery.cfg file. Nope.
Clearly the main MTO airbase.dat file is OK. I presume that’s the one Rami uses, and it worked for him. I have gone through much of that dat file and do not find any of the usual routine errors – wrong sequence, wrong ID number, lost symbols…etc. Again, a clean file. And, no, I’ve not made any edits to it.
Now, yes of course, one can fly the program and missions without this function, but it is frustrating to just give up on a clearly solvable problem for which there must be a solution.
-=Archive1=-

Rami
August 20th, 2014, 03:12
Archive1,

If you post your scenery.cfg as an attachment, I can take a look...

highpockets
August 20th, 2014, 16:46
don't know if this helps. My mto 1158711588

Sarg Willy
August 20th, 2014, 20:14
Here,s a long shot , what are your screen display settings , We know mission builder and map display can creat a problem if too high a resolution is used , try 800x600 ,,

Archive1
August 20th, 2014, 21:46
Rami: Here 'tis_
Am dismayed at taking so much of your time with this. But appreciated.
Archive1

[General]
Title=CFS2 World
Description=CFS 2 Scenery data
Cache_Size=10M
Clean_on_Exit=TRUE
[Area.001]
Title=Default Scenery
Local=scenery
Active=TRUE
Layer=2
Required=TRUE
Remote=
[Area.002]
Title=Terrain
Local=Scenedb\world
Active=TRUE
Texture_ID=1
Layer=1
Required=TRUE
Remote=
[Area.003]
Title=CFS1 Library
Local=Scenedb\library
Active=TRUE
Layer=5
Remote=
Required=FALSE
[Area.004]
Title=Airport Facilities Data
Local=Scenedb\AFDFiles
Active=TRUE
Layer=9
Required=TRUE
Remote=
[Area.005]
Title=Scenery Ships
Local=Scenedb\Ships
Active=TRUE
Layer=11
Remote=
Required=FALSE
[Area.006]
Title=Aircraft Weapons
Local=Scenedb\weapons
Active=TRUE
Layer=12
Required=TRUE
Remote=
[Area.007]
Title=Vehicles
Local=Scenedb\veh
Active=TRUE
Layer=13
Required=TRUE
Remote=
[Area.008]
Title=Effects
Local=Scenedb\fx
Active=TRUE
Layer=14
Required=TRUE
Remote=
[Area.009]
Title=Runways
Local=Scenedb\runways
Active=TRUE
Layer=15
Required=TRUE
Remote=
[Area.010]
Title=Buildings
Local=Scenedb\inf
Active=TRUE
Layer=16
Required=TRUE
Remote=
[Area.011]
Title=FS2000_props
Local=Scenedb\fs2kprop
Active=TRUE
Layer=17
Required=TRUE
Remote=
[Area.012]
Title=Africa
Local=SCENEDB\Africa
Remote=
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=3
[Area.015]
Title=Malta_BSK_V2
Local=SCENEDB\Malta_BSK_V2
Remote=
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=10
[Area.016]
Title=JHS_Italy
Local=SCENEDB\JHS_Italy
Remote=
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=8
[Area.017]
Title=JHS_North_Africa
Local=SCENEDB\JHS_North_Africa
Remote=
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=7
[Area.018]
Title=JHS_Greece
Local=SCENEDB\JHS_Greece
Remote=
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=4
[Area.019]
Title=JHS_Albania
Local=SCENEDB\JHS_Albania
Remote=
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=6

Rami
August 21st, 2014, 01:55
Rami: Here 'tis_

Am dismayed at taking so much of your time with this. But appreciated.

Archive1

Archive1,

Ah...but you see, kemosahbee, many years ago, it was I who was asking the questions. (Ask bearcat241 or Talon, they'll tell you) In addition, I am a teacher, and it has become engrained for me to want to help others along, provided they're willing to try on their own, which you so clearly are.

Back to business...

I noticed two major issues here. The attached "scenery.cfg" file corrects the errors and puts the layers in the correct, sequential order. Because you had a gap between [Area.012] and [Area.015], that meant that any scenery below (with higher numbers) than [Area.012] was not being recognized by CFS2.

The other major issue, (also corrected) is that the "area" and "layer" numbers, with the exception of areas 1 and 2, should always be the same. (E.g. Area 3, Layer 3, etc.)

This should help correct some of the basic issues.

By the way, are you using this to help you along?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=49&id=2932

I don't know what kind of scenery issues you may have been having, but that's bound to be part of it.

kdriver
August 21st, 2014, 11:49
Archive 1,

I notice you have Malta scenery by Brunosk. This needs to go into three separate scenery layers.

What scenery do you have in the Africa layer (as opposed to the JHS_North_Africa layer)?

Archive1
August 21st, 2014, 16:20
Rami: Interesting…I have installed all (repeat all) the SCENEDB/xxx scenery files as I usually do via the Scenery Library mechanism. I believed that this install process updated the scenery.cfg file correctly; at least as far as sequencing things properly. So I ask myself, how did a ‘gap’ appear? I have indeed moved the Library files up and down in an attempt to see if that would help: But again, I used the program’s Scenery Library process for doing so. At no time have I directly edited the scenery.cfg file itself.

Re: am I using this stuff? Absolutely.

I have thought my next step would be to start with a clean install and then swap out parts with sections of the MTO install and see when the Advanced Info bit failed. At least then would have a clue in what area to start looking for problems. Would have to think through the order of the swaps to make it work, of course.

Will stuff the new scenery.cfg into the program tonight and see what happens. May be the problem is solved. If so it does leave my query in the first paragraph on point though, doesn’t it? Or do I misunderstand the accuracy of the Scenery Library mechanism and should one always check the scenery.cfg file after adding (or deleting I suppose) a listing? Answer – of course.

Most appreciative, Teach. Have done a great deal of that myself in the medical field. Know the rewards and frustrations. Sincere, thanks.

-=Archive1=-

Kdriver - have to look. Back later - thanks

Archive1
August 23rd, 2014, 14:31
Rami and all:
Problem was that the INFO/airbases was a txt file, not .dat file - converted and problem was solved. Here's how for those who don't know:
Converting a *.txt or *.rtf file to a *.dat file

Launch the program called Notepad by
double-clicking on the Notepad icon or by finding it in your list of programs.
Usually find it under the "Accessories" heading.

Click on “File" then choose "Open."
Open the file (INFO/airbases) that you want to convert to a data file.

Make any changes you want to make to the file,
then choose "Save As..."

Find the "Save as Type" option in the menu box. From the dropdown
menu choose "All files."

Delete the default name in the "File
Name" field, including the extension. Type in the name of the file you
want to save and add .dat to the end of the file name. In this case save as
“airbases.dat”.

Click save. It will now appear in the INFO file as
“airbases” and when you click “properties’ is will be shown as “airbases.dat”.

Rename the original “airbases” file which was the
.txt file that caused the Advanced Info problem something like
airbases_txt_file. Or delete it.

Any comments?
-=Archive1=-

Rami
August 23rd, 2014, 16:06
Archive1,

I appreciate you clarifying this, and I responded to this in the thread. :jump:

Archive1
September 3rd, 2014, 21:26
To all…esp Rami…many thanks for the assistance:

Had to take some time away to work out some real world chores.

To Rami: yes you did mention the *.txt vrs. *.dat problem with the airbase file that I belatedly discovered. Just was keeping too many balls in the air at once trying to solve the problem. Now all is well and I’m solving problems with other CFS2 theater problems.

kdriver: you mentioned Malta. Have no problems with it. Great scenery.

What have we (I) learned? (Never liked committee meetings without a summary at the end.)
1. Make sure you are using airbase.dat not airbase.txt – convert it if necessary if you have edited the master theater airbase list.
2. If you change the Scenery Library, check the scenery.cfg file – it will need editing.
3. Clean out old files in the SCENEDB/runways and afdfiles unless you want airbases from the Pacific showing up in the MTO/EFTO…etc
4. Edit (that is clean up) files in the SCENEDB folder – there may be stuff there that conflicts with a new JHS_* file – same for the GSL folder.
5. Make a master list of your own into which you put all the objects that you collect as you install each of Rami’s campaign updates – same for aircraft, scenery files. Will save massive time in the future.

Now would like to find out how to do some artwork on the airbase *.bgl files and add some objects. But that’s another thread.

Also, once again, learned that the SOH crowd is still as helpful and courteous as ever.
-=Archive1=-

Rami
September 4th, 2014, 07:05
Archive1,

No problem. It's why we are all here! :wavey:

Archive1
September 4th, 2014, 19:59
Over and out.
-=Archive1=-