PDA

View Full Version : Alphasim continues work on C17 Globemaster

euroastar350
January 23rd, 2009, 23:28
On the alpahsim news page. Or for you slow types:costumes:

http://www.alphasim.co.uk/index2.html

tigisfat
January 23rd, 2009, 23:58
No matter what is said by their many 'employees' and on the unnofficial Alphasim forum, we don't have the resources or connections to REALLY know what's going on. Only Dan or Phil can answer that.

We've been told for a year now that 'work continues' on the C-17. That's fine, but here's what we do know as facts:

1.:kilroy: It was to be released shortly (within weeks) almost a year ago. These pictures were shown publically way back then; They do not signify progress.

2. :gossip:There was some sort of internal conflict between Alphasim and someone who was doing important work on the C-17. I don't know whether it was put on the backburner after he left or if they had to redo all of his work, but this event made the 'short release' a falsehood.

3.:hand: Phil has publically stated that he isn't that interested in releasing any more military stuff.

:ernae:While I certainly appreciate your attempt at keeping us updated,
I think there's a lot more to this story than we'll know. That being said, I wouldn't count on it ever being released; nor would I advise anyone else to save up for it. I stopped biting my nails a long time ago. Well, okay...I still have my fingers crossed on ONE hand.

d0mokun
January 24th, 2009, 00:14
1) Things change. It was originally intended to be a get-in-and-fly affair, now it's not.

2) That 'conflict' happened over a year ago now and was resolved shortly after it occured.

3) That may or may not be the case (read that how you will), but it makes no sense to drop projects that have been so heavily invested in.

As stated everywhere else continually- there are no updates because:
1) Pierre is texturing the C-17.
2) Ernie Alston is working on the cockpit displays.

Once those two parts are done, new previews will appear.

I would ask that out of courtesy before issuing your 'advice', you wait for a few facts and so on to appear from team members.

That said I only know as much as I'm told nowadays.

Other than the above there really is no more to the story than you all know. No conspiracy, no big plan, sorry chaps. It's a detailed model and it's taking time, simply because it's had its fair share of roadblocks along the way.

ATB
Dan.

-Though my post may sound harsh, it really is upsetting every time the C-17 comes up to see the expected posts about it being vapourware and so on so forth. It is in build and it takes time- I nor anyone else can solve that. I assure you Phil & co are as eager to have the C-17 out as its many fans!

gajit
January 24th, 2009, 00:37
I hope your doing the VC Dan - your latest cockpits have been excellent.

d0mokun
January 24th, 2009, 00:39

The VC has already been built though by the original artists- there's not much else to do apart from systems and sim work!

michael davies
January 24th, 2009, 01:33
Having invested a significant amount of time in the projects early days I too was concerned about the C-17.

I spoke to Phil around Xmas time and asked how it was going, it is progressing and will hopefully be released this year.

As Dan says, the project criteria has changed along the way and this has required extra work and of course aforementioned delays.

Regarding Phil not being interested in military models, I dont think thats true, I know he is, or certainly used to be, very interested in unique or off the beaten track military stuff, so I think the correct phraseology would be that Alphasim is not doing 'as much' military stuff. I suspect the truth is...people are probably not buying enough of it to sustain that vein of subject matter any more.

The commercial viz military debate is, from my understanding, purely business orientated, if civil out sells military then civil it'll be, I dont think the decision is a personal preference TBH.

Best

Michael

shackleton_boy
January 24th, 2009, 07:31
so is this one going to be us$50 or something?:faint:

Kiwikat
January 24th, 2009, 07:42
so is this one going to be us$50 or something?:faint:

Well, if you compare it to other projects with LNAV and VNAV functions, a nicely equipped FMC, and all the other goodies, I think the price will be justified. That being said, I don't know what Phil plans on including in the final package. A while back I was expecting all of those neat autopilot features, but I don't know what to think anymore.

I wish AlphaSim luck in finishing it though. I joined their beta team last January to test it, and it still isn't nearing completion. Doesn't seem like I'll get to test it. :kilroy:

shackleton_boy
January 24th, 2009, 07:50
KiwiKat - if its on par with PMDG and the like then sure - charge those prices.... but its Alphasim... but i'll shut up now :rapture:

Kiwikat
January 24th, 2009, 07:52
KiwiKat - if its on par with PMDG and the like then sure - charge those prices.... but its Alphasim... but i'll shut up now

I don't have any control over that, trust me. The only project I had any significant pricing influence over was the Long-EZ (because I bitched, whined, bitched some more, and kept whining, just ask Dan :jump:), and guess what, it is probably the best value at AlphaSim and nearly anywhere else IMHO.:173go1:

Just BTW, PMDG products aren't 50 dollars... I wish they were though :kiss:

tigisfat
January 24th, 2009, 10:48
I would ask that out of courtesy before issuing your 'advice', you wait for a few facts and so on to appear from team members.

In my post, everything was either fact or admitted opinion. What was wrong with that? I don't know why it made you upset. You said to wait for facts from team members, but you didn't say that anything I said was untrue, because it's not. Nothing I said was unfair either, for that matter. You can't step in and say "the C-17 is still under work" after you said a year ago it would be released in short order and not invite speculation.

Look, noone has rights to that C-17 except for you guys, so noone has a right to hear about it or see it. I understand that. BUT: It is highly anticipated, and things have changed behind the scenes without us knowing. Like I said; that's fine, but you can't expect us to not share what we do know and/or offer opinions to others wondering what's going on.

Gdavis101
January 24th, 2009, 11:48
Looks great!

JensOle
January 24th, 2009, 11:59
Anybody who knows how the C-17's of the new NATO Airlift Wing will be painted? I have some computer based drawing with Hungarian tail flash, but thats it.

Odie
January 24th, 2009, 12:46
Thanks for the update, Dan ! This one is on my "to-get" list.

Warrant
January 24th, 2009, 13:22
1) Things change. It was originally intended to be a get-in-and-fly affair, now it's not.

2) That 'conflict' happened over a year ago now and was resolved shortly after it occured.

3) That may or may not be the case (read that how you will), but it makes no sense to drop projects that have been so heavily invested in.

As stated everywhere else continually- there are no updates because:
1) Pierre is texturing the C-17.
2) Ernie Alston is working on the cockpit displays.

Once those two parts are done, new previews will appear.

That said I only know as much as I'm told nowadays.

Other than the above there really is no more to the story than you all know. No conspiracy, no big plan, sorry chaps. It's a detailed model and it's taking time, simply because it's had its fair share of roadblocks along the way.

ATB
Dan.

-Though my post may sound harsh, it really is upsetting every time the C-17 comes up to see the expected posts about it being vapourware and so on so forth. It is in build and it takes time- I nor anyone else can solve that. I assure you Phil & co are as eager to have the C-17 out as its many fans!

Great news. The screenshots on the AS site look promising. Now considering to actually get an email adress from my provider and purchase this eyecandy from AS.

Hope the bird comes with a paintkit, wanna make another series of (still) fictional RNLAF Globemasters (as i did for the FS9 FSD one). :wavey:

JensOle
January 24th, 2009, 13:33
It does (soon) not need to be fictional.... just paint it up as the NATO HAW C-17 Globemasters which the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Netherlands</st1:country-region></st1:place> share ownership in....

Pepere
January 24th, 2009, 14:21
Looks nice. I've been hoping for the c17.. Hope they finish it.

David :kilroy: