PDA

View Full Version : Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 X2

SirBenn21
January 23rd, 2009, 22:05
Thought I would spoil myself a bit and get myself with

This...

The reviews I've read have got alot of good things to say about this card and I can't wait to give it a whirl!
Anyone else got some comments of firsthand experiance. I would appreciate it. I would be replacing a 8800 GTX, would I see a increase in fps?
I know some are going to say it will not make that much of a difference in FSX, but I do play other titles. By the way has anyone given DCS Black Shark by Eagle Dynamics a go?

Ben

txnetcop
January 24th, 2009, 02:24
Thought I would spoil myself a bit and get myself with

This...

The reviews I've read have got alot of good things to say about this card and I can't wait to give it a whirl!
Anyone else got some comments of firsthand experiance. I would appreciate it. I would be replacing a 8800 GTX, would I see a increase in fps?
I know some are going to say it will not make that much of a difference in FSX, but I do play other titles. By the way has anyone given DCS Black Shark by Eagle Dynamics a go?

Ben

Unless you play other games that will take advantage of the second GPU it will not add much to the frame rates on FSX, however the HIS HD4870 ICE-Q4 Turbo and HIS HD4850 ICE-Q4 is just as fast and a lot cheaper. However this card is kickarse in other games that use that second GPU.
Ted

harleyman
January 24th, 2009, 04:11
I agree that it will not give large advantages...But I use the 4870X2 also and find the colors to be excellent ..

But its a smokin card ..

Let us know if this is your first ATI card ,it takes some special attention to set up some times and tends to run very hot.But it can be cooled with the fans...

SirBenn21
January 24th, 2009, 05:16
Thanks all.

It is my first ATI in quite a while. I would appreciate a little guidance with this one.

Thanks

Ben

harleyman
January 24th, 2009, 05:53
Give me 15 minutes and I will give you a step by step......I will post it back here in this thread.....

SirBen.........
First go get the newest 8.12 driver..For your OS ..Choose the first one with the complete CCenter (not just the drivers)
Install it..then open your Catalist Control Center....
On the left at the bottom select ATI Overdrive
See the Key ..Click it to open Overdrive,,That will Un-Gray all the features
Select (check) Manual fan Control Set it at 100% for now..You may be able to reduce it later to 80%..Yes it is loud...You will hear it spin up....As the card ehxausts out the back do not crowd it up against a wall..leave it as open as possible...LOL
Select Apply..That will spin the fan up.......

Now Back to the left...Select 3D..Scroll down to All Settings...
SmoothVision AA........Uncheck..Set at 8X
SmoothVision AF........Uncheck.. Set at 16X
Catalist AI............Uncheck.... Standard
MipMap Detail Level...........Quality
Wait for Vertical Refresh.........Quality
Adaptive Anti-Alaising ..Check......Quality
Open GL Settings....Check
Now select Apply.....And OK...That will apply all your settings and drop the CCC into your Tool tray...It will also be in your Program files list..

Thats it.....You will notice on the ATI Overdrive Page that your Core and Memory Clock Speeds do not show correctly..No worries..its an ATI thing..Means nothing...

Hope this covers it for you.....
These settings work great for me...You may need to play a tad here...but should be perfect for you too....

SirBenn21
January 24th, 2009, 09:13
Thanks Harleyman

Much appreciated. :wavey:

Ben

Wiens
January 24th, 2009, 09:44
Mason,

Thanks!! I'm trying your suggestions on my 3870X2; should be the same.

At the Open GL Settings do you mark both boxes? I have the Triple Buffering & Force 24-bit Z-buffering boxes.

Thanks,

Kevin

txnetcop
January 24th, 2009, 09:52
You would only apply triple buffering if using vertical refresh the other box Z buffering is for OPEN GL which FSX does not use
Ted

harleyman
January 24th, 2009, 10:00
Thanks txnetcop...You saved me butt there...I did not know how to answer Kevin......:woot:

Wiens
January 24th, 2009, 10:23
Thanks, Ted & Mason!!

So, I'll leave both boxes unchecked, correct?

Kevin

txnetcop
January 24th, 2009, 10:29
Thanks, Ted & Mason!!

So, I'll leave both boxes unchecked, correct?

Kevin

If you are going to use vertical refresh it would be wise to check triple buffering. If you are not going to use vertical refresh ya don't need it
Ted
Harleyman I just happened to be looking in don't mean to interfere here on the Guides ya do good work sir
Ted

Wiens
January 24th, 2009, 10:31
Well, heck Ted & Mason, I don't even know if I'm using vertical refresh!!!! Where do I check that?

Kevin

harleyman
January 24th, 2009, 10:33
Check Open GL only ....

Try it ...If not good uncheck it and try again....

txnetcop
January 24th, 2009, 11:54
Kevin are you using Catalyst 8.12?

Wiens
January 24th, 2009, 12:14
Yes. I did get an error message on reboot that the ATI 8.12 driver is not supported!! RivaTuner also said the same......

Kevin

txnetcop
January 24th, 2009, 12:32
Yes. I did get an error message on reboot that the ATI 8.12 driver is not supported!! RivaTuner also said the same......

Kevin
I think I would use 8.10 with the HD3870x2, but you should be able to use 8.12 with HD3870. How about wiping the driver and start over Amigo. I will keep monitoring this. There are two ways use catalyst with FSX. The first one I will show here by pictures. In method one I have antialiasing turned off in FSX and let the drivers to that job but do have anistropic turned on in FSX.

txnetcop
January 24th, 2009, 12:42
Method 2 allows me more frame rates. I have anialiasing and anistrophic turned on in FSX and have the box checked in the CATALYST along with HDSmoothvision anistrophic. This allows the sim to use its settings. I also disable catalyst AI but some system require you to have it checked or you will see artifacts all over the place.

txnetcop
January 24th, 2009, 12:45
If you are going to use FSX in windowed mode uncheck the two top boxes in the CATALYST then make sure you are running in Native mode. Set them for 8xAA and 16x Ani not that you will really get those settings in native mode but you will have no jaggies in windowed mode and it still will not slow down your sim. You may also uncheck vertical refresh in windowed mode and triple buffering to see if it is smoother for you outside of the aircraft. You will have to experiment there but each monitor seems to handle it differently.
Ted

Wiens
January 24th, 2009, 12:46
Ted,

I haven't tried a flight in FSX with the 8.12 drivers yet, but I will and report back........

I have one more setting options under 3D. Your last option is All Settings; after that I have More Settings.

I also have an option for 16X in the Smoothness HS Anti-Alaising check box.

Thanks,

Kevin

edit: I don't fly in windowed mode, only full screen

harleyman
January 24th, 2009, 15:07
Who knows ...Check em all...LOL

Actually I don't know ..More may bring up Vert Refresh...

I thought all Catalist were the same.....:help:

So did you get it going good?????

SirBenn21
January 24th, 2009, 17:27
Just wondering

Isn't there a program like nHancer for the ATI cards. That would make life a little easier.

:eek:

Anyway

Thanks again

Ben

harleyman
January 24th, 2009, 17:31
Are you having trouble getting it set up??

ASre you using the 8.12 CCC ?

There is ATI Tray Tools and Riva Tuner But to use them you must default your CCC back...

Wiens
January 24th, 2009, 18:29
The ATI 8.12 drivers sure don't like my card or system!!!!! I'm rebuilding my video setup.......argh!

SirBenn21; Here is the link to the Catalyst Software Suite. http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/radeonx-xp

Download it and your drivers are included. Note: this link is for XP not Vista!!

Kevin

SirBenn21
January 24th, 2009, 18:56
The ATI 8.12 drivers sure don't like my card or system!!!!! I'm rebuilding my video setup.......argh!

SirBenn21; Here is the link to the Catalyst Software Suite. http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/radeonx-xp

Download it and your drivers are included. Note: this link is for XP not Vista!!

Kevin

Hold on gents it's only arriving on Tuesday I hope (sorry for the miss understanding), so I have to still put it in my PC, but I'm so glad you all have given some good tips before I get it.
It just looks a bit different from my usual way of going things with my nVidia DC.

I've already downloaded the latest from the ATI website.

Ben

harleyman
January 24th, 2009, 19:11
LOL Ben...Too funny....We thought you were struggeling...

How did that happen......:faint: :ernae:

Keep us posted please.....

SirBenn21
January 28th, 2009, 00:37
I got it... I got it... :woot:

But man you gotta be kidding with that fan noise!!! :icon_eek: :faint:
Just a few questions. Is the fan control a bug at the moment that it doesn't control automatically?

and

What should your highest temp be?

Okay gonna go and play around.

Cheers

Ben

harleyman
January 28th, 2009, 04:05
Hi Ben... I guess its a bug , All I know as this is my first ATI card is that its not working....

Notice mine....

Temp.........38

Activity.........0%

Fan Speed.......100%