PDA

View Full Version : Dino Catanneo's S-3 Viking in Version 0.99 Available

stovall
August 3rd, 2014, 13:57
Dino has made his S-3 Viking in beta 0.99 available for download on his website. HERE!!! (http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.com/)

StormILM
August 3rd, 2014, 14:38
Dino, much thanks for the updated S-3B! I can see the fruits of your labor in this model versus the first Beta and I am very impressed. I took a stab at fixing the launch bar & holdback issue using the RFN carrier gauges. So far, the catapult holdback works as it is supposed to. I will continue testing it with the RFN gauges to see if it behaves as intended. BTW, the AICarrier approach & trap behavior is absolutely stable as a rock!

Thanks again!

MCDesigns
August 3rd, 2014, 18:47
Outstanding! Thanks for the HU.

StormILM
August 3rd, 2014, 20:09
A video I made earlier of my Trap and Cat Shot with the S-3B using AICarriers and the USS Nimitz. My airmanship (IMO) is crappy in this video as I am not used to the FDE feel yet and thus, my approach groove deviations were horrendous and worthy of of being sent to the LSO's Doghouse but at least the video demonstrates just how stable Dino's S-3B is using AICarriers.

Please forgive the video quality it is very raw, unedited, I am literally a newbie to this as of today and am doing an evaluation trying to decide between Bandicam or FRAPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ICZIxQn91E&feature=youtu.be

mjrhealth
August 3rd, 2014, 21:25
Did my first trap with it today, was 500 ft out when carrier decides to turn, quick go around realign got down, actually quiet easy compared to other aircraft.

dhazelgrove
August 3rd, 2014, 22:14
There are two [fltsim.18] entries.
Easy fix.

Dave

Javis
August 3rd, 2014, 22:43
A video I made earlier of my Trap and Cat Shot with the S-3B using AICarriers and the USS Nimitz. My airmanship (IMO) is crappy in this video as I am not used to the FDE feel yet and thus, my approach groove deviations were horrendous and worthy of of being sent to the LSO's Doghouse but at least the video demonstrates just how stable Dino's S-3B is using AICarriers.

Please forgive the video quality it is very raw, unedited, I am literally a newbie to this as of today and am doing an evaluation trying to decide between Bandicam or FRAPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ICZIxQn91E&feature=youtu.be

Hey Storm, may i ask, is this FSX sound i hear in your vid ? Did you record it along with the video ? Or did you add it later ?

I am even less than a newbie at FSX video creation myself, uploaded my first ever video just yesterday... :) Did you have a go at Shadowplay by any chance ?... ( while Shadowplay does record sounds along with video in other sims it doesn't in FSX... atleast AFAIK.... )

Great video and i'd say some great flying as well ! :encouragement:

Thanks!

cheers,
jan

StormILM
August 3rd, 2014, 22:57
Hey Storm, may i ask, is this FSX sound i hear in your vid ? Did you record it along with the video ? Or did you add it later ?

I am even less than a newbie at FSX video creation myself, uploaded my first ever video just yesterday... :) Did you have a go at Shadowplay by any chance ?... ( while Shadowplay does record sounds along with video in other sims it doesn't in FSX... atleast AFAIK.... )

Great video and i'd say some great flying as well ! :encouragement:

Thanks!

cheers,
jan

Jan, thanks for the compliments although not a real Naval Aviator, having received a good bit of tutoring from real ones, I try to stay in parameter in FSX and in this case, I felt like I was riding a bareback & unbroken horse pitching & heaving all over the glideslope! IMO, ugly! Anyhow, at this point I am using the trial version of Bandicam which records the FSX sound in real time and thus far, I did not see any apparent discontinuity between the actual sound versus the video timing. I tried Shadowplay but it would not work since I am using a Radeon HD7770. From all that I have gathered, FRAPS seems to have the best quality video by a slight edge but Bandicam seems to do a good job as well but the best part is, it auto-compresses the video file which isn't so enormous like it would be if recorded by FRAPS. So, I think I am going to go with Bandicam which costs $39 US and use simple free editing tools to trim out the final video. I need to go ahead with TrackIR 5 which will help but also am considering EZDOK which I have seen used with TrackIR 5. Depending on my final research, I will likely buy the latter two at the same time.

Javis
August 3rd, 2014, 23:07
Thanks, Storm! I have a GTX 780 Ti and installed an updated GF Experience along with new drivers. Just for the heck of it i tried Shadowplay and was pleasantly surprised by the quality and easiness to work with it. Bummer that it doesn't seem to want to record FSX engine sound so i'm going to try Bandicam too. (FRAPS doesn't record FSX sound neither, does it ? ) Thanks for the info ! :encouragement:

Cheers,
jan

TuFun
August 3rd, 2014, 23:34
Cool... thanks for the HU!

For recording, I currently using Dxtory. Used FRAPS for a long time and Bandicam for a short time. Since I'm using a ATI card, Shadowplay is not available.

With FRAPS you should have sound. I also use FSRecorder to record my flights.

Dino Cattaneo
August 3rd, 2014, 23:35
All,

thanks for the appreciation and support, as usual!

Yes there is a small mistake in the aicraft.cfg - the NASA repaint will not show because of a typo in fltsim number - it should be [fltsim.19]

As for the carrier Landing behavior, I am quite happy with it. The FDE in general is believable, IMHO, but could be improved in some areas... but since I was happy with the carrier landing behavior, I preferred not to touch it.

The latest launch bar attachpoints (the ones which went into the 0.99 build) seem to work fine on my machine - I have no launch bar detachments.... but I know this is a tricky thing and may not be the same for other users.
In any case, the launch bar should not detach if you do not apply power... so you may want to laucnh with throttles at ide and then apply power - not realistic but should work.

Please let me know you thoughts and comments.

ryanbatc
August 4th, 2014, 05:13
Can't download it.... anyone have the file uploaded somewhere else?

Javis
August 4th, 2014, 05:16
Cool... thanks for the HU!For recording, I currently using Dxtory. Used FRAPS for a long time and Bandicam for a short time. Since I'm using a ATI card, Shadowplay is not available.With FRAPS you should have sound. I also use FSRecorder to record my flights.

Thanks, Ted! See my post in the Dailymotion thread. :)

cheers,
jan

noddy
August 4th, 2014, 06:52
Had the same problem this morning, but have tried it again and no problem.

rsgunner
August 4th, 2014, 07:20
Dino was kind enough to include 3 of my textures in release .99.

I have several more that are available.

If there is interest I will upload them. Please let me know.

Russ

Dino Cattaneo
August 4th, 2014, 07:52
Given that it is not a final release, I have not uploaded the S-3 anywhere else... it is quite a large file (250Mb) hence the Google Drive daily bandwidth limits can be easily overcome.
Situation will be better in the next few days...

ryanbatc
August 4th, 2014, 08:02
Got it now thanks

flaviossa
August 4th, 2014, 08:17
Awesome plane! Thanks again Dino :encouragement:

racartron
August 4th, 2014, 09:15

Russ

Yes! Yes! Oops I forgot to say please:mixed-smiley-010:

Damien
August 4th, 2014, 12:09
Beautiful bird Dino.. I just wanted to mention a few small things

-In the aircraft selection menu, Unlike your aircraft that are categorized by your name, Your S-3 comes up in the unknown list.

-The barometric altimeter and the airspeed indicator (tens place) seem to respond the exact same, no matter if you're climbing, descending or modulating speed.

-The BuNO placard and the number painted on the seat do not match.

Thank you for a beautiful aircraft.. She sounds just like what I remember from my days on the USS Independence and USS Kitty Hawk in the US Navy.

-Damien

simulloyd
August 4th, 2014, 19:27

Russ
Russ,
It would be great to get these lo-viz repaints. Can you please upload them? I am mostly interested in VS-41 in lo-viz.

Keith

doublecool
August 4th, 2014, 21:43
Thank you, Dino for the updated S3... like all your aircraft gets better with every update :applause::applause::applause:

assassinezzio
August 4th, 2014, 22:24

Russ

Very nice work mate, awesome schemes :)

seawing
August 5th, 2014, 05:41
Marvolous aircraft, Dino! Congratulations!! Looking forward to use it as a tanke for the VRS F-18 also (when the tanker is out...).

Tell me, are there blank textures (grey and grey/white without insignia) available for repaints?

Seawing

ryanbatc
August 5th, 2014, 07:15
What kind of perf numbers are people using? What sort of performance and power settings should I use for en route flying? I'm doing FL220 and not very fast...only 335 KTAS with full throttle. (not a very good cruise thrust)

mal998
August 5th, 2014, 08:50
these numbers should get you launched even though the launch bar switch in the cockpit seems to be inoperable. Great job Dino!

[launch_assistance]
launch_bar_pivot = -15.6, 0.0, -1.0
launch_bar_lug = -15.75, 0.0, -1.0

Belay that...if you use these the launch bar will not fully retract so it may be that Dino still has work to do. Looks like I have jumped the gun...sorry.

Victory103
August 5th, 2014, 09:44
What kind of perf numbers are people using? What sort of performance and power settings should I use for en route flying? I'm doing FL220 and not very fast...only 335 KTAS with full throttle. (not a very good cruise thrust)

I would hope Dino has the NATOPS, but shouldn't be a speed demon up high with the TF34's. I do remember down low (200' AGL) being pushed back into the seat after checking out a surface contact. Thrust wise, your numbers would hold true with another airframe powered by those engines, not very good beyond mid-20s.

StormILM
August 5th, 2014, 09:53
From what I have gathered from a former S-3 Pilot here in town and from the NATOPS data, this FDE is in the ballpark. With having TF34 engines like the A-10, the S-3 was always a bit underpowered and quite draggy. The Vne being Mach .79 at 20,000ft, from my understanding at weight and with stores on board the S-3 was sluggish and would hit the wall well below it's ceiling. It's nominal envelope was for long low speed patrol flights at medium to low altitudes.

Dino Cattaneo
August 5th, 2014, 23:32
All,

thanks for the appreciation and support as always!
I am taking note of your comment - will make a "v1.0" release when I'll find the time.
Just quick replies to a couple of comments:
- actually the launch bar works on my system...
- barometric altimeter: good catch. Actually there was a bug in my modeldef.xml (the file that contains the animation description to create the mdls). This also affects the F-14 and the T-45...
- engine performance... yest I have read the Natops, but fine tuning of the engine performance has not been done (I was happy with the carrier Landing behavior and I preferred not to touch it). Still it is using "default" engine modeling - i.e. they will be a little underpowered at higher altitudes.
Afaik, the cruise speed of the S-3 is about 350 kts. Some fine tuning is needed in this area. There are also other areas of the FDE which can be improved, but the behavior is acceptable/reasonable....

Dino Cattaneo
August 5th, 2014, 23:58
...and my surname is Cattaneo :-)

b52bob
August 6th, 2014, 06:09
...and my surname is Cattaneo :-)
And a fine Irish name it is :-)

odourboy
August 6th, 2014, 12:45

Getting the same sort of results. I tweaked the air file ever so slightly to reduce the drag so I could hit the numbers at altitude. Does mean overspeed is possible at sea level, but a fair trade IMHO. Attached should anyone care to try it. (Hope you don't mind Dino - I expect you'll look at this when you're back at it.)

StormILM
August 6th, 2014, 14:36
I think the parasite & induced drag scalar settings are slightly too high. After making the adjustments below I was able to attain roughly the cruise ground speed up to FL310. Try it and see what you guys think.

parasite_drag_scalar = 1.2
induced_drag_scalar = 1.1 // or use 1.2

heywooood
August 10th, 2014, 06:50
Another outstanding model,Dino
I'm sure that when you get back to it in time it will be on par with the
Tomcat and T-45
as it is it is fun around the carrier - said it before and I'll say it
again - I'm huge fan of your work man

fliger747
August 10th, 2014, 08:55
A fun airplane and another great addition to ones deck adventures. A MMO of .79 isn't really too bad considering how straight the wing is. I used to fly with a number of S3 drivers, but alas no longer have access to them.

What I did notice bringing the (sim) aircraft aboard ship was the acceptable range for the AOA was only about 2-3 knots for an on speed indication. The plane is fairly speed stable so one can accomplish this. However the approach speed seemed fairly low at about 112-116 knots for a reasonable landing weight. Perhaps this is accurate as I have not read the NATOPS as yet.

Thanks to Dino yet again!

Regards: Tom