PDA

View Full Version : Using a TV as a monitor?

Navy Chief
August 3rd, 2014, 04:45
I am considering buying a larger monitor (32"), and am looking at the Samsung UN32EH5000 32-Inch LCD TV. Does anyone here use a tv as a monitor? I have read that response and lag time is critical.

I thought perhaps someone who may know more about this could offer me some advice? Thanks! NC

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN32EH5000FXZA-specs

wombat666
August 3rd, 2014, 05:07
I've yet to come across a TV that would satisfy me as a PC monitor.
Unless you go right upmarket and try a 4K screen (I'm unconvinced so far) there might be something there.

Your looking at this.
Samsung UN32EH5000 32-Inch LCD TV
*Resolution 1920 x 1080
*Refresh Rate 120

Probably OK if you sit 10 or 12 feet back.
Be rather coarse otherwise.

I'm (just me, myself) very happy with my 24" BenQ that runs at 144Hz.
:encouragement:

Navy Chief
August 3rd, 2014, 06:11
I've yet to come across a TV that would satisfy me as a PC monitor.
Unless you go right upmarket and try a 4K screen (I'm unconvinced so far) there might be something there.

Your looking at this.
Samsung UN32EH5000 32-Inch LCD TV
*Resolution 1920 x 1080
*Refresh Rate 120

Probably OK if you sit 10 or 12 feet back.
Be rather coarse otherwise.

I'm (just me, myself) very happy with my 24" BenQ that runs at 144Hz.
:encouragement:

Thanks for the advice, Wombat. I may just look for a little larger monitor. Am currently using a 24" but a 27" would be better.

odourboy
August 3rd, 2014, 06:31
I use a Sony Bravia 39" HDTV as a sim monitor and I love it. The screen is positioned abut 40" from my eyepoint. Zoom in VC at 0.8 normally. Instruments and landscape appear close to actual size.

Double J
August 3rd, 2014, 09:54
I tried using a 40" Samsung but the pixels are just to large on a TV so I returned it the next day. Went with a 27" AOC and a 22" ASUS. I'll wait till there is a larger monitor at a reasonable price before switching again.

Anthin
August 3rd, 2014, 13:46
I have a 27" Benq LED and love it. LED has a much
sharper image than an LCD.
Anthin

Navy Chief
August 3rd, 2014, 15:28
Decided to go with this:

http://unbiasedreviews101.com/tag/asus-vs278q-p-ultrafast-1ms-27-inch-led-lit-monitor-review

Anthin
August 3rd, 2014, 15:50
That is a good choice Navy Chief. Good brand also.
You will be suprised at the quality of the LED picture.

By the way I would suggest a freeware program called
Gapa. It sits on your desktop and lookes like a butterfly.
With this simple program you can change gamma, lighting,
etc. Rather than using the monitors controls, This is fast
and simple. Great for flight simming effects.
Cheers
Anthin.

TARPSBird
August 3rd, 2014, 19:04
NC, I checked out the specs for your new monitor, very nice unit.
Be sure to get a HDMI cable if you need one. I had to make another trip back to Best Buy last week because my new LG monitor didn't come with one.

cortomalteseit
August 3rd, 2014, 22:23
My new monitor is this http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-9776
I'm very satisfied of it, the old Samsung is almost died, and with this new Dell my FS graphic is much better in details and colors.

TARPSBird
August 3rd, 2014, 23:28
The 19" CRT monitor that I replaced this past week was a Dell. Good quality piece of gear. It was already well used in an office when I bought it from a lady in Virginia Beach a few years ago. It recently started to flicker and shift colors on start-up so I retired it before it conked out completely. Set up my new LG 21.5" monitor on Friday and I'm still amazed by the sharpness and vivid color compared to my old CRT. FSX looked almost like real life.

mirage3
August 4th, 2014, 00:07
I am considering buying a larger monitor (32"), and am looking at the Samsung UN32EH5000 32-Inch LCD TV. Does anyone here use a tv as a monitor? I have read that response and lag time is critical.

I thought perhaps someone who may know more about this could offer me some advice? Thanks! NC

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN32EH5000FXZA-specs

NC, i am Using a 61" 3D LED Philips TV as monitor connected via HDMI Cable and it works Perfect. FSX Full Screen (Alt+Enter) flight is there on the right proportions. I connect it only when i flightsim. Otherwise, that's my Standard TV.
Cheers

Maj Kong
August 4th, 2014, 03:00
I use a 32" VIZIO LED and find it to be crisp and clear. It is every bit as good as the ASUS 24" that I use for weather, EFB tracking, etc

Navy Chief
August 4th, 2014, 03:46
Thanks for all your advice, guys. As a side note, if you need to buy cables of almost any kind.....go to Monoprice.com. VERY cheap! I have bought from them for many years! NC

edit....should have said "inexpensive" vs "cheap"! Quality is fine!

dougbr2005
August 5th, 2014, 03:00
I have been using a Samsung 27" TV/Monitor and its an absolute dream as a main screen, much better than my previous LG computer monitor and found no issues thus far, plus its not too big to be just a few feet away. The model number is Syncmaster TA550. Good luck with finding your ideal TV/Monitor.

Doug

mal998
August 5th, 2014, 06:25
I've been using a 37 in. Vizio HDTV w/GeForce GTX780 on HDMI for the past couple of years. It runs at 1980x1080x32 @ 60Hertz. Big enough to give me that in-the-cockpit feeling. Lots of different available settings...Looks great!