PDA

View Full Version : T- 37 Tweety Bird News

rdaniell
July 31st, 2014, 18:31
Unfortunately, I don't have any news :banghead:. I was just wondering if anyone else does. :running:

RD

Daveroo
July 31st, 2014, 18:33
now that just wasnt nice...not nice at all.....:banghead:

Naismith
July 31st, 2014, 23:43
http://youtu.be/nGTj8lGCH0U

dhazelgrove
August 1st, 2014, 03:54
http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2014/08/01/ly3o.jpg

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2014/08/01/cZL7K.jpg

Tweet, tweet!!

Dave

Daveroo
August 1st, 2014, 07:19
nice...........

falcon409
August 1st, 2014, 08:27
Just a HU if you haven't come across this in the SOH downloads area:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links_search.php?action=show&sort=d&literal=1&userid=83&page=2

This upgrade along with the A/T-37 model available on flightsim.com makes for a nice sub until such time as a true T-37 ever finds the light of day. Do a search for I. D'Attomo and G. Quai and you should find it. The textures in the upgrade replace those that come with the aircraft as they are much more hi-res than the originals. I have the original FS9 T-37 payware version from many years ago so I just used that sound set. I don't know of any current soundfiles that replicate the hi-pitched whine of the Tweets engines however, so you'll just have to find something that works for you.

nmflyer
August 1st, 2014, 08:33
http://www.avsim.com/pages/0407/T37/T37.htm

glennc
August 1st, 2014, 09:22
T-37? Is that the 3700 pound training device that converts jet fuel to noise? :wavey:

Glenn

falcon409
August 1st, 2014, 09:24
T-37? Is that the 3700 pound training device that converts jet fuel to noise? :wavey:

Glenn
lol, Why yes. . .yes it is, lol

falcon409
August 1st, 2014, 09:29
http://www.avsim.com/pages/0407/T37/T37.htm
Yes that's the one, which as far as I know, is no longer available.

Dumonceau
August 1st, 2014, 09:36
Yes that's the one, which as far as I know, is no longer available.

Oh, if someone would be able to port this to FSX...

We can dream, can't we?! :jump:

Dumonceau

Dumonceau
August 1st, 2014, 12:09
And the good news is, it DOES port over nicely!

Found it in my old FS9 archives. Flight model needs some work, but the VC is damn nice! You don't even need to swap gauges or anything, just add the dsd_skipview gauge and be patient for both engines to spool up.

Dumonceau

falcon409
August 1st, 2014, 13:31
And the good news is, it DOES port over nicely!

Found it in my old FS9 archives. Flight model needs some work, but the VC is damn nice! You don't even need to swap gauges or anything, just add the dsd_skipview gauge and be patient for both engines to spool up.

Dumonceau
That airplane has been worked and reworked over the years since FSX was released in an effort to get it to work and rarely was anyone ever successful. The original startup sequence, which was exactly as the real Tweet was started, would not work in FSX and that seemed to be the biggest hurdle, for some it would work with a workaround, but for many, even the workaround was hit and miss and it became more tedious and aggravating than it was worth. So if you were able to just load it and start it up, we'd be very interested in how that went. . .exactly.

spins_vmfa321
August 1st, 2014, 18:03
If I had the time, I would definitely love to to get back to that model. We always wanted to do the Dragonfly, and with Tacpack, that's even more incentive. The guy that did the FE is still around. Maybe once I get done with the Phantom and Hornet, we can resurrect the ol' Tweet! I still have the gmax model.

Jamal

spins_vmfa321
August 1st, 2014, 18:17
I forgot I had already imported the model in 3DS max, and already had the exterior re-animated. Here's how it looks today. There the same exact models from the FS9 days. If I were to update it, I'd make rounder tires, more detailed gear, rounder intakes and fuselage. Basically up the detail. An AT-37 would require quite a bit of exterior work, and some VC work with the gun reticle and all that.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5590/14619433420_625d5349a9_b.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3845/14806154945_d8be601230_b.jpg

Jamal

rdaniell
August 1st, 2014, 20:02
I forgot I had already imported the model in 3DS max, and already had the exterior re-animated. Here's how it looks today. There the same exact models from the FS9 days. If I were to update it, I'd make rounder tires, more detailed gear, rounder intakes and fuselage. Basically up the detail. An AT-37 would require quite a bit of exterior work, and some VC work with the gun reticle and all that.

Jamal

Thanks Jamal. I'm really glad that I posted this thread.:redfire:

RD

Dumonceau
August 2nd, 2014, 00:21
That airplane has been worked and reworked over the years since FSX was released in an effort to get it to work and rarely was anyone ever successful. The original startup sequence, which was exactly as the real Tweet was started, would not work in FSX and that seemed to be the biggest hurdle, for some it would work with a workaround, but for many, even the workaround was hit and miss and it became more tedious and aggravating than it was worth. So if you were able to just load it and start it up, we'd be very interested in how that went. . .exactly.

Well, all I did was take out the 2d cockpit in the panel.cfg, by adding the dsd_skipview gauge and commenting out all the 2d gauges. That of course means that you'll only be able to start the plane by ctrl+E. But it does work, you just need to exercise (a lot) of patience before both engines spool up.

But it works and isn't too heavy on the frames for a port. And no wizardry or rocket science involved at all! ;)

Dumonceau

falcon409
August 2nd, 2014, 02:08
This post was originally asking about the "skipview" gauge (never heard of it). However, on a whim and spurred on by Dumonceau's post I gathered up my original Flight1 wrapper, registration key and password and reinstalled the Tweet. I only fly in P3D now (1.4 and 2.2) and so I chanced it and moved the installed files into P3D_V2.2. After a few minutes of scratching my head, I tried starting the Tweet using the programmed buttons I have setup on my joystick and throttle. Dumonceau is correct in that you must be patient. . .eventually the engines will begin to spool up. There is nothing clickable in the VC (in V2.2) and many of the gauges either don't work or only partially work. . .the canopy glass requires adding an alpha channel to clear it up. . .the thrust attenuators don't function (they remain open through the entire flight, regardless of speed), the navigational lights are a bit skittish in that depending on the view you happen to be in they may or may not be attached to the aircraft. I did not do anything in the cfg files to remove or change anything beyond the initial installation. Below are some shots on a quick flight from Maui to Ford Island on Oahu.

rdaniell
August 2nd, 2014, 05:08
I forgot I had already imported the model in 3DS max, and already had the exterior re-animated. Here's how it looks today. There the same exact models from the FS9 days. If I were to update it, I'd make rounder tires, more detailed gear, rounder intakes and fuselage. Basically up the detail. An AT-37 would require quite a bit of exterior work, and some VC work with the gun reticle and all that. Jamal

I'm kinda sad that I started this thread.. Why? Well, now I know that the original payware T-37 will port over to FSX. Problem for me is that I lost mine in a computer crash a couple years ago and cannot find the backup cd I made.

Also I find myself in the position of begging.....Jamal...please, please, please, consider completing this model. The T-37 is the only airplane that my father worked on that I don't have in FSX.

Please.....

RD

simulloyd
August 2nd, 2014, 05:35
lol, Why yes. . .yes it is, lol

Seeing the Vance AFB Tweet brings back good memories!

We used to take off weighing just over 6,000 pounds with 2100 of the takeoff weight being fuel. After a 1.5 hour training sortie we would make final full-stop with a low as 400 pounds (min fuel).

dhazelgrove
August 2nd, 2014, 06:20
There's a payware Tweet?

Dave

falcon409
August 2nd, 2014, 06:21
There's a payware Tweet?

Dave
Yes, it was released for FS9 in 2003 and was sold under the Flight1 Wrapper.

Dumonceau
August 2nd, 2014, 06:32
I wonder what would need to be done to make this available to the interested parties without resorting to piracy.

I mean, the thing isn't available anymore and was never developped for FSX... So it wouldn't be like anyone was stealing, right? Or wrong? I'm no lawyer!

I don't condone, nor do I engage in piracy, but I do like to help people.

Maybe a question for the admins of SOH??

Dumonceau

falcon409
August 2nd, 2014, 08:07
I wonder what would need to be done to make this available to the interested parties without resorting to piracy.
I mean, the thing isn't available anymore and was never developped for FSX... So it wouldn't be like anyone was stealing, right? Or wrong? I'm no lawyer!
Dumonceau
Good questions! I know for those who did purchase it at one time or another you can still recover key files and order information from Flight1, but as far as downloading the product. . .it shows on a download page if you search for it, but the links are dead. Jamal was here a few days ago and posted some WIP shots, maybe he could shed some light on this question as he was one of the developers of the original Tweet, wasn't he?

Dumonceau
August 2nd, 2014, 10:27
I've PM'ed Jamal with my question. If we get the "go", I'll make thumbnails for it and will upload it.

Can anyone of the more senior members tell me what has to be done to upload files to SOH please?

Dumonceau

spins_vmfa321
August 2nd, 2014, 11:28
I've PM'ed Jamal with my question. If we get the "go", I'll make thumbnails for it and will upload it.

Can anyone of the more senior members tell me what has to be done to upload files to SOH please?

Dumonceau

Heya guys,
I'm not quite sure how that works with Flight1, since they hold the keys to the copy protection stuff. But I don't mind.

Jamal

Lawman
August 2nd, 2014, 12:00

Dumonceau

Though I sympathize, you unfortunately would be wrong. The intellectual property legally still remains with the creators, so no one is allowed to (re)release it (in any form) without their prior consent. Part of the EULA is to not (re)distribute or modify (any part of) the add-on. As an owner of the FS9-version, I can tell you it would not look that good in FSX in its current form anyway (which is understandable considering its age).

falcon409
August 2nd, 2014, 12:19
Though I sympathize, you unfortunately would be wrong. The intellectual property legally still belongs to the creators, so no one is allowed to (re)release it (in any form) without their prior consent. Part of the EULA is to not (re)distribute (any part of) the add-on. As an owner of the FS9-version, I can tell you it would not look that good in FSX in its current form (which is understandable considering its age).
My initial feeling on this kinda goes along these lines, but only because it involves Flight1 and the fact that they still hold the information from previous buyers and can supply them with key files, certificates of purchase and original order numbers in order to reinstall when needed. Jamal is one of the original designers and has no problem with making it available and although I can't speak for the other member of the team, he probably wouldn't mind it either. . .but again Flight1 would probably not agree.

As for how it looks in the current sims, I posted some pics of a flight I did this AM and while I admit that it is dated in many areas. . .as a whole it still stands up quite well and since we will likely never see another T-37 of better quality any time soon nor a Dragonfly for that matter, the resurrection of this particular model seems to be the likely candidate. Exactly how that happens. . . .well. . . .?

Obie311
August 2nd, 2014, 16:58

Jamal

Wow Jamal that really looks great! What an interesting little Tweety Bird. I remember seeing fledging pilots flying these doing their cross country segments out of Columbus AFB in Mississippi.

Would love to see this revamped to Dino's or Anthony's standard. Freeware or payware it would make no difference if it looked and flew good. I'd cut loose with a few bucks from my wallet to pay for it.

Who's up for the challenge?

Obie

Dumonceau
August 2nd, 2014, 21:56
Heya guys,
I'm not quite sure how that works with Flight1, since they hold the keys to the copy protection stuff. But I don't mind.

Jamal

Thanks for the answers Jamal and Lawman. It was worth a try.

Take care,

Dumonceau

EMatheson
August 3rd, 2014, 00:03
Can't imagine that it'd be a problem with Flight1. They didn't develop the thing and merely act as the distributor that was chosen, so they really haven't any right to complain if you decide to make it freeware. I believe Lionheart did something like that - made his Bugatti collection freeware, even though I believe that there was an F1 installer for it at one point.

Dumonceau
August 3rd, 2014, 00:13
Can't imagine that it'd be a problem with Flight1. They didn't develop the thing and merely act as the distributor that was chosen, so they really haven't any right to complain if you decide to make it freeware. I believe Lionheart did something like that - made his Bugatti collection freeware, even though I believe that there was an F1 installer for it at one point.

I'm not willing to take the risk of running into problems with a firm like Flight1. And I don't want to be banned here for piracy when in fact I was only trying to help people.

In a society, ruled by the "free market" where copyright still is considered a valid legal concept you could run into a lot of problems.

But hey, if you're up to the challenge, be my guest.

Dumonceau

grog swiller
August 3rd, 2014, 05:05
It appears that spins_vmfa321/Jamal is one of the creators of the original work, and has the ability to release at least a partially updated model, or maybe a fully updated model if people are willing to wait a little while.

I have the FS9 version and ported it into FSX. It's a pain to start, and takes so long my ADHD kicks in and I forget what I'm even doing at the computer. Only a few gauges work, and they only partially work. It's just not worth messing with as a port over, when there are so many great models that are FSX native.

EDIT: The gauges in this model are actually built into the VC, so it's not like other port overs where you can take the gauges cabinet from another model that works. You're stuck with the gauges in this model, there is no swapping them out.

falcon409
August 3rd, 2014, 06:15
It appears that spins_vmfa321/Jamal is one of the creators of the original work, and has the ability to release at least a partially updated model, or maybe a fully updated model if people are willing to wait a little while.

I have the FS9 version and ported it into FSX. It's a pain to start, and takes so long my ADHD kicks in and I forget what I'm even doing at the computer. Only a few gauges work, and they only partially work. It's just not worth messing with as a port over, when there are so many great models that are FSX native.

EDIT: The gauges in this model are actually built into the VC, so it's not like other port overs where you can take the gauges cabinet from another model that works. You're stuck with the gauges in this model, there is no swapping them out.
I understand your position, one held by at least a few others who have posted their thoughts in this thread. The T-37B MicroSimulator is not, as it stands in it's current state, nearly up to what we've all come to expect in our aircraft addons (payware or freeware). Yes, it has many problems, as you've noted. . .all valid observations. But there are some airplanes, that for some of us, are simply worth hassling with despite the shortcomings. . .for any number of reasons. Jamal has a full load right now, so any work he does on the T-37B (or any derivative) will not come until those other projects are completed, so a little while, to my thinking would be more in the range of this time next year. I don't care to wait that long, I may be out of flightsim by then. I worked on the Tweet both here in the States and in Nam as the Dragonfly. If I can get it in the air and keep it there. . .I'm flyin' it. . .regardless of any shortcomings. I have to admit that the startup, the last time I tried this airplane (maybe 4 years ago I guess) was a pain in the butt and I eventually gave up on it. For whatever reason, it now works fine, albeit slow, lol. The engine panel is useless, but I have the auto-start and auto-shutdown mapped to buttons on my joystick, those work perfectly, so startup is no problem.

I'm now enjoying the T-37B again, despite all the shortcomings. If Jamal and the other members of the Team decide to release it formally as freeware. . .I'll be one of the first to make it available.

EMatheson
August 3rd, 2014, 09:11
I'm not willing to take the risk of running into problems with a firm like Flight1. And I don't want to be banned here for piracy when in fact I was only trying to help people.

In a society, ruled by the "free market" where copyright still is considered a valid legal concept you could run into a lot of problems.

But hey, if you're up to the challenge, be my guest.

Dumonceau
I'm not condoning piracy in any way. If I was to try to release it, it would be piracy. But the fact that Flight1 is the distributor should have no bearing on whether or not the original creators of the addon decide to release it.

simulloyd
August 3rd, 2014, 10:54
Wow Jamal that really looks great! What an interesting little Tweety Bird. I remember seeing fledging pilots flying these doing their cross country segments out of Columbus AFB in Mississippi.

Would love to see this revamped to Dino's or Anthony's standard. Freeware or payware it would make no difference if it looked and flew good. I'd cut loose with a few bucks from my wallet to pay for it.

Who's up for the challenge?

Obie
Yep, the funny thing I always remember from the cross countries was taxiing to parking and watching people covering their ears in anguish as we got closer. I would see folks pointing my direction with amusement and soon their smiles would turn to frowns and I could almost read their lips screaming, "Hurry up! Turn that thing off now!!!"

falcon409
August 5th, 2014, 10:19
Just for the heck of it.:bump::bump:

Navy Chief
May 9th, 2015, 13:15
Any update information on this? NC