PDA

View Full Version : No Wake USNS Mercy

gray eagle
July 28th, 2014, 10:04
I added the hospital ship USNS Mercy to the Pitching deck menu, as you can see there is no wake. Unlike some of the other ships i.e. USS Nimitz a wake can be seen.
Is the wake baked into the MDL file or what can be done to make one visable like you see for the Patuxent?

SkippyBing
July 28th, 2014, 10:33
I added the hospital ship USNS Mercy to the Pitching deck menu, as you can see there is no wake. Unlike some of the other ships i.e. USS Nimitz a wake can be seen.
Is the wake baked into the MDL file or what can be done to make one visable like you see for the Patuxent?

If it's not in the MDL then it should be possible to add one to the Sim.cfg, I'm 99% sure this is how the default ships do it so just copy from an appropriately sized vessel and adjust the position as required.

gray eagle
July 28th, 2014, 14:31
It has a sim config file with it. I was adding this ship to the Menu of that new pitching deck program. The boat shows up and moves but no wake. Some boats will make one when they move
and some don't. This was an AI version of the Mercy. In the pics above, the two ship are upderway (Moving) at about 25 knots. You would not know that as there is no wake visible yet, it
is moving alongside the Patuxent. The Pax is a driveable boat.

PRB
July 28th, 2014, 15:04
I've noticed this as well. I've added the Yanco Akagi and Lexington to the pitching deck file, and they show no wakes, but do when displayed with AICarriers.

gray eagle
July 28th, 2014, 15:32
I've noticed this as well. I've added the Yanco Akagi and Lexington to the pitching deck file, and they show no wakes, but do when displayed with AICarriers.

Amen to that. The Spruance shows a wake when added to the pitching deck menu.

BTW: I've also notice that sometimes, the pitching deck menu will pop open then after I have loaded FSX, I'll connect then pick my ship of choice from the pitching deck menu and sometimes
the menu will not load the boat or flat out quit and close. I've experimented with different techniques, loading FSX first then Pitching deck or visa versa. I get mixed results with the pitching deck
menu, it will sometimes display last ship loaded and not allow me to choose another. just wierd stuff here. :dizzy:

But, All in all it's a neat program if only a few bugs (at least on my end) get sorted. :adoration:

PRB
July 28th, 2014, 16:08
Here is the WW-II Japanese destroyer Nowake...

I'm sorry!! I just found myself powerless to resist! This is the Kagero, by Erwin Welker. It is a fine ship, and pilotable in FSX, and very nicely done. One of the ships of this class was called Nowaki, or, in many reputable references on the subject, Nowake...

Ok, I'll leave now. I'm sure Orion will meet this minor challenge, and make what is even now a fantastic add on for us flying seafarers out there even better...

orionll
July 28th, 2014, 16:41
Pitching Deck treats each boat the same, so whether a boat has a wake or not depends on the boat itself. I'd try what SkippyBing suggested (adding the default wake effect in the sim.cfg file), as it's a known good configuration.

gray eagle: Can you provide exact step by step instructions to reproduce your errors, along with your PitchingDeck.xml and any locations XML files you've made? Without more specific information, I can't troubleshoot your problem.

gray eagle
July 29th, 2014, 10:59
Okay... here are some pics explaining what I am experiencing with pitching deck. I wrote note on some of the pics to explain the issues.

gray eagle
July 29th, 2014, 11:02
Pitching deck issues cont'd.

more pics.

This shows all avail presets avail before it starts looking like the above Pics.

BTW, here is the sim.cfg for the USNS Mercy that shows no wake. Look in ^ to see the mercy that I added to pitching deck and had no wake.
[FLTSIM.0]
TITLE=USS_DD_963_SPRUANCE
MODEL=
TEXTURE=1

[GENERAL]
CATEGORY=BOAT

[CONTACT_POINTS]
STATIC_PITCH=0.0 //DEGREES, PITCH WHEN AT REST ON THE GROUND (+=UP, -=DN)
STATIC_CG_HEIGHT=0.0 //FEET, ALTITUDE OF CG WHEN AT REST ON THE GROUND

[DESIGNSPECS]
MAX_SPEED_MPH = 50
ACCELERATION_CONSTANTS = 0.07, 0.07 //TIME CONSTANT (EFFECTS RESPONSIVENESS), AND MAX ACCELERATION (GS)
DECELERATION_CONSTANTS = 0.05, 0.05 //TIME CONSTANT (EFFECTS RESPONSIVENESS), AND MAX ACCELERATION (GS)
STERNPOSITION =33

[EFFECTS]
WAKE =FX_WAKE_L
WATER=FX_WAVES

It looks like the sim.cfg calls for a wake yet no wake. Hummmm. A bit of a conundrum.

orionll
July 29th, 2014, 11:42
There seem to be some drawing issues when Pitching Deck is on top of FSX. To ensure the program appears correctly, make sure the windows don't overlap (i.e. minimize FSX or resize the window).

You say you copied the sim.cfg for the USNS Mercy, though the title is "USS_DD_963_SPRUANCE". This is the same title that appears in the Pitching Deck screenshot where you claim the program created the wrong boat. Pitching Deck only knows boats by their title (as specified in the sim.cfg), not by their visual model. Ensure you're using the correct title for the boat you want to create.

It appears that the default boats (along with Javier's Nimitz) have their wakes specified in the model itself rather than the sim.cfg file. Boats with wakes only specified in their sim.cfg may not work properly.

gray eagle
July 29th, 2014, 12:31
There seem to be some drawing issues when Pitching Deck is on top of FSX. To ensure the program appears correctly, make sure the windows don't overlap (i.e. minimize FSX or resize the window).

You say you copied the sim.cfg for the USNS Mercy, though the title is "USS_DD_963_SPRUANCE". This is the same title that appears in the Pitching Deck screenshot where you claim the program created the wrong boat. Pitching Deck only knows boats by their title (as specified in the sim.cfg), not by their visual model. Ensure you're using the correct title for the boat you want to create.

It appears that the default boats (along with Javier's Nimitz) have their wakes specified in the model itself rather than the sim.cfg file. Boats with wakes only specified in their sim.cfg may not work properly.

No no, I have Specific ship titles for the ships I want. The Sim config I posted is for the mercy - there is a wake issue, and it was suggested to create one (one was already created just for the
mercy and so... no wake. Again, the mercy has it OWN sim.cfg file so I did not have to use some other one.

<!--?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?-->
<locations>
<location name="San Diego USS PATUXENT">
<title>USNS_PATUXENT</title>
I have not "cross wired" anything as you are suggesting. At least I don't believe I have.</location></locations> Having said that and with my xml show, Pitching deck will jumble up the presets bar with only 2
choices, now on initial use, I can see all the entries in the presets after that game is over dude and it gets all tangled up and I have to reload the exe again and start over.
Again, the Mercy has it's own sim.cfg file so I don't need to "borrow" a sim.cfg from another boat.

orionll
July 29th, 2014, 13:05
No no, I have Specific ship titles for the ships I want. The Sim config I posted is for the mercy [...] Again, the mercy has it OWN sim.cfg file so I did not have to use some other one. [...] I have not "cross wired" anything as you are suggesting. At least I don't believe I have. [...] Again, the Mercy has it's own sim.cfg file so I don't need to "borrow" a sim.cfg from another boat.

The preset you made named "San Diego USS Spruance" uses the title from the Mercy sim.cfg that you posted.

there is a wake issue

Wakes only work for boats that specify the wake in model itself, not the sim.cfg. Boats such as the default Acceleration carrier or Javier Fernandez's Nimitz should have wakes as expected. As an end user, there is nothing you can do about this. As the program developer, there is nothing I can do about it; it depends on the boat's model.

Having said that and with my xml show, Pitching deck will jumble up the presets bar with only 2 choices, now on initial use, I can see all the entries in the presets after that game is over dude and it gets all tangled up and I have to reload the exe again and start over.

Make sure that the Pitching Deck window and FSX window do not overlap. Minimize FSX before using Pitching Deck if necessary.

Butcherbird17
July 29th, 2014, 13:18
The reason that the Spruance is showing is because you just copied the whole sim.cfg to the
USNS Mercy folder. If the Mercy is a drivable ship then it comes with a aircraft.cfg file, AI ships
have a sim.cfg file. If its a player ship you need to copy over a sim.cfg file and then replace the
Title= line from the aircraft.cfg to the sim.cfg.

[FLTSIM.0]
TITLE=USS_DD_963_SPRUANCE <<<<<<replace to="" match
REPLACE
MODEL=
TEXTURE=1

As Paul posted, some AI ships wakes will not show in the sim no mater what fx file you use.
You can replace the effects line in the sim.cfg:

[EFFECTS]
WAKE =FX_WAKE_L <<<<<<<
WATER=FX_WAVES

with another wake effect to see if it does show.
Hope this helps.

Joe</replace>

gray eagle
July 29th, 2014, 13:25
The reason that the Spruance is showing is because you just copied the whole sim.cfg to the
USNS Mercy folder. If the Mercy is a drivable ship then it comes with a aircraft.cfg file, AI ships
have a sim.cfg file. If its a player ship you need to copy over a sim.cfg file and then replace the
Title= line from the aircraft.cfg to the sim.cfg.

[FLTSIM.0]
TITLE=USS_DD_963_SPRUANCE <<<<<<replace to="" match
REPLACE
MODEL=
TEXTURE=1

As Paul posted, some AI ships wakes will not show in the sim no mater what fx file you use.
You can replace the effects line in the sim.cfg:

[EFFECTS]
WAKE =FX_WAKE_L <<<<<<<
WATER=FX_WAVES

with another wake effect to see if it does show.
Hope this helps.

Joe</replace>

Mercy is an AI boat. Not driveable.
It has its own sim.cfg.
here is mercy's sim.cfg:

[fltsim.0]
title=mercy
model=
texture=

========================================
[General]
category=Boat

[contact_points]
static_pitch=0.0 //degrees, pitch when at rest on the ground (+=Up, -=Dn)
static_cg_height=0.00 //feet, altitude of CG when at rest on the ground

[DesignSpecs]
max_speed_mph = 40
acceleration_constants = 0.5, 0.4 //Time constant (effects responsiveness), and max acceleration (Gs)
deceleration_constants = 0.3, 0.3 //Time constant (effects responsiveness), and max acceleration (Gs)
SternPosition = 90

[Effects]
wake = fx_wake_xl
water=fx_spray

gray eagle
July 29th, 2014, 13:41
Okay, the proper sim.cfg i.e. mercy's sim.cfg is with the mercy folders. Still no wake. Maybe this is because it is a AI boat. But the wake file that is called on by the sim.cfg is common to other ship
sim.cfg and I have it in my effects forder.

go figure

orionll
July 29th, 2014, 13:44
Okay, the proper sim.cfg i.e. mercy's sim.cfg is with the mercy folders. Still no wake. Maybe this is because it is a AI boat. But the wake file that is called on by the sim.cfg is common to other ship
sim.cfg and I have it in my effects forder.

Did you read either my prior posts? Wakes specified in the sim.cfg do not show when the boat is created using Pitching Deck. The wake must be specified in the model file. This is not something you or I can fix; it's something model maker must do.

gray eagle
July 29th, 2014, 14:26
Did you read either my prior posts? Wakes specified in the sim.cfg do not show when the boat is created using Pitching Deck. The wake must be specified in the model file. This is not something you or I can fix; it's something model maker must do.

Guess not. Oh well. Dem's de grits.....

napamule
July 30th, 2014, 14:59
But if it IS specified in the model, but you don't have that particular EFFECT file i(ie: fx_wake_xl) in your effects folder, then no wake will show.
Chuck B
Napamule

gray eagle
July 31st, 2014, 07:32
But if it IS specified in the model, but you don't have that particular EFFECT file i(ie: fx_wake_xl) in your effects folder, then no wake will show.
Chuck B
Napamule

"But" and "if" I see here. How can I determine what effect file is specified in the model? Is that possible?
I guess I have just accepted the fact that it is what it is and just moved on however, I would be curious
to know.

Essex
July 31st, 2014, 10:00
How can I determine what effect file is specified in the model? Is that possible?

You can view and add effects using Model Converter X.

gray eagle
July 31st, 2014, 11:14
Apparently the author of the mercy is registered here and I found his original blog under FS2004 (jagl04)

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?38383-USNS-Mercy-for-FS2004&p=897984#post897984

So I have asked him if it ever did have a wake or would he add one to it.

jagl04
August 4th, 2014, 10:55
Hi, gray eagle. I havenīt tested pitching deck still and so I have not noticed any problem with attached effects with none of my ships.
It is easy to attach an effect to any model using modelconverterX. If you do not know how to do that I will do it for you, please send me a PM with your email and give me some time to do it.
Best regards

orionll
August 4th, 2014, 11:26
jagl04: The problem isn't with the sim.cfg based wake on your ship, but rather that effects no longer appear while the boat is in slew. It is necessary to put the boat into slew mode in order for the deck motion to work correctly, but this has the adverse side effect of preventing sim.cfg based wake effects from appearing.

jagl04
August 4th, 2014, 12:05
Thanks Orionll. What I will do for GrayEagle is to add the wake effect to the mdl file. Am I right?

orionll
August 4th, 2014, 12:23
Yes, that should resolve it. Thanks!

gray eagle
August 4th, 2014, 13:12
Yes, that should resolve it. Thanks!

Thank you for explaining the situation. Appreciate it. :encouragement: