PDA

View Full Version : About Talon

Hiede
July 28th, 2014, 09:26
Many of you may not know that Talon was one of the responders to he attack on the WTC on 9/11/2001.He doesn't talk much about it but sometimes you can see how much it effected him.He has got some very serious respiratory problems since 2002 because of it and has been in the hospital several times over the yeads.He has to be very careful in what physical activities he does.He has been a liitle under the weather for about 2 weeks now but nothing serious and he has it under control.

If you click on the link below you will see more and more first respnders are having problems.Thankfully there is a fund to help these people who gave their all to save lives and search for survivors.Most people don't realize this and some just don't think about the attack anymore.

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/07/28/scary-statistic-about-ground-zero-workers/20937869/?icid=maing-grid7%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl17%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D507741
Hiede

Worthless
July 28th, 2014, 11:36
Thanks Hiede. Thanks to Talon too. I fear that you are right concerning people and memories.

miamieagle
July 28th, 2014, 11:47
Wishing him well. :wavey:

Rami
July 28th, 2014, 11:50
Heide,

Thanks for letting us know, and I hope Al feels better. It's part of my job to make sure that the legacy and lessons get passed on to my students...but I am now teaching a generation of students who, by 2015-2016, will have been born right around the attack, and have no concept of life before then. It's tough to paint a picture of that reality if you've never known it.

When I tell the students where I was and what I was doing when the Challenger blew up, or the tanks in Tiananmen Square, the Berlin Wall being torn down, and the breakup of the Soviet Union, they look at me like I have four heads.

(In reality, I only have three...lol :wiggle:)

UncleTgt
July 28th, 2014, 11:55
Best wishes to Al, hope he's feeling better soon.

And a timely reminder of one of those few days that gets seared into the memory, never to be forgotten.

TheBookie
July 28th, 2014, 14:56
Hope he has a fast recovery and takes it easy for a while.

TheBookie

SPman
July 28th, 2014, 17:24
Here's hoping he gets over this bout of trouble OK.
The first responders have generally had a hard time of it, since the event - the amount of toxic material in the air was massive, and most of them have suffered (or died), since then. Initially with little or no help from authorities. The treatment of those first responders is another sour taste in the mouth of those with feelings, to come out of the whole 9/11 scenario.

Take it easy old fella!

Hiede
July 28th, 2014, 19:13
We were supposed to sail to Bora Bora last Monday but decided to head for home instead. We are 2 days from home.When we get there we will take Talon to the hospital just o be on the safe side.We have contacted the Coast Guard and they will send a helicopter in case of an emergency.He is holding his own but has problems with his breathing. We are keeping an eye on him 24/7.

Hiede

kelticheart
July 29th, 2014, 03:39
...the amount of toxic material in the air was massive, and most of them have suffered (or died), since then. Initially with little or no help from authorities. The treatment of those first responders is another sour taste in the mouth of those with feelings, to come out of the whole 9/11 scenario....

Considering when the WTC was built in the early 1960's, I bet there were at least tons of asbestos dust floating in the air. Here, back then, it was used everywhere as a regular building material, used both as an insulating agent and on roofs, no one knew at the time what kind of a health hazard it posed.

Not only it was used in private buildings, it was also used in public buildings, schools, hospitals, all kind of industrial buildings and infrastructures, all of modern cowsheds built during those years were roofed with it. It was regarded as a cheap, almost eternal material. A common name brand here for large roofing panels back then, made out of asbestos, was "Eternit"..... imagine how lightly it was taken!

Reclamation and cleanup of asbestos is still going on to date here, it will take several years before it will all be removed and it will cease to be a threat to public health. Its removal it's also very expensive and it requires tons of environmental authorisations to boot. The usual bureaucracy crap, when it would be needed to act fast instead, without looking into one's wallet first!

I hope it's not the case with Talon, but his breathing ailment described by Hiede doesn't sound nice to me. I didn't know he is also among the 9/11 heroes. I am glad I know now, it goes to complete a picture of a person I came to like over all of these years of SOH membership: I am proud to be among his SOH friends.
Spman's comments remind me also of all the unsung heroes every country has. It's so sad and upsetting that most of them are so quickly forgotten, while so-called "negative heroes" are instead looked upon with sympathy, even greeted with success at times by our modern society. Yech!

Talon, I am so very sorry to read this thread, I was not aware either of your health problems. I send all of my best wishes for a speedy recovery and I'll pray for you.

Your friend,
Stefano

ElsnerMarkus
July 29th, 2014, 03:54
Auch von meiner Seite Beste Wünsche und gute Besserung. Ich habe selbst eine Cousine am 11 September verloren. :(

Rami
July 29th, 2014, 04:59
Heide,

Please tell Al that he is in my thoughts and prayers. My father died from COPD, (though he only smoked a pipe briefly in college) and he once described how laborous every breath was. His words were "it's like trying to breathe through a straw."

I can imagine that's similar to what Al is going through right now...every breath is a struggle.

highpockets
July 29th, 2014, 06:02
Hopefully he is still breathing that clean, fresh Hawaiian air! :wavey:

Shadow Wolf 07
July 29th, 2014, 11:50
As Rami said, please pass on to Al that he's in my thoughts and prayers too.

SPman
July 29th, 2014, 16:50
Considering when the WTC was built in the early 1960's, I bet there were at least tons of asbestos dust floating in the air. Here, back then, it was used everywhere as a regular building material, used both as an insulating agent and on roofs, no one knew at the time what kind of a health hazard it posed......................

Talon, I am so very sorry to read this thread, I was not aware either of your health problems. I send all of my best wishes for a speedy recovery and I'll pray for you.

Your friend,
Stefano
The owners were facing a $1-2 BILLION bill to clean out all the asbestos, before 9-11.

Same in Australia - known under the tradename "Fibrolite" - our house, built in 1919 was clad, inside and out, with Fibrolite sheeting! The outside and most of the inside has been (carefully) replaced. (It's handy being a trained Carpenter (among other professions) - or not, sometimes....), but the legacy still lingers on in Australia as well.

I, also was not aware of Talons problems - no wonder he took to sea.

Sarg Willy
July 29th, 2014, 20:29
Thanks Heide , got Al on the prayer list ,

Hiede
July 30th, 2014, 19:10
We made it home,Talon is now in the hospital and his doctor is there to do some tests. I will know more later tomorrow.

Hiede

txnetcop
July 30th, 2014, 19:31
I will post a need for prayers for Al at our church this week. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!!
Ted

stuart277
August 1st, 2014, 00:51
Hello Hiede
Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Talon has helped and encouraged me (and many other people) with CFS2, as well as being a major contributor to CFS2 mods.
I had no idea of his background (regarding the WTC).
Give my best wishes to Al.
All the best to you all.
Cheers
Stuart

highpockets
August 1st, 2014, 13:38
Hello Hiede
Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Talon has helped and encouraged me (and many other people) with CFS2, as well as being a major contributor to CFS2 mods.
I had no idea of his background (regarding the WTC).
Give my best wishes to Al.
All the best to you all.
Cheers
Stuart

Amen for my part as well!

Captain Kurt
August 2nd, 2014, 09:31
Al,

Please, get better. I'll say a heartfelt prayer for you.

Kurt

Fibber
August 4th, 2014, 05:52
......please tell Talon that he CAN'T get sick. He has more Korean missions to do! Seriously, I have never met him but can empathize, pray, and wish the best for him.
As a retired first responder,who had just retired at the time, I have many friends how are now living with the situation like Talon. It is day by day sometimes. Living, and working, in NY I had many friends who perished that day along with some officers I knew and some I helped train for their jobs. Horror stories abound of that day.
Many believe it was just the asbestos used in the buildings. It is not the only culprit. One of the main culprits also appears to be the pulverised concrete. It appearently is causing sciliaosis(sp) of the lungs of some. Think of the warnings on bags of concrete that you buy at the home stores. READ the warnings on them!
I will try to attach photos of the horrible day for those who don't remember. 911 NEVER FORGET!!!!!!!!!!! 1089310893

Shadow Wolf 07
August 4th, 2014, 10:01
According to the Skype message service, this is his birthday. Happy birthday Al and many happy returns. :applause: :wavey:

Hiede
August 4th, 2014, 19:37
Yes today is his birthday and we will celebrate it when he gets out.

His lungs are clearing and he is breathing better.If all goes well he will be home by the weekend but will have to take it easy.

Fibber I lost my husband in December 2002 because of 9/11,he was also Talon's brotheer.They were both there helping.

We could see the WTC from where we lived at the time and saw the second plane hit.

Hiede

HouseHobbit
August 4th, 2014, 20:00
Praying for Al..
May he recover quickly and completely. Amen!!

Maxstuka
August 5th, 2014, 01:10
I read a while ago that a firefighter or technical measuring devices detected with high radiation and then bluish lights that were camouflaged in any way with the decoration of blue reflectors.

I do not save5 the link but Here is It.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCT3ImoyemU

this is strange, because according that I read ,many firefighters worked with gas and dust masks even these were also affected, could have other causes besides the dust should formally investigate.

wish you a speedy recovery Talon

Fibber
August 5th, 2014, 05:49
....please accept my most heartfelt condolences on your past husband and give my most hearty best wishes to Talon for a speedy recovery.
Max, don't believe everything you see on "Youtube". Example is of the side bar on the link you posted, Those towers were NOT built as reactor towers. I worked around there when they were going up and had ironworker friends who worked in/on the towers and they were always designed as office towers.
As regards the masks, the masks that were issued (when they finally were) were the common paper masks. Totally useless in that type of environ.and gas masks were never designed for those type of particulars and also useless. Even so, try putting one on and doing any sort of strenuous work. You will be sucking for air in no time at all. That is what happend, many had to remove the masks to even breathe and sucked in the contaminated air.
As for "hot spots" the fires burned for days/weeks under "the pile".

Lets not deviate from the main crux of this post and leave that for Cantelos The main thing here is Talons health. GET WELL Talon!!!!

voyager
August 5th, 2014, 11:50
Breathe easy, Talon.

voyager

Maxstuka
August 5th, 2014, 15:02
....please accept my most heartfelt condolences on your past husband and give my most hearty best wishes to Talon for a speedy recovery.

Max, don't believe everything you see on "Youtube". Example is of the side bar on the link you posted, Those towers were NOT built as reactor towers. I worked around there when they were going up and had ironworker friends who worked in/on the towers and they were always designed as office towers.

As regards the masks, the masks that were issued (when they finally were) were the common paper masks. Totally useless in that type of environ.and gas masks were never designed for those type of particulars and also useless. Even so, try putting one on and doing any sort of strenuous work. You will be sucking for air in no time at all. That is what happened, many had to remove the masks to even breathe and sucked in the contaminated air.

As for "hot spots" the fires burned for days/weeks under "the pile".

Lets not deviate from the main crux of this post and leave that for Cantelos The main thing here is Talons health. GET WELL Talon!!!!

I do not believe in everything that I see on YouTube, there are a stupid comerce about disinformation, but I do not believe in the United States officially said about the causes of all workers and firefighters affected, and all I'm saying is that out of respect for the people affected, should study any doubt or anomaly found around the event, I'm talking about the blue lights were filmed and photographed up from the rubble, and radiation found in testings and that no official explanation has been given about its.

I understand what you are talking about the basic masks, but the police and firefighters had some gas and dust masks with filters, masks of professional service.

Rami
August 5th, 2014, 15:24
Hey guys,

Let's keep this focused on Al. He needs prayers right now with his health, as well as a hurricane and tropical storm headed his way. :wavey:

I hope you feel better, Talon. And thanks to Hiede for the updates.

kelticheart
August 6th, 2014, 02:06
Max, don't believe everything you see on "Youtube"....

I figured that much. Especially when I started reading the words "Zionist conspiracy" and such. Simply turned youTube page off and carried on.

HEAR!HEAR!HEAR! Couldn't agree more. Please, Hiede (....ahem, Rami, please check your spelling.....) let me join Fibber in offering my condolences for the loss of your husband and to Talon as well, for the loss of his brother. What a grievous tragedy. :dread:

Stefano

Rami
August 6th, 2014, 04:22
I figured that much. Especially when I started reading the words "Zionist conspiracy" and such. Simply turned youTube page off and carried on.

(....ahem, Rami, please check your spelling.....)

Oops. Well, I feel sheepish...:sheep:

Hiede
August 6th, 2014, 12:40
Hey guys,

Let's keep this focused on Al. He needs prayers right now with his health, as well as a hurricane and tropical storm headed his way. :wavey:

I hope you feel better, Talon. And thanks to Hiede for the updates.

Because of the 2 storms they are letting Al come home today.

Hurricane Iselle, was a Category 4 and now a Category 1, is expected Thursday night into Friday. We expect flash flooding, mud slides, and power outages. The Big Island (Hawaii) is going to get hit the hardest if it stays on course. It will be south southeast of us. (Maui )

Hurricane Julio will follow over the weekend. Julio was a tropical storm and has gained strength and is now a Category 1 hurricane.

Since we came home early from out trip we have plenty of supplies. We have been bringing them from the boat to the house since we got home. We have tested our generator and the backup one and they work fine.

Since we live on high ground the flooding and mud slides shouldn't effect us.

Flash flooding a few years ago burst two dams on Kauai.

Going to pick up Talon now and will probably take me about three hours.

Hiede

TheBookie
August 7th, 2014, 19:13
I heard 2 hurricanes in the span of 3 or 4 days and they had an 4.5 earthquake this morning.

kelticheart
August 7th, 2014, 23:17
I heard 2 hurricanes in the span of 3 or 4 days and they had an 4.5 earthquake this morning.

Holy s........! :icon_eek: :frown-new:

Hiede, are you allright over there?

Stefano

Hiede
August 8th, 2014, 20:40
Holy s........! :icon_eek: :frown-new:

Hiede, are you allright over there?

Stefano

We are fine. The earthquake was by the Big Island which is about a 100 miles away.

Hurricane Iselle was down graded to a tropical storm and the Big Island took the brunt of the storm. 2 communities there lost power.Because of the mountains Iselle lingered there and they got most of the rain.I heard they got 4 inches in an hour.We were lucky because the storm passed south of us and wasn't as potent.

Hurricane Julio was a cat 3 hurricane and is now down graded and is expected to lose more force the next few days.If it stays on track it will pass 150 to 200 miles north of us.

Hiede

Talon
August 13th, 2014, 18:23
Thanks to the ones that wished me well and your prayers,it's much appreciated.I'm just going to be taking it easy for awhile and sit outside in my rocking chair with my corn cob bubble pipe.I will pop the bubbles with my finger to keep myself amused.

Oops. Well, I feel sheepish...:sheep:

Special message for Rami.

BAAAA - BAAAA

kelticheart
August 14th, 2014, 00:00
Thanks to the ones that wished me well and your prayers,it's much appreciated.I'm just going to be taking it easy for awhile and sit outside in my rocking chair with my corn cob bubble pipe.I will pop the bubbles with my finger to keep myself amused.

Hey, nice to read from you! :wavey:

Do take it easy, don't blow too hard in that pipe, though!

Special message for Rami.

BAAAA - BAAAA

.....Black Sheep? :wiggle:

Cheers!
KH :ernaehrung004:

highpockets
August 14th, 2014, 07:03
Sounds like a great pastime for now! What is the view from the rocking chair? Ocean, sea birds, or green mountains--
or all the above? :encouragement:

Fibber
August 14th, 2014, 08:44
........I'm forever blowing bubbles............" Just make sure that you don't get yourself a hounddog and start playing a banjo to go with that rocker! Now when we ask Hiede where is Talon she might say "he is off his rocker". That might cause some confusion around here!!!!
Seriously though, get better!!!!!!!!!!!:wavey:

Rami
August 14th, 2014, 17:17
Talon,

Thanks for keeping us updated...best wishes as you mend. :mixed-smiley-010:

Captain Kurt
August 15th, 2014, 12:14
Welcome back Talon :encouragement:

CrisGer
August 18th, 2014, 16:27
Wow thanks Hiede for keeping the communcations coming i wondered why i hadnt heard from Talon in a while, i knew you all were on a cruise. He and I talked a while ago. I am very glad he got home safe and was well taken care of, glad you are there to help.

Talon you better behave and rest up ...no leaping around at high speed.

hope you feel better fast.

Maxstuka
August 21st, 2014, 17:03

Hi Kelticheart!.

I think that YouTube is a way of free expression, I think you can not discredit something by a one only video. It provides enormous material ,and conspiracies are a minority compared to all other areas, because if that matter TV has become a business of information and is even worse.

I do not know if exist or not a "Zionist conspiracy".But israel is the favorite in any way! , then I ask one thing, that the tv does not respond me.
I would appreciate if someone could explain well what is the functionality of AIPAC,because my European friends do not believe that is beneficial to the congress.It's really very curious American and German governments has special support for Israel for over 50 years. Considering for example that they have left Greece,been abandoned and have dropped to pieces at present,greeke people lost the mid of (Cyprus)!, with the enormous contribution he made to Occident and mankind.

kwb737
August 21st, 2014, 19:51
Hi Kelticheart!.

I think that YouTube is a way of free expression, I think you can not discredit something by a one only video. It provides enormous material ,and conspiracies are a minority compared to all other areas, because if that matter TV has become a business of information and is even worse.

I do not know if exist or not a "Zionist conspiracy".But israel is the favorite in any way! , then I ask one thing, that the tv does not respond me.
I would appreciate if someone could explain well what is the functionality of AIPAC,because my European friends do not believe that is beneficial to the congress.It's really very curious American and German governments has special support for Israel for over 50 years. Considering for example that they have left Greece,been abandoned and have dropped to pieces at present,greeke people lost the mid of (Cyprus)!, with the enormous contribution he made to Occident and mankind.

"Lets not deviate from the main crux of this post and leave that for Cantelos The main thing here is Talons health. GET WELL Talon!!!!" :)