PDA

View Full Version : Runtime error message with Advanced Info

Archive1
July 22nd, 2014, 20:47
Have been updating my Mediterranean version of CFS2 for the Western Desert. Generally done but when I test it with a Mission and click on the Advanced Infor...Map...selection, everything crashes with a "Runtime error..." message. Things work just fine for the flying part (free flight, quick combat, flying a mission, etc). I have checked the Airbase file which is clean. Am at a loss. What would cause this?

misson
July 23rd, 2014, 11:53
Hi Archive 1 Usualy I have all type of disorders, and I had all class of error messages , specially refered to scenerys , but that never happened to me before!

I just reply to give u a idea of so complex seems to me ur problem. sorry.

I have the Idea that runtime errors are with .exe files and sometimes is caused for something outer of the program, but surelly may i´m wrong.

I´ll be following this thread.

Good luck

The B24 Guy
July 24th, 2014, 09:47
Hi Archive1,

Most likely the mission has an airbase entry that is not in your airbases.dat file.
You will need to match up the airbase data found in the mission with the airbase.dat file.

Hope this helps,
B24 Guy

Archive1
July 24th, 2014, 21:03
B24:
Will look at that.
Tried again last night using the Master airbase list provided with the download, and the maps/advanced info failed, but I did not get a runtime error message. So it seems to me that there certainly is some disconnect between the airbase call from the mission and the airbase.dat file. I propose trying several missions, recording the airbase needed, checking against the airbase.dat and see what happens. Clumsy, but don't know what else to do. Then again the Advanced info problem may reside in the complicated conflicts between the GSL, Achim's airbase files, old installed scenery files on startup and all that bit (of course, nothing to do with the runtime error...which seems to have gone away). Need to dig some more.

I do have another related question: the master airbase file in the download is a .txt file but the one in the program is a .dat file. Can they really be replaced with no impact on the mission program? Yeah, both are in notepad but with different extensions. Does the extension really make no difference?
Thanks for the patience.
Archive1

The B24 Guy
July 25th, 2014, 02:35
Hi Archive1,

I would save your current Airbase.dat file in another location. Then copy the new Airbase.txt file into the info folder and rename it to Airbase.dat.
That should fix it.

Regards,
B24 Guy

Archive1
July 25th, 2014, 20:49
B24:
Hmmm, just renaming the file extension from .txt to .dat will work? Never thought of that. I would expect any code to know the difference between the substance and coding of a txt file and a dat file. Seems to me that one can easily open and read a .txt file with notepad, but one cannot do that with a .dat file.
But my ignorance is blissfully alive and well, so will fade away.

I do find doing an upgrade to a new version of some of the established campaigns a real challenge.
especially trying to get the Advanced Info to work - it rarely does after upgrading a campaign what with all the GSL, Scenedb, Scenery library and revised Airbase.dat conflicts.
Thanks for the response.
-Archive1-