PDA

View Full Version : DX10 for XP

Chuck_Jodry-VJPL
January 23rd, 2009, 10:35
http://www.techmixer.com/download-directx-10-for-windows-xp/

I recieved a note in my Email box from a really happy user of this software
saying his FPS jumped bigtime after install and thought this might be good news for XP users

Drake
January 23rd, 2009, 11:05
You would think after the whole Vista debacle and Win7 looming that MS would be nice and just release DX10 for XP. It's already been proven to work.

LCBORDEN
January 23rd, 2009, 12:01
Thanks Chuck, anything that will help me Ol' Puter is a God send. Thanks again for the HU

ol' Jarhead:faint:

srgalahad
January 23rd, 2009, 12:56
I don't know...
It looks like a cludge... some .dll files to be shoehorned into XP, but the telling thing from my point of view is that the first reply to the site was in June 2007 and less than a year later (May 26, 2008) there was a post to this effect:

“It is with great sadness that I announce the closing of Falling Leaf Systems, LLC. We set out over a year ago to provide users of both “old and unsupported” as well as “alternative” Operating Systems the ability to run the latest games for the PC. Unfortunately, Falling Leaf Systems was unable to achieve that goal.”

IMHO, Reading the more intelligent replys on the thread it seemed like a pain, a risk, and mostly unsuccessful.

As with most 'tweaks" and add-ons, be sure you know what you're doing first and then make sure you know how to fix it if...

Rob

NCGent
January 23rd, 2009, 13:34
Not sure if it was just me or my system but It screwed me up, got it repaired but I for one would not recommend this.

Chris

Navy Chief
January 26th, 2009, 16:05
:help:Ok, I need some expert help here. I downloaded and installed DX10 for XP, but am having problems.

First off, will this version of DX10 work with Nhancer ok? And if so, does anyone have some recommended settings?

Next, along with DX10, I downloaded/installed Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Express.

DX10 for XP installed ok; no apparent problems. Started up FSX ok too, but noticed a blurriness in the textures. Not strikingly bad, but there, nonetheless. Using the display options in FSX, so far, am unable to correct that problem.

But the biggest problem I see (and reported on another post) is that the Missions (none of them) will work now, and when selected, cause FSX to CTD, not long after hitting the button to go to Briefing.

I did a little checking on Google, and saw a post where other people had the same errors with FSX, and one question asked in a reply was if the person had installed Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Express.

Is that program necessary for DX10 to run, once installed?

Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks.

NC

Chuck_Jodry-VJPL
January 26th, 2009, 18:55
We have enough clues to suggest that this program is not safe for use in all cases including an email recieved from Phil Taylor who says it isn't kosher.

The utility of the program is not something i can or could test myself as all my machines run vista , our library manager at Avsim loaded this program on his xp machine and was praising it, none the less after seeing problems reported and visiting the website it looks like there are reasons to avoid it as there are complications , its no magic solution to XP and DX10 , but it sure looked good in pictures .. wonder if the same artist did those magic screenies that did them for MS....

My apologies.

GT182
January 27th, 2009, 05:25
Did anyone install "Install DirectX 10 on XP With DirectX10 RC2 Pre Fix 3"?

Sounds to me like they need to work on it more to make it compatable without the problems you guys are getting. Me thinks I'll wait a bit until they get everything working the right way. No sense in rushing things. ;)