PDA

View Full Version : Freeware Nantucket Cape-Cod Photoreal Scenery

Lionheart
October 5th, 2008, 23:11
Hey guys,

I now have a dream come true. Photoreal Nantucket, Cape-Cod, Martha's Vineyard, and downtown Boston. Mind you, I had to do a pain staking 'slow fly' over all area's in 1+ mile wide pathways to lock high resolution into the Cache via use of the TileProxy program, but afterwards, I had it. (Took about 4.5 hours of slow flying and reloading scenery).

It can slow down the computer a bit. It can take 1 min to 5 mins to run Refresh Scenery, but its high resolution and awesome...........!

Warning....!
* Highly addictive
* Slows down frame rates
* Builds up HUGE files, (I have gained 20 gigs so far and only just started, not good).
* Must (must must must) have high speed internet as the files can be huge that you are downloading, unless you set the ProxyUser.INI file for lower resolutions.

:d

More on the program here;
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=631

Marlin
October 6th, 2008, 00:48
Ya know, that 4th shot doesn't look that bad for being that low! No difference than the mega scenery of Hawaii in my opinion.

Speaking of that, I bet that you could get Hawaii in more detail for about the same amount of space. If you noticed when looking there with google, it is the same thing!

Google is always uploading new photos to google earth all the time. If you don't know about this site already, they say when and where the updates happen. http://gearthblog.com/

Man I have to get this thing running.

After I reinstalled it to all default settings, the program is running but the problem comes when I first start the sim. That DOS screen that is there shows all errors while trying to download the JPEGs, on all of the servers:isadizzy: It is "Error was 28 (timeout was reached) Transfer #** problem Giving up!"

So I guess I'm half way there in solving my problems :applause:

I have about 80G worth of space on my second drive, so I guess I'll figure that part out after I get it going.

harleyman
October 6th, 2008, 02:42
For some reason I think that looks more real than the mountain pics that were posted earlier in the week...Is it just me being over opiniated? Just looks more real to me..........

So you must fly over it to build the files for it? And you must do this for every area you fly in? That would take some real dedicated air time for any long flights....Probably need to get a large T. drive just for all the files then.......:d

ananda
October 6th, 2008, 03:33
So you must fly over it to build the files for it? And you must do this for every area you fly in?

You do if you use TileProxy, but if you use Maps2Bgl, it is all done externally to FS.

heywooood
October 6th, 2008, 05:26
For some reason I think that looks more real than the mountain pics that were posted earlier in the week...Is it just me being over opiniated? Just looks more real to me..........

I agree and I think I know what it is...

These coastline images with this scenery make the terrain appear to rise out of the water...rather than as it looks in default or with other addons - which is as if the land just floats on top of the water.

those sandbars and the shorelines that appear partially submerged give the much needed changes that appeal to the eye and look far less gamey.

Lionheart
October 6th, 2008, 08:50
Hey Heywood,

This is true. The shore lines, which are visible in GoogleEarth and other sites aerial shots have that, and TileProxy has the ability to tune certain options in the 'FSX' version to enable 'grabbing' of slightly visible shore edges (submerged sandbars, etc). I think Ed has it set at 500 feet out if there is anything showing.

I have been switching through servers. This is GE presently. I may try out MS's Virtual Earth and see what they have. GE has some great Germany scenery, which the first server didnt have. It was low-rez. I flew FS9 through Innsbruck last night and just about wet myself over the detail and incredible views that GE did to the Alps... Speechless....

(And thats FS9)

HarleyMan,

You fly over an area the first time, and its mapped. If you fly fast, it doesnt load up the high resolution in time. The tiles are saved to Cache, so if you dont do a proper fly over, then your area isnt high resolution. I, being a detail freak, went for any and all high resolution area's so they would be in there. You dont have to do that. Ed suggests that you just jump in a plane and fly and not worry about the resolutions. If there is a place/spot you want high rez at, just pause and click Refresh Scenery, and it will come in high rez.

The screenshots below are from FS9 and around Innsbruck and the surrounding valleys, heading up towards Germany. The last one is Innsbruck's valley. I was in the little Bucker, so I didnt want to drop down in altitude as I would have to climb back up to get over the next rift of mountains.. (I was hopping the valleys. I had always wanted to know what was really in them that were around Innsbruck).

Resolution in FS9 is horrible, as you know, but far better then it was.

I do realise now why you guys were going on about Autogen. There doesnt appear to be any. I guess the Scenery BGL's change/effect the AutoGen. I didnt even notice, lol.. arrgh.

Bill

harleyman
October 6th, 2008, 10:53
Now those shots don't appear a harsh dark green as the mountain ones for some reason and are very appealing to me....

So, where is this cache of resolutions stored......(or scenery)???? Do you get to choose where it goes??? Or does it build up in the Sim? Wonders about the long term affect of this might be......

barryward12345
October 6th, 2008, 11:24
Harleyman

The images are stored in a folder of your choice - determined at installation time. If/when you want to delete the images, there is an easy method provided to do this.

I tend to fly around a particular area untill I tire of it and move somewhere else - once having moved , I rarely go back to the old area (as the world is a BIG place and there is lots to see elsewhere) , so I delete the old tiiles.

Barry

jimjones
October 6th, 2008, 11:26
Nice shots.

Been avoiding tileproxy stuff since I have DSL lite. Perhaps tileproxy is a reason to get faster. How fast is needed?

It will be interesting to see if FS11 will have some built in code to process their own (MS) photoreal data and an easy way to produce permanent files on drives other than c: and on USP external drives.

harleyman
October 6th, 2008, 12:49
Harleyman

The images are stored in a folder of your choice - determined at installation time. If/when you want to delete the images, there is an easy method provided to do this.

I tend to fly around a particular area untill I tire of it and move somewhere else - once having moved , I rarely go back to the old area (as the world is a BIG place and there is lots to see elsewhere) , so I delete the old tiiles.

Barry

Intresting...Thanks Barry:applause:

Lionheart
October 6th, 2008, 13:14
So, where is this cache of resolutions stored......(or scenery)???? Do you get to choose where it goes??? Or does it build up in the Sim? Wonders about the long term affect of this might be......

Barry's on it. You can click the Delete Cache, you can also click Uninstall.

Cache is stored in a folder called TileProxy in the Microsoft Games folder. The main TileProxy folder though (controls, INI file, EXE file, etc) are in the TileProxy folder in FSX. Supposedly you can indeed move or store Cache to other drives. I havent tried it yet. I believe all that information is kept on the personalised ProxyUser.INI file.

Now those shots don't appear a harsh dark green as the mountain ones for some reason and are very appealing to me....

Ahhh... That was a non-high resolution area in Germany. I switched providers and the next group have up todate high rez scenery available. Yes, much nicer. The older ones I think were low orbit photos instead of aerial photography.

(Sometimes you can see clouds in the scenery. When the photo was taken, some clouds were up there, and thus trapped in the photo, and on FS terrain. I have an island that has this badly. Evidently some fog too, lol.. arghhh.)

Been avoiding tileproxy stuff since I have DSL lite. Perhaps tileproxy is a reason to get faster. How fast is needed?

It will be interesting to see if FS11 will have some built in code to process their own (MS) photoreal data and an easy way to produce permanent files on drives other than c: and on USP external drives.

Jim Jones

Excellent idea Jim.

This would enable Microsoft and Aces to compete directly with X-Plane and Google Earth. (Microsoft have Virtual Earth, which is a competitor to Google Earth. Google Earth is also 'against' use of their aerial scenery for FS, oddly, and so perhaps VE would enable an interactive bond with FS in the future, allowing for the most incredible scenery yet... )

I dont see why Google or VE or others might wish to consider a 'service' for FS users. Perhaps a small monthly fee like Flickr.com charge would help them deal with bandwidth useage and other issues. This could be a big thing for them, in my humble opinion.

Bill

Gdavis101
October 6th, 2008, 13:47
Looks good! I have been kind of following the Tileproxy thing this weekend, wish I had more time to mess with it. Once completed, how do you store the files? And can you share the ones from Yahoo?

Lionheart
October 6th, 2008, 14:20
Hey Gene,

The files save themselves until you decide the delete them. I noticed that the files are even 'activated' with DAT files in the various scenery folders. The 'system' or program auto-generates scenery folders, perhaps based on log on times when going into a new area. But there is only a basic numbering system, so I have no idea how to locate a certain area, except to perhaps delete it.

There is a 'Cache Browser' program which is a zoom-able world map. You select the group you got the photos from, like GE or VE, then tiles begin appearing on the globe. You can make a selection around a key area and see how many files and memory is being used, etc. But no names. You can also delete tiles this way by selecting their zones viewed on the map.

I have sent the question off to Ed to find out how you could possibly find out what area is what as I would like to safely keep my East Coast and Colorado scenery in a safe location. I have waited years for that... Years......

Bill