PDA

View Full Version : Aces Studio cuts employees, Flightsimulator series ending?

Fnerg
January 23rd, 2009, 10:14
It appears even our beloved Flightsim and Trainsim departments at Microsoft are not safe from restructuring. Many cuts to the Aces Studio. :173go1:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21981&qsrc=2870 (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21981&qsrc=2870)

JSkorna
January 23rd, 2009, 11:02
Hi,

Do we really need multiple posts about this in the same forum?

Fnerg
January 23rd, 2009, 13:02
Someone needs a hug??? huh muffin??

stiz
January 23rd, 2009, 13:23

people only tend to check the bits their intrested in, so some dont see it at the same time as othes, and not seeing it where they post, post it :wavey:

falcon409
January 23rd, 2009, 17:22
Irregardless, the thing I find interesting is that even with 2 separate threads on this, and as potentially damaging to the flight sim community as it could be. . .nobody really seems to care. There are more posts about if we need two threads and the fact that a link doesn't work, than there is about the fact that ACES seems to have been completely dissolved, lol.

With that in mind, I'll cast my vote for "I could care less" (although I do care about the individuals who were cast out on their ear). I have FS9 running smoothly and enough addons to keep me happy and I have FSX tweaked the best this PC will ever run it and enjoying it as well. I'll milk those two for as long as I can and see what happens in two or three years. Heck I may not even be around in three years, so what happens to future versions of flight sim or if there will even be any future versions is of little concern to me really.

WAD3
January 23rd, 2009, 18:53
There will probably be alot more add-ons for these two platforms I imagine, developers are going to want to capitalize on whats out there so they will have to continue to develop sceneries and airpllanes for the FS9 and FSX since there may be no new platforms for a while.

Andrew

adhockey
January 23rd, 2009, 19:06
Glomming on to Falcon's remarks...

If MS folds or scales back MSFS development, I'm sure there are other development cooperatives out there that will develop their own flight sims in the future, eventually as good as FS9. This wasn't the case when MSFS was the only game (of it's kind) in town (does anyone else remember Bruce Artwick Organization?). But I have witnessed great strides made in the non-MS development community in last several years; witness X-Plane and FlightGear.

My $0.02,
ah

Willy
January 23rd, 2009, 19:18
I've been here before when MS cancelled the CFS series. And like we've done with CFS 1, 2 & 3, I believe we can keep FS9 & FSX going for years.

Wulf190
January 23rd, 2009, 19:47
is FS ending????

*Looks at folders for CFS2...300+ aircraft, multipal add-on scenery...*
*Looks as CFS2 forum at the sim-outhouse, looks at FS9 forum at out-house*

....Nope.:focus:

Dangerousdave26
January 23rd, 2009, 20:21
I've been here before when MS cancelled the CFS series. And like we've done with CFS 1, 2 & 3, I believe we can keep FS9 & FSX going for years.

Willy's right it is not ending

Look at the latest work in the CFS3 department AKA OFF BHaH

http://www.overflandersfields.com/

That surely is not a sign of a sim that is Dead

This will only server to secure the future of the addon Payware Providers as the sim is now locked at 2006 (or when ever FSX came out)

That and the fact that FSXi at this point is still be coming out but will be way off in the future (as some person said before me will be a console game NOT a PC based game) only servers to help out the payware manufactures.

Lets add to that if no new sim comes out someone will realize that there is still life in Payware for FS9 and we will see a rebirth of payware for FS9.

Fear not your hobby is not ending but all things change. For the better or not is up to you.

Dangerousdave26
January 23rd, 2009, 20:22
Hi,

Honestly you will find many members here who never leave their own house.

Myself I like to look around I find all of the work amazing at times.

deathfromafar
January 23rd, 2009, 21:01
It has been said before that even if M/S does restart things later there will be a development gap while no movement occurs and thus where we could have been now will not be. Everyone I know who uses FS or has used it at some point was shocked when I told them the news of this but at the same time they had mixed feelings about where it all may go. This is in part because most I know are not very fond of M/S in the first place for a variety of reasons. The consensus was that maybe this isn't such a bad thing in the end(with the exception of the job cuts). Maybe something far better will spring forth in the not too distant future. Time will tell. The upset and outcry(if there is enough of it) "Might" have an effect in the matter. Maybe the backlash against M/S will take this in a direction such that M/S will wish they hadn't taken this route. Who knows. Right now everything is pure supposition except the fact that folks were put out of work in this.

Corsair 14F
January 23rd, 2009, 23:22
I'm unsure about the backlash causing M/S to reconsider.
I'm unsure that anything new will spring out of this later.
We are a small community and although FS actually pionneered virtual reality there are other much more popular games that now are now very good platforms to implement novelties in this field.

A combat flight sim might have sold better, my (unrealistic) hopes for FSXI was that it could have been a mix between FS and CFS series.

Thank you ACES anyway, you did a wonderful job, OK I admit I've been ranting occasionnaly about the hardware requirements of your games the first time I purchased a FS (FS2000) but once I realized that FS was demanding, I adapted my hardware upgrade policy accordingly as a whole over the past 10 years I've had hours of great enjoyment with your games either playing them fine tuning them or discussing with members of the "community"...

Well I guess I will have to purchase FSX then (I was saving money to return on FSXI with a top notch rig...)