PDA

View Full Version : It was the Monitor...

ThinkingManNeil
July 17th, 2014, 04:49
Hi Guys;

Broke down and bought a 22" LED LG flat screen from Canada Computers yesterday for $119...well, actually $129. They give you a $10 "instant rebate" which is promptly clawed back by a $12 "re-stocking fee". At least they didn't try to sell me an extended warranty.

I did check the pins in the VGA cable and re-connected the old monitor just to make sure it wasn't a loose connection issue, but the problem didn't clear. The CRT is dead; long live the flat screen...

Quite happy with the 22. Despite my concerns over how much real estate ut would take up on my desk it fit quite nicely. The screen is much brighter than the CRT, and the "view" is like the difference of standing at Yonge & Queen Streets looking to north to Bloor and standing out in a Saskatchewan wheat field beneath a prairie sky..

Thanks for all of the advice; I appreciate it...

N.

Jafo
July 17th, 2014, 05:01
Ah...so we finally dragged you out of the last century/millennium ...;)

Welcome to the new world without valves ...;)

Just remember...LCDs have a 'native resolution'. ONLY use that resolution, none other....;)

SH427
July 17th, 2014, 05:05
I remember fondly when I switched from a 1280x1024 monitor to a 21.5" flatscreen running 1920x1080. It was like Christmas when I hooked up that HDMI cable and saw Rise Of Flight in HD.
It's only peaches and roses from here:encouragement:

odourboy
July 17th, 2014, 06:15
Glad you sorted this out. Thanks for letting us know your solution.

Rudyjo
July 17th, 2014, 12:02
I went from a 17" to a 19" to a 22" and now have a 25".
Just this morning I was in a store that sells monitors and was looking at a 27".
Each new monitor looks huge for a couple of days and it then looks "normal" and I start looking for something bigger.

Even the 55" television in the living room doesn't look that big anymore.

MCDesigns
July 17th, 2014, 14:16
I went from a 17" to a 19" to a 22" and now have a 25".
Just this morning I was in a store that sells monitors and was looking at a 27".
Each new monitor looks huge for a couple of days and it then looks "normal" and I start looking for something bigger.

Even the 55" television in the living room doesn't look that big anymore.

Bingo, same here. I remember when I got a used 21 inch Sony CRT, I was in heaven. Then I finally got my first LCD at 23 inches, wow, loved it for awhile. Then got a sweet deal on an LG 25 inch widescreen, didn't think it could get better.......wrong. Now I have 2 Samsung 27 inch LEDs and they are fantastic...........BUT I am now used to the size and think about what the next size up will be, LOL. :dizzy:

Congrats, a new monitor is always a good thing!

trucker17
July 17th, 2014, 15:19
Welcome to the 21st Century..:encouragement:.....Now ditch them CAVEMAN CLOTHS, and grab a brew......:very_drunk:

Jafo
July 17th, 2014, 16:34
I remember when I first saw a Sony 21" .....back when the 'rich people' had 17" [I was surviving on a 15]. It was amazing....I was peering at it from about 2" away...looking at every 'pixel'...so clean and clear.

Compared now with just about any LCD...and it's a dinosaur....or an optional anchor for the QE2 ....;)

Sundog
July 17th, 2014, 20:09
Man, I've been saving for a the Saitek X55, but after reading this, maybe I should get a new monitor. Mine is just a lowly 19 inch monitor. ;)

srgalahad
July 18th, 2014, 11:35
back in the really old days (vinyl records and turntables) I learned the following:

"Why buy a $1000 stereo then use a $20 stylus and $49 speakers?" - the beginning and end of the interface are as/more important than the processing in the middle - ie. if the source is no good then don't hear the best, and if the output is marginal then how can you enjoy the full experience at it's best?

When I moved to PCs I held true to this, even if it meant getting the best monitor(s) I couldn't afford. :untroubled:

Currently that means a 25" & a 19" on the #2 sim computer and a 30" IPS monitor to go with the 17" native display on the laptop which is my #1 sim machine.

Even this "office" computer runs a 21" pivoting IPS monitor ( I do a lot of text editing).

It's easier on aging eyes and the better the image the more the enjoyment.