PDA

View Full Version : problem shutting down with DX10

musterpilot
July 6th, 2014, 01:11
Hi all
I have this problem when I shut down FSX in DX10 mode
when I go back to the desktop the FSX icon stays on in the task bar for a few seconds
then the desk top flashes and then all is ok
is there a fix for this ?
this dose not happen in DX9 mode

Roger
July 6th, 2014, 02:31
Mine does the same but it doesn't bother me.

Adamski_NZ
July 6th, 2014, 21:57
Hi all
I have this problem when I shut down FSX in DX10 mode
when I go back to the desktop the FSX icon stays on in the task bar for a few seconds
then the desk top flashes and then all is ok
is there a fix for this ?
this dose not happen in DX9 mode

I'm guessing - but it *could* be a problem related to the Windows "Aero" theme. Grab the "HowTo" guide and take a look at the section relating to starting/stopping Aero (Section 8, page 20):

http://www.nzfsim.org/index.php?dsp=dload&fname=DX10_HowTo.pdf

Adam.

EDIT: I forgot to add - I'm using all the tweaks recommended in the guide and I don't get this problem. It could be for 100 other reasons though :lol:

TheFamilyMan
July 8th, 2014, 20:33
This behavior is normal for window 7 and FSX DX10 preview. Unless you want to fiddle around with disabling Aero, which really is not necessary unless you need the FSX window mode vsync fix, just get use to it for nothing is broken.

Adamski_NZ
July 9th, 2014, 00:14
This behavior is normal for window 7 and FSX DX10 preview.
With the greatest respect - I take issue with that! ;)

I've been running DX10 for months now (and I ran it a year or two ago, before the "Fixer"). I've *never* had it do that on me. Nor have I heard that it's even a common thing, let alone "normal".

Also - as part of editing the "How-to" guide, I've either looked at or tested almost every DX10-related tweak out there.

Though I'm not really sure quite what the problem is here, I think it's fixable and don't think you should have to live with it.

Adam.

TheFamilyMan
July 9th, 2014, 05:49
Sorry for sounding so brash. Since I've always experienced this same behavior I assumed it was normal (as an above poster did as well) and not a problem. For me the "few seconds" is about 1 to 2, and I only run using full screen mode. BTW, I too have been using Steve's DX10 shader mod well before the paid release version was available.

Paul J
July 9th, 2014, 06:17
Just "popping in" for a minute and a couple of cents.. It is possible that this issue might be as simple as, having been using FSX-DX9 for a while - maybe many months or even a year or more - and then enabling DX10 and running without de-fragging the drive, - one might find that hard drive fragmentation might now cause a longer seek time when shutting down FSX, as the data involved, and the datapaths are now different to that of DX9.
Try a defrag and see what happens. It's something that we need to do every now and then, and it's a cheap fix if this is what's causing the delay.

All the best,

pj

lownslo
July 9th, 2014, 06:19
I believe this is more about a hardware combination than trying to define what is normal and what is not. On my system FSX takes a few seconds to shut down (icon in the task bar) but I don't get the screen flash. However, a friend whose computer I built for FSX (4770K on a Gigabyte motherboard and nVidia 780) has both the slow FSX closing and screen flash. His system works just fine... all apps are happy and the sim works great (DX10 right from the install of FSX), but that slow FSX closing and screen flash drove us crazy. Until we realized the system works just as it should... with that unique "personality trait" thrown in for good measure.

Greg

Adamski_NZ
July 9th, 2014, 07:15
Sorry for sounding so brash. Since I've always experienced this same behavior I assumed it was normal (as an above poster did as well) and not a problem. For me the "few seconds" is about 1 to 2, and I only run using full screen mode. BTW, I too have been using Steve's DX10 shader mod well before the paid release version was available.
Hehe - no problem. I don't think you were brash - I just didn't agree with you :lol:

Another thing to check ... are there any other add-ons that are set to run with your FSX .... that are holding it up (in closing) slightly?OPUS, ActiveSky ... that sort of thing? It may be that they have to shut themselves down first before FSX quits (gracefully).

Adam.

musterpilot
July 11th, 2014, 03:30
Sorry for the delay on getting back everyone been off the net for a while
thanks for all your replys
like my wife says "get over it"

anyhow will give your ideas a go and see how I go failing that refer to the wifes quote :untroubled:

sleightflight
September 11th, 2014, 13:56
Yep I also have this screen flash and slow close, my fsx drive is well defragmented, I defrag on every new install, fsx runs fine but sometimes crashes on start up and I mean sometimes, sometimes it will do this two or three times in a row before it starts up.
my cpu is a 3770K at 4.5 ghz, so it's not slow, and a gtx780 classified card.

mjrhealth
September 12th, 2014, 20:16
Yep I also have this screen flash and slow close, my fsx drive is well defragmented, I defrag on every new install, fsx runs fine but sometimes crashes on start up and I mean sometimes, sometimes it will do this two or three times in a row before it starts up.
my cpu is a 3770K at 4.5 ghz, so it's not slow, and a gtx780 classified card.

CPU overclocked, FSX crashing PC very likely unstable, drop your overclock.

sleightflight
September 16th, 2014, 10:34
Its a paid for professionally overclocked system built by overclockers uk, I never had any problems in DX9 for two years, only in DX10 but fsx runs fine just the weird shut down and occasional fsx start up crash, if I delete the shader cashe everytime after closing fsx it starts fine all the time.
My cpu temps are really cool and nowhere near any temperature worry zones in fact it runs at the normal recommended temps.

Adamski_NZ
September 16th, 2014, 22:49
Is it still happening?

Have you done the uiautomationcore.dll dance?

Adam.

sleightflight
September 19th, 2014, 10:23
Haven't had it the last four times I've been on it, it is an occasional thing, I do have a uiautomation dll in their, haven't tried other versions of it though, which I assume is what you mean by dance.

sleightflight
September 19th, 2014, 12:58
Think I may of figured out what was causing my start up crashes.
I haven't sorted out the trees in front of runways problem, and sometimes I have got to close to a tree and have crashed, even though I am several feet clear the sim doesn't see it that way.
But as soon as I get the collision I have been pressing escape key before the re load screen comes up, and then I have closed the sim down.
I have found if I let the sim re load before hitting the escape key and then closing the sim I dont get the start up crash.