PDA

View Full Version : Frame rate limiters?

Slund
October 5th, 2008, 22:00
I am running Fs9 on a quad core Q9450 2.66GHz, 4 gigs of DDR3 Ram, dual Nvidia 9800GTX+ video card and its running with all slider full right, with frames set to unlimited I sit right around 58-68 fps, no stutters. Here's my question, I can't get the frame rate to increase or decrease no matter what I set the sliders to or how I configure the weather. With display sliders full right, cloud sliders set to full right and heavy clouds, full ai traffic and flying over a large city I get just about the exact same framerates with all sliders full left flying over nothing but trees? I have never heard of this happening before and haven't found a similar experience on google? Is there something else that could be limiting my max fps? I am not real concerned with getting the highest frame rates possible I'm just curious why my system doesn't seem to be reacting the way it should?

lucas81
October 5th, 2008, 22:13
Your FPS setting is identical to your monitor refresh rate I guess. I ve experienced such thing in couple of simulators, where I could not get above 75 fps.

Slund
October 16th, 2008, 11:02
Thanks for the reply djwaglik, my fps do seem to correspond to my refresh rate for the most part but occasianally I see fps in excess of 100 but only for a second or two. What I have noticed is that while adjusting sliders doesn't seem to do a thing to the fps, adding an additional monitor really drags the fps down, much more than I would have expected 25-30 fps? Any suggestions on what I should be looking at? I'm positive this computer should be doing better and as I plan to use all 4 outputs on the cards I'd like to get it sorted out. :banghead:

Butcherbird17
October 16th, 2008, 15:45
This is because of the refresh rate. Also fs9/X does not support SLI. Try disabling SLI and vsync and see if the frames go up. If vsync is enabled your frames are locked to your monitors refresh rate. Another thing to try is locking your frames to 25 and leave it there, with your system specs you will never see em drop even with all sliders full right. Last thing to do is to wait for the Big Bang II drivers (180.xx) to be released, these drivers will give support for dual monitors in SLI.:applause:

Joe

Alexraptor
October 16th, 2008, 17:34
Why would you want more than 58-68 fps?
Also i'm curious with framerate set to unlimited do you get any heavy blurring of the scenery textures? And what framerate do you get over seattle?

Slund
October 17th, 2008, 09:31
Thanks Joe, I do not have SLI enabled as I am using all the ports on the two graphics cards. I'm sure that I have Vsnyc enabled so as soon as I get home :running: I will disable it :ernae:. Alexraptor, it doesn't matter where I fly the FPS are still the same, even over Seattle in heavy weather with full AI etc, I get 58-68 fps? When I limit the fps to 25 I get bad stutters so I have to fly with it set to unlimited, there is no blurring of the scenery textures. I'm not concerned with getting the highest fps possible, I just know that something is limiting my system and wanted to get it fixed. Thanks again for the suggestions guys I really appreciate the help.

Slund
October 17th, 2008, 14:56
It worked Joe :applause: I disabled Vsync for Fs9 and my fps are now in the 150-200 + range. Better yet, when I limit them to something more reasonable like 40 I don't get the stutters like I used to. Thanks again for the help.

Alexraptor
October 20th, 2008, 02:48
Bah your confusing me, i thought you were getting that good performance in FSX... after all you are posting on an FSX forum. :rolleyes:

Slund
October 20th, 2008, 09:47
Alexraptor, sorry about confusing you. I posted here because it I figured it was a hardware issue and the version of flight sim wouldn't make much difference. You must have thought I was working some kind of black magic to be getting frame rates like that in FSX...:d

Alexraptor
October 20th, 2008, 11:24
Sure did :P

Butcherbird17
October 20th, 2008, 18:39
Your Welcome:applause: Now lets see ya get that in fsx.:d:kilroy:

Joe

pfrank
October 20th, 2008, 23:18
This is because of the refresh rate. Also fs9/X does not support SLI. Try disabling SLI and vsync and see if the frames go up. If vsync is enabled your frames are locked to your monitors refresh rate. Another thing to try is locking your frames to 25 and leave it there, with your system specs you will never see em drop even with all sliders full right. Last thing to do is to wait for the Big Bang II drivers (180.xx) to be released, these drivers will give support for dual monitors in SLI.:applause:

Joe

Gentlemen!

Could You explain SLI and vsync and how to disable it please? Also will setting fps to unlimited hurt anything? Thank You Kindly.

Pete

Butcherbird17
October 21st, 2008, 18:52
Could You explain SLI and vsync and how to disable it please? Also will setting fps to unlimited hurt anything? Thank You Kindly.

SLI is short for Scalable Link Interface. It is proprietary of Nvidia and is a method of allowing two graphic cards of the same model to be linked and share the load of rendering the graphics on screen. To enable/disable SLI you will need to go into BIOS of your motherboard. As I posted above, fs9/X does not support SLI. Hopefully FS11 will.:kilroy:

Vsync (Vertical Synchronization) synchronizes your FPS with your monitor's refresh rate. The purpose is to eliminate tearing in games/sims. This can be enable/disabled in either the Nvidia Control panel or in game/sim.

Setting your FPS to unlimited will not hurt anything. Some say its better for thier system others don't. I keep mine locked at 25, but thats just a habbit of mine.:d

Joe

pfrank
October 21st, 2008, 19:29
Joe

Thank You very much for explaining. I was just curious.:canada:

Pete