PDA

View Full Version : My Brief Saitek X55 Review

StormILM
June 30th, 2014, 21:13
Okay, my X55 finally arrived today and thus far, I am pleased and I'm getting the hang of programming it and having this many control & switch options which are all completely customizable for each aircraft. First off, the X55 is pretty solid despite the use of a lot of plastic in the bases, stick, throttles, and switches and there are metal switches & parts. Compared to the X52 series, the X55 external components are much more heavy duty. First I will cover the "negative" aspects. Some of the switches seem pretty flimsy or low quality but no more so than many controllers on the market but then again, heavy handed users(hard core gamers) will likely wear this controller and it's switches out at a higher rate than most deft handed flight simmers & RW pilots using PC sims. I know of a few cases of the Warthog getting worn switches and components due to heavy handed use. Negatives aside, next, the stick. It does have a nice feel in the hand but yes, the spring and collar system are typical Saitek and it re-centers with the same "thunk" that the X52/45 do. The upshot, the interchangeable springs allow you to get the best weight/movement feel that you desire(within the limitations of the design) and I have mine set at the next to the highest weight spring. I did test all 4 springs and feel the the 2 middle weight springs have the best feel. The lightest and heaviest springs simply do not have a good feel for precise sim work. But here is where I agree with some that the Warthog stick is in general a superior feeling stick in terms of mechanical movement but both sticks have Hall Sensors that have excellent linearity. In other words, the X55 stick is very precise and sensitive like the Warthog stick, just with a different movement feel. So far as the lack of a two stage trigger, not a big deal because the pinky button can easily be set up for functions that are incorporated in two stage trigger. Some won't mind this, others will. Lastly about the stick, much fuss has been made about not being able to lock the twist function. Mine does not move at all during normal X/Y axis movement and it takes significant effort to turn the stick in the twist axis. It's a non-issue not having a twist lock.

As far as the throttle unit, very nice, excellent feel and many switch programming options like the Warthog unit. So, in deciding between an X55 or a HOTAS Warthog, it boils down to what you want and how much you're willing to spend. I have had a look inside both controllers and to be very honest, the internal components are not that much different quality wise. For the money, the X55 gives you much of what the much more expensive Warthog offers. However, some will prefer the Warthog stick feel over the X55 and I respect that preference having tested the Warthog. I am pleased to have spent less and got a very good controller. Now begins the longevity test which my badly worn X52 made it 8 long years of nearly daily use. If after a year or two, this one doesn't cut it, I will review other options and by then, maybe a Pro version of the X55 will be out(and there are hints of just that) and the price of the Warthog will drop. The X55 is outselling it by leaps and bounds. My seller received 50 units at 9am in the morning and by 4 PM, they were all gone! So if you're in the market for a HOTAS controller in this price range, it is hard to go wrong.

Sundog
July 1st, 2014, 14:57
Thanks for the review. My used and abused X45 units need replacing and I am definitely looking forward to having a dual throttle quadrant. I don't think I'll be able to beat the X55 for the money.

StormILM
July 1st, 2014, 16:10
It's a keeper if it holds up. One point to add from my last 24 hours of testing/programming, if you are used to running the control stick at high sensitivity settings with (as I am) for optimum control response, make sure you set your null zones to the minimum of where there is no tendency for uncentered(uncommanded) inputs. This is especially so with the rudder twist function of the stick(which I set the null zone of that axis to 50%) and the roll & pitch axis to about 10% null zone. Reason being that this stick's Hall Sensors are so sensitive that if the null zones are too narrow, uncommanded inputs can occur which make it seem like the stick is out of calibration or the trim settings are off or constantly shifting. Also of importance, regarding the throttle, you can set it's sensitivity at max with no null zone BUT make sure when calibrating that after moving the throttles back and forth during the range/movement test that you center the cursor before advancing to the next page(of calibration) where the program asks you to "center the controls" and "click next". I first didn't do the latter and it wreaked havoc on the stability of the throttles when in sim! Just ran my first flight using the Aerosoft Airbus X Extended and it worked beautifully!

Jafo
July 1st, 2014, 21:12
The X65F....the only way to fly....
...a stick with no moving parts...;)

mirage3
July 10th, 2014, 10:05
I also bought the X55 Rhino with M.A.C.H System.... It is wonderful!

@jafo: did you not mean the price is a bit high?

StormILM
July 10th, 2014, 11:04
The X65F....the only way to fly....
...a stick with no moving parts...;)

I tested the X65F too and liked it. I think it offers a lot of great options. I probably would have bought it if the X55 had not come out.

odourboy
July 10th, 2014, 14:34
I've had one of these since mid-March. Quite decent overall. Aside from a stiff speed brake switch and some occasional switch bounce issues, I'm quite satisfied except for one thing I find pesky - the stick binds on the collar when I first try to move it out of the center 'detent' position. Once it 'breaks loose', it's quite smooth. But the initial binding messes up what would otherwise be extremely smooth stick operation. Anyone else experience this or have a solution? I'm using the lightest spring FWIW (I was using a CH Products stick before which is very light, so that's what I got used to).

StormILM
July 10th, 2014, 14:54
I've had one of these since mid-March. Quite decent overall. Aside from a stiff speed brake switch and some occasional switch bounce issues, I'm quite satisfied except for one thing I find pesky - the stick binds on the collar when I first try to move it out of the center 'detent' position. Once it 'breaks loose', it's quite smooth. But the initial binding messes up what would otherwise be extremely smooth stick operation. Anyone else experience this or have a solution? I'm using the lightest spring FWIW (I was using a CH Products stick before which is very light, so that's what I got used to).

Ahhh, glad you brought this up as I forgot to. The easy way to deal with that is to add a graphite based lubricant grease to the shaft below and above the collar. A lite oil lube is added to the shaft at the factory but IMO, it is inadequate compared to a good graphite or lithium type grease. The way to apply the grease is to remove the stick and spring retainer rings and spring, then carefully apply the grease (very lightly) on the shaft with a q-tip and then manually move the collar up and down a few times. If any excess grease appears below or above the collar, simply wipe it off. Also, I applied a light coat of the graphite grease on the bottom of the collar near the edges where it comes in contact with the base. This type of lubrication (and maintaining of it) is something I have done with all my Saitek sticks over the years which IMO has helped with the longevity of the parts that have contact friction from normal use.

odourboy
July 10th, 2014, 16:39
Thanks for that tip! I have a graphite lubricant that I wanted to try but since graphite is a conductor, I was afraid I might screw up the stick if I used it. But with your success, I'm going to try it. (Worst case scenario.. screw it up and have to go back to my CH stick, which is not at all shabby)

StormILM
July 10th, 2014, 16:53
Thanks for that tip! I have a graphite lubricant that I wanted to try but since graphite is a conductor, I was afraid I might screw up the stick if I used it. But with your success, I'm going to try it. (Worst case scenario.. screw it up and have to go back to my CH stick, which is not at all shabby)

Yes, that was my concern too but the key is very light application. Most oils/greases can and will infiltrate electronics and do damage but the graphite grease is 70-80% static(non-dripping/running) and with the lite application, it is very safe. Having used it on Saitek stick collars since 2003, I've never had an issue.