PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a GTX770?

big-mike
June 29th, 2014, 11:57
I had to replace my Videocard with a Gainward GTX770 Phantom 4GB.
CPU is the 4670K.
Which settings in the Fixer and NVinspector would you recommend for the best performance?
Mike

Paul J
June 29th, 2014, 13:56
You'll not find much improvement anywhere, Mike, as the 580 has a better Memory Inteface Bandwidth of 384-bit, against the 770's 256-bit, and a Memory Bandwidth of 192.4 GB/s against the 770's 224.3 GB/s - not much gain - if any. I think your current settings - if you're still using the cfg made back on May 14th. will be the same. The sim might be a tad smoother. I went from the 580 to the 780, but purely because I run three monitors, and the 780 has a very different chipset. FSX likes fas-s-s-s-t processors!

Why did you "had to replace" the 580?

pj

big-mike
June 30th, 2014, 07:10
The 580 died a few days ago,Paul.
Do you think,i should get a "better" card?
I still use your cfg.
Thank you for your reply.
Mike

Paul J
June 30th, 2014, 08:22
Well - running the 6800K at five gig - I had to set the 580 at UsePools=1, with a slightly larger PoolSize and a RejectThreshold set, with a few other limits, other wise I had graphics spikes/artifacts: moving to the 780 allowed for higher fsx.cfg and NI settings, (UsePools=0, and able to tolerate more dense clouds, LOD level, etc., with a more stable framerate, so I reckon a 780(Ti) would be my recommendation, Mike.

We spend so much time in the sim (many of us decades!), and considering that a typical good quality R/C helicopter will set you back $2500, and many golf courses charge $500 (and up) just for a membership - let alone green fees - then I can certainly justify the expense of a good - pretty close to the top - graphics card. Why buy great scenery, great airports - like the FlyTampa, FSDT, FlightBeam, etc., airports - and great aircraft like the PMDG lineup, or the A2A offerings, only to have to come back to the forums, asking the same old questions, time after time after time. The guys that you don't see complaining or asking these performance-related questions are the huys with fast processors, very well cooled, with moderately high-speed memory - and a good GPU. Nick Needham might come across as harsh in many ways, but his hardware recommendations are always "buy the high-end GPU": that gets rid of any potential (and unfixable) bottleneck downstream from the processor. (low-speed memory doesn't have the performance impact that a mid or low-end GPU will have.)

....and budget the investment over the life of the card, say $650 spread over three years comes to a hair over four bucks per week - and you will still have a very good GPU at the end of the three years!

:encouragement:

All the Best,

pj

big-mike
June 30th, 2014, 09:59
Thank you very much for your recommodation and taking the time to explain it to me,Paul.
Would a 780GTX be okay too?
I really cannot afford a 780TI,two weeks ago i moved to a new appartment(that was expensive enough!) and then the 580 died in the completely wrong moment.
What would be better with a 780GTX instead the 770GTX?
Please excuse my ignorance.
Mike

Paul J
June 30th, 2014, 10:49
Thank you very much for your recommodation and taking the time to explain it to me,Paul.
Would a 780GTX be okay too?
I really cannot afford a 780TI,two weeks ago i moved to a new appartment(that was expensive enough!) and then the 580 died in the completely wrong moment.
What would be better with a 780GTX instead the 770GTX?
Please excuse my ignorance.
Mike

Hi Mike:

"Would a 780GTX be okay too?"

Yessir! The straight 780 is a beast, and will handle anything the existing procs can throw at it. I was surprised when the Ti came out, but it's not necessary if the 780 can be had at a lower cost.

"Please excuse my ignorance." Don't be so humble!! Your questions are perfectly correct and are perfectly worded, exactly aimed at getting the very best value for your money. There's no shame in that! OK!!

All the Best,

pj

big-mike
June 30th, 2014, 11:10
Thanks so much,Paul!
Your help is much appreciated.
I will bring back the 770 tomorrow and buy a 780.
Mike

PS:a last question,would you install the driver that comes with the new card,or the latest WHQL?

Paul J
June 30th, 2014, 12:27
Hi Mike;

Me? I would just download the latest WHQL driver for the 780 from here (http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us), installing just the graphics driver for the 780, and nothing else (only because I don't use the Nvidia Sound, or PhysX, etc.. anywhere else. The 770 has a different driver.

I reckon you've made a very good choice, and it will give you lots of pleasure from everything else, as well as FSX!

All the Best,

pj.

big-mike
June 30th, 2014, 12:48
Thank you,Paul.
Mike

big-mike
July 1st, 2014, 06:44
Now i am the proud owner of a 780GTX.
Which settings in NVinsp. and the fsx.cfg would you recommend,Paul?
Mike

Paul J
July 1st, 2014, 09:20
Well done, Mike! Now you have an FSX machine!

....but now - I'm 'retired', and this is where other experienced folk can jump in!

Certainly I'll give you -

[BufferPools]
UsePools=0

- but that's all I'll give you!

As I posted at the top, Mike - I'm trying really hard to break away from my computer and the ties to the forums, and I know that there are some pretty smart fsx'ers out there, and they need the opportunities to help - ok!

All the Best,

:encouragement:

pj

big-mike
July 1st, 2014, 10:04
Thank you Paul for all your help!
I wish you the very best.
Mike