PDA

View Full Version : ALS-SIM Flanker B - DOA??

WarHorse47
June 20th, 2014, 06:05
Yesterday evening I downloaded, purchased and installed the ALM-SIM Flanker B. Since then I have encountered nothing but problems and no solutions, and have installed, uninstalled and reinstalled over 4 times and still cannot load nor fly the aircraft. I've read all the posts on their forum and this forum, and cannot figure out why. Here is what happens.

After a clean install, FSX loads normally. I can select the Flanker under Free Flight, but in doing so there are interrupts in the FSX theme music. After 30 seconds the aircraft rotates as expected. When selecting Fly Now, FSX minimizes to the taskbar and there is nothing but a black screen and FSX locks up. I've resorted to Ctrl-Alt-Delete to shutting down FSX and return my computer to normal. And yes, FSX works fine with all my other payware/freeware aircraft, etc.

Both als-sim.dll and gaugesound.dll are in the main FSX folder. ASLSIM_XMLSound.GAU and als_flanker.DLL properly registered with FSX.cfg. The lic file is copied to the Windows directory, and also to the root FSX directory (just to see if it fixes the problem), and the results are the same.

I know this product has been around for a couple years, but I sure didn't expect this. I have a ticket in with Flight1 inquiring about a refund of my $32.00 and an e-mail to Mark Harper, but no responses of yet. I saw a lot of posts here at SOH on this aircraft, so I thought someone might have some ideas as to what to look for.

Thanks in advance.

Dumonceau
June 20th, 2014, 07:29
Hey WH,

As is to be expected, I have a few questions for you before being able to say something remotely intelligeble:

what OS are you running? If it is Win7/Vista/8/8.1 then the following question is: is UAC running? If so, disable it
Installing things from an F1 installer can sometimes go wrong if your AV is still running, try do a repair of the install with the AV temporarily off
Why did you do this: "The lic file is copied to the Windows directory" I think you should have left it where it was

Keep us posted please! I'm sure many others will want to help!

Dumonceau

WarHorse47
June 20th, 2014, 08:15
Hey WH,

As is to be expected, I have a few questions for you before being able to say something remotely intelligeble:

what OS are you running? If it is Win7/Vista/8/8.1 then the following question is: is UAC running? If so, disable it
Installing things from an F1 installer can sometimes go wrong if your AV is still running, try do a repair of the install with the AV temporarily off
Why did you do this: "The lic file is copied to the Windows directory" I think you should have left it where it was

Keep us posted please! I'm sure many others will want to help!

DumonceauOkay. Some answers.

--Win8. UAC is running. I am sole user and Administrator of the computer. My FSX is in its own directory outside the Programs(x86) directory. I have many, many addon a/c and never had one install problem.

--AV always is running. No error messages on install.

-- Running the Flight1 wrapper creates a directory C:\ALM-SIM.com that contains the lic file and msi installer. According to the ALM-SIM forum on the Flanker, users should copy the lic file to their Windows directory.

Mark Harper has responded to my e-mail and is looking into the issue.

I should add that there are no typical error messages either on attempting to load my flight with the Flanker, or as reported by MS error reporting other than a problem with FSX.

I know enough about computers and software to scare myself. Everything is suspect at the moment. :banghead::banghead:

airattackimages
June 20th, 2014, 08:38
I have nothing but problems with that thing myself. Haven't flown it in a long time. At current, the visual model has gone stealth and all I get to look at are the turbine fans and other assorted junk. It does that as an anti piracy measure, but this is a purchased copy.

Even when it was working, that anti piracy feature meant I couldn't fly with any dissimilar aircraft without modifying all of the OTHER aircraft. Designers really should disclose if that is how they set their product up, because it would save me the trouble of buying it.

Dumonceau
June 20th, 2014, 09:01
Okay. Some answers.

--Win8. UAC is running. I am sole user and Administrator of the computer. My FSX is in its own directory outside the Programs(x86) directory. I have many, many addon a/c and never had one install problem.

--AV always is running. No error messages on install.

-- Running the Flight1 wrapper creates a directory C:\ALM-SIM.com that contains the lic file and msi installer. According to the ALM-SIM forum on the Flanker, users should copy the lic file to their Windows directory.

Mark Harper has responded to my e-mail and is looking into the issue.

I should add that there are no typical error messages either on attempting to load my flight with the Flanker, or as reported by MS error reporting other than a problem with FSX.

I know enough about computers and software to scare myself. Everything is suspect at the moment. :banghead::banghead:

WH,

IMHO you should try to reinstall everything and copying the lic file with UAC and AV off.

After that, turn everything on and reboot. You should be fine.

Dumonceau

wombat666
June 20th, 2014, 10:12
Just fired mine up and it still works fine.
You should really turn the idiotic UAV nuisance off.

"Designers really should disclose if that is how they set their product up, because it would save me the trouble of buying it."

I couldn't agree more, I haven't flown it for a while and I remember why, in fact, removing it from FSX is imminent.

WarHorse47
June 20th, 2014, 11:01
I really appreciate everyone's input.

However, at this moment I am not inclined to turn of my AV or UAC.

After receiving my new computer last year, I went through two reinstalls of Windows 8. First because of a faulty board, and second due to a virus on the replacement computer. Consequently, I am not willing to risk my computer and non-FSX software just for one $32 package. Not yet, at least.

Another reason for my reluctance to follow everyone's advice is that it is contrary to what the developer has indicated on his forum. Quoting Mark Harper, "You must install the Flanker with Administrator rights and UAC on", and he goes on to say "If any problems make sure that als-sim.dll and GaugeSound.dll are in the root FSX folder. Also make sure that the ALS_Flanker_B.lic is in the "Windows" folder."

My computer far exceeds his minimum specs, so the issue comes down to either a gauge conflict or piracy protection. Either that or something else is corrupted that is preventing the aircraft from loading.

All the reviews and comments I've read were fairly positive on this product, so I'm surprised that others are having issues. The other option I have is to purse a full refund, if that is possible.

WarHorse47
June 20th, 2014, 18:00
Cheers for Flight1. :applause:

At my request the process for a refund has been initiated. The product has been removed from my machine.

Daube
June 21st, 2014, 00:48
Thanks for starting this topic.
Since a few days, I was hesitating between the ALS-SIM and the Bear Studios Su-27 Flanker... Having already the Bear Studios Su-30 and J-15, I found the ALS-SIM virtual cockpit looked better, while the Bear Studio exterior models looked better....
I guess I'll have to go with the Bear Studios Su-27 then.