PDA

View Full Version : Guadacanal SBD skins by UncleTgt

UncleTgt
June 17th, 2014, 07:17
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/soh_ftp/uploads/imageuploads/782914029984782361.jpg
A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Skins - American

Description: Guadacanal skins for the FDG SBD5 by UncleTgt
This is a set of repaints for the freeware (not Donationware) FDG SBD-5 Dauntless for CFS 2.
The inspiration for these repaints was Talons USMC Aces mission pack - I wanted to try to emulate the appearance of the MS stocker repaint standards whilst building on prior work by Smashing Time, Rob H, & Morton et al.
These repaints depict a variety of a/c operating out from Henderson, Guadacanal, during 1942/3.
USMC
VMSB232 SEP42
VMSB233 JAN43
USN
VS6 AUG42

To install, unzip the download to a temporary folder. Use as replacement textures with the relevant FDG_SBD5 model as appropriate.
Thanks to
Gramps/FDG for the original aircraft.
Talon for his USMC ACes mission pack that was the inspiration for these repaints.
Morton, Smashing Time & Rob H for their pioneering work on thes repaints, all I did was to combine elements from each together with elements of the MS stocker template.
This is freeware and subject to the usual conditions
UncleTgt
JUN 2014

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Guadacanal SBD skins UT.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=18574&catid=57)
The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Rami
June 18th, 2014, 01:16
UncleTgt,

These also look fantastic!

Just to clarify, they are for this model: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=52&id=1481

Talon
June 19th, 2014, 13:15
UT as always great work
.I think you are trying to get me back to the Solomons again.

UncleTgt
June 19th, 2014, 23:50
Al,

Nah, you're a soft touch really:sentimental: You know you'll revisit The Solomons again sometime...

I'm really trying to get Maskrider's attention so he will pick up his Solomons scenery re-do once more:bee:
& show Rami that there is life beyond the ETO/MTO :banghead::a1310:

Roxane-21
June 20th, 2014, 02:08
there is life beyond the ETO/MTO

There are still many things to do with ETO. Maybe some mid- to late-war RAF or German campaigns, riding Paul Rebuffat's Spitfires and Me-109s and Team Daedalus' Fw-190s... Some great USAAF ETO campaigns have been released recently, it would be awsome to have RAF campaigns and their axis counterpart as well. :angel:

I know what you are going to answer me : "do it yourself..."
Maybe I will try my hand at making missions and campaigns after I move back to Europe this summer. Should take me a little while to learn MB, but this could be a cool side project for me.

Devildog73
June 21st, 2014, 23:29
There are still many things to do with ETO. Maybe some mid- to late-war RAF or German campaigns, riding Paul Rebuffat's Spitfires and Me-109s and Team Daedalus' Fw-190s... Some great USAAF ETO campaigns have been released recently, it would be awsome to have RAF campaigns and their axis counterpart as well. :angel:

I know what you are going to answer me : "do it yourself..."
Maybe I will try my hand at making missions and campaigns after I move back to Europe this summer. Should take me a little while to learn MB, but this could be a cool side project for me.

Yes, please do so.

I will pick up in the Solomons and add to Talon's USMC work. I have intended to give my older brothers from WWII some air campaigns for quite some time. I had intended to do USMC work in CFS2 upon completion of Tuskegee Airmen and got sidetracked by Aces and now BPF, both worthy endeavors.

So, after completion of BPF, I AM going to do USMC air missions. I will work around what Talon and others have already contributed and research the archives of information and try to build undiscovered territory for the Marine Air Wing of the Pacific Theater.

MaskRider, I join UncleTgt in requesting that you work your magic on the islands used by the USMC during their flight toward the Japanese homeland.

I am not yet up to the task of tackling scenery work, even with all of Achim's help.

DDog

Fibber
June 24th, 2014, 12:52
.....and request a little clarification here.
These skins are for the FDG SBD5 and NOT the FDG2 SBD5? Will these skins fit the FDG2 version, are they compatible? If not I have a quandry, I just re-realized that I don't have the original FDG version saved anymore. Where it went is beyond me but I appear to have everything else except the original plane. It doesn't seem to be in the SOH library either, all that is there seem to be the additions. Anyone want to put the original complete aircraft back in (or share) if possible?

UncleTgt
June 24th, 2014, 13:43
Fibber,

Rami answered the question - it's the non-Donationware SBD-5 see post #2 above for the download link.

FDG vs FDG2 - for us latecomers we just paint what aircraft we can still get a hold of - Talon's USMC Aces missions were the inspiration, so there's the clue...:dejection:

Al, Morton and myself like the freeware FDG2(?)SBD-5 because it's easier to paint - these a/c should be the earlier SBD-3 or SBD-4. There, clear as mud!:stupid:

Fibber
June 24th, 2014, 15:54
....there-in lies the muddle. The link Rami gave is the same that I have and that only has a panel, texture, .cfg.
No mdl. Sound is no problem as I use a alias that goes to a centralized file.
I remember when FDG was around at the beginning and then IIRC drifted apart. They then came back as FDG2 I guess to just befuddle us all.
Anyway if the texs. fit I dress up my "2" version.

Talon
June 24th, 2014, 16:21
Fibber,

This is the name of the file you are looking for FDGv2_SBD5_Dauntless.zip,

Fibber
June 24th, 2014, 16:37
...........thanks for the confirm. That is the file that I DO have but I got a bit of mental confusion with the FDG and FDG2 references for applicability.

BTW Thanks again for the Dauntless campaign. Am setting it up ( as you can gather) and will try it soon when I have some time. Justa point of curiosity though. Is the "Read-Me" meant to be blank? Just want to make sure my D/L, or unpackaging, didn't get messed up.:wavey:

Talon
June 24th, 2014, 16:56
Yes, please do so.

I will pick up in the Solomons and add to Talon's USMC work. I have intended to give my older brothers from WWII some air campaigns for quite some time. I had intended to do USMC work in CFS2 upon completion of Tuskegee Airmen and got sidetracked by Aces and now BPF, both worthy endeavors.

So, after completion of BPF, I AM going to do USMC air missions. I will work around what Talon and others have already contributed and research the archives of information and try to build undiscovered territory for the Marine Air Wing of the Pacific Theater.

MaskRider, I join UncleTgt in requesting that you work your magic on the islands used by the USMC during their flight toward the Japanese homeland.

I am not yet up to the task of tackling scenery work, even with all of Achim's help.

DDog

DD,

I have some for 1943 also flying Corsairs. FDG donationware have some Corsairs for the time period.

There's still alot that can be done in the Solomons starting in 1943-USMC, 44th P-40s,USAAF P-38s and RNZAF.All made big contributions in the march up the Solomons.I'm going to leave it to someone else to do any of those camapigns.I think it's time for someone new to give it a shot.

Devildog73
June 25th, 2014, 00:29
DD,

I have some for 1943 also flying Corsairs. FDG donationware have some Corsairs for the time period.

There's still alot that can be done in the Solomons starting in 1943-USMC, 44th P-40s,USAAF P-38s and RNZAF.All made big contributions in the march up the Solomons.I'm going to leave it to someone else to do any of those camapigns.I think it's time for someone new to give it a shot.

Talon,

I have those Corsairs in my storage files. Great ideas!

Thanks,

DDog