PDA

View Full Version : Painters? A PaintShop Pro Question

falcon409
June 17th, 2014, 07:08
I am doing a livery for the Velocity XL in PSP Ver8 and I'm having a problem as illustrated below. I have panel lines as the top layer, then a shadow effect under that, then a parts label layer and finally the base texture. when I added the shadow, I noticed that it only showed in areas that bled off the base texture. . .but as the line crossed into the base texture the shadow disappeared. Likewise, if I hide the base texture, as you can see, the shadow is visible again. How is that even possible? If all levels sit above the base texture, how are they being knocked out?

Bjoern
June 17th, 2014, 10:10
Conflicting layer blending modes, maybe?

fsafranek
June 17th, 2014, 20:51
Is the color of the shadow too close to the color of the base texture? Sometimes you have to change the color of the shadow to get a contrast to make it show.

mgr
June 18th, 2014, 01:20
Is the color of the shadow too close to the color of the base texture? Sometimes you have to change the color of the shadow to get a contrast to make it show.

Don't know which "blend" effect you use for the panel lines and shadow, usually "multiply" works best. If they become too strong, just reduce the percentage of the layers.

Marcel

falcon409
June 19th, 2014, 19:52
Problem solved as a result of everyone's suggestions. I went back and looked closely at the shadow layer by offsetting it a bit. The panel lines are 1pixel wide/solid black (0,0,0), on a texture that's 4096x4096. So the drop shadow for that single line virtually disappears when I "blur" the shadow layer. What I did was repeat the process 5 times, stacking one shadow on top another and then merged those layers together to get a dark enough shadow and then just a touch more blur and it's fine now. Thanks all!

trucker17
June 19th, 2014, 19:58
Glad you got it figured out.:very_drunk: