PDA

View Full Version : Tempest Mk II Question Please..

HouseHobbit
June 11th, 2014, 10:45
After researching This Bird and watching several Videos made in the UK about them.
I was building a few ETO missions after D-Day, 6th and 7th ground attack missions.
With the MkV Tempest

Do we have a MkII Tempest anywhere?
Just asking, liked the radial engine it had.

hairyspin
June 11th, 2014, 10:52
Yes we do Owen, almost! I just need the completed sound pack and it's going up on the library.

HouseHobbit
June 11th, 2014, 11:05
Much Rejoicing!!
Thanks for this..MkII..
Found lots of combat reports, decided to drop the ground attack and build the Dogfights in the Tempest..
Now building Dog fighter missions..
I likes shooting up Fw 190A/D's and Bf 109's.
Tempest fun..
Oh yea!

F/O D. E. Ness (Can.) of 56 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 29 September 1944:

I was flying Blue 2. When my section got into the melee I fired at three passing huns without result and then overtook one flying in my own general direction. I was doing about 300 (3500 revs) and overhauled the e/a steadily. He saw me and half rolled and the dived, but I was able to keep behind him although his initial acceleration slightly increased his lead. He dived through thin cloud. When we broke cloud he was at an angle of 20 degs to my line of flight about 300 yds in front of me, still diving steeply. I fired a quick burst without allowing enough deflection. I then closed to about 100 yds and fired a 3-second burst, angle of 10 degs, ¾ ring deflection, seeing strikes on the starboard side of the fuselage. The e/a continued in its dive, hit the ground in a field, and exploded. This is confirmed by S/Ldr. Cotes-Preddy.
I then climbed to 3000 ft and saw another 190 1000 ft below me diving away towards home. I overtook him very fast, doing approx 350, and as I closed he turned in to me. I fired a 1-second burst from about 200 yds, 20 degs deflection, seeing no strikes. We then had a turning match lasting 4 minutes, mainly at tree-top height, with the hun apparently anxious to go home. I found I was able to hold him in the turns, in the course of which I fired about 3 short bursts seeing strikes on the starboard wing and a large piece coming off the port wing. I noticed vapor trails from both aircraft. The hun then climbed and did a stall turn, immediately repeating the manoeuvre. The second time I overshot. Coming back for a final attack I saw his hood fly off and the pilot baled out, the parachute opening the a/c turned and dived straight at me. I took evasive action as it shot past and continued earthwards.
I claim 2 FW 190’s destroyed. 5

HouseHobbit
June 11th, 2014, 11:14
Yea got some good combat report For the Historical missions flying the Tempest.
This day alone downed 46 German aircraft on these sorties.

F/Lt. J. H. Ryan (RCAF) of 56 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 4 January 1945:

I was Red 1 on an armed recce of 6 a/c to Paderborn-Bielefeld-Munster. When in the Osnabruck area Yellow & Blue Sections of 4 a/c went down to attack a train, & I remained as top cover with Red 2. As we were reforming I spotted 2 a/c orbiting about a mile due E. & slightly below our height. I reported them & turned after them, followed by Red 2. We closed behind the orbiting huns & we both had a squirt at each E/A, before I finally selected the No. 2. I closed in behind him to about 300 – 100 yards, firing a 3 second burst with very little deflection. I saw a few strikes on the port wing root, & something flew off, which may have been the hood. The 109 began to weave gently from side to side with the prop just windmilling, & it looked as if the pilot intended a force landing. I had to break away & as I came in again, the pilot baled out from about 3000 ft. & the a/c crashed into an open field. The chute opened. The rest of the formation witnessed this combat. Cine used.
I claim 1 Me.109G destroyed. 43
F/O D. E. Ness (RCAF) of 56 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 4 January 1945:

I was flying Red 2. I followed Red 1 when he reported two a/c to starboard & turned in towards them. I then saw 2 Me. 109’s orbiting at our height 1500 yards away. He selected the nearer hun & I took the second, who had climbed about 1000 ft. during our approach. I climbed after him. After a short dog-fight, & just as I was in position to fire from 100 yds. almost line astern, the hun broke away, did an aileron turn, & jettisoned his canopy. I followed him down about 2000 ft., & then fired a short burst from 150 – 50 yds., 10° to starboard, & saw strikes on the starboard wing. The pilot completed his baling out, & the a/c crashed & exploded in an open field. The pilot delayed pulling his ripcord to about 1000 ft., & the chute opened. I took a cine picture of his chute draped over a cottage & the a/c burning on the ground. I saw a pilot bale out from another aircraft & my combat was witnessed by the other five members of the squadron.
I claim 1 Me. 109G destroyed. 44
P/O N. J. Rankin of No. 80 Squadron recorded on his Combat Report of 4 January 1945:

I was flying as Black 2 on a armed recce in the Bielefeld area and while the Squadron were flying on an Easterly course approx 20 miles S.W. of Osnabruck. Huns were reported N.E. of Rheine. White 4 then reported 6 long-nosed Fw 190's 2,000 ft above us on our port flying East and commencing to orbit to stbd in line astern. Black leader gave the order to attack and I made a climbing turn to port closing to 500 yds from the stbd of the leading e/a which then rolled on its back and spiralled down. I followed and noticed two other Tempests below me already on the hun's tail, one of which was firing from line astern. The e/a pulled out at approx 2,500 ft and began a 20° dive to the East. When the Tempest in front of me broke off his attack. I closed to 600 yds from line astern and fired one 1-sec burst but saw no results. I was slowly decreasing the range when the hun dived below 10/10 cloud and levelled out approx 200 ft from the deck. I lost sight of him for a few seconds when the cloud obscured my view and when I saw him again he was flying straight and level approx 300 yards in front of me. I closed rapidly (IAS 450) to within 200 yds and fired one 1-sec burst allowing 2 - 3° deflection as he commenced a slight turn to stbd. I saw approx 15 strikes over the cockpit on the starboard side of the fuselage below the cockpit. The stbd wing dropped and the e/a went straight in crashing in a wood believed to be approx 10 miles S.S.E. of the Dummer Lake. The hun did not jettison his L.R. Tank during the engagement. My cine-camera was exposed. I claim 1 Fw 190 destroyed, shared with F/Sgt Crook. 45
F/Lt. D. C. Fairbanks, DFC of 3 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 4 January 1945:

I was flying Red 1 on a sweep and Armed Recce to the Paderborn area. Control called me and stated that friends were mixing it in the Hengelo area. I had trouble in understanding the name and asked for a vector which brought me to the aerodrome East of Hengelo. I found three Spit. formations and investigated each without any luck. I patrolled in this area for a few minutes and was heading approx West at 6000 feet when I saw a lone Spit approx 4000 feet below on my Port side climbing by some low cloud. I saw an aircraft turn in behind him and recognized it as a FW 190. I called up and immediately went into a dive after it. The E/A saw me before I was anywhere in range and half-rolled for the deck. I did the same and ended up at approx 800 feet and slightly on his Starboard side and 800 yards behind. I jettisoned my tanks and closed the range. I was 300 yards astern and on the deck and the E/A did a steep climbing break to the right and I was able to close rapidly and fired from 100 yards closing to approx. point blank range, seeing strikes on the Starboard wing and small pieces fly off. I overshot the E/A and half rolled and he did the same and went back for the deck flat out. He seemed to pick up speed quicker than I at first but then I started to close the range again. He was about 350 yards ahead of me right on the deck and I followed slightly above and astern. Once again he did a steep break upwards and to the right. I repeated the same attack as at first opening fire from 100 yards and closing to point blank range I saw strikes on the Starboard wing. About half of the E/A was below my nose and my No.2 said he saw strikes at the wing root by the cockpit. The E/A half rolled again and I overshot and did the same. I came out and started to repeat the performance but the E/A went down and did a slight aileron turn and went straight in from approx 800 feet and blew up.
Climbing up from this with my section I saw a 190 turn onto my No.2’s tail. I gave a break and he fired a burst from approx 500 yards at red 2. I gave chase from approx. 800 – 1000 yards but the e/a went into some low cloud and I lost him.
I claim 1 FW 190 destroyed 46

popsaka
June 13th, 2014, 07:53
Hey Owen, where'd ya get those great recounts? :applause:

Cees Donker
June 13th, 2014, 12:42
Awesome stuff to read indeed!

Cees

Daiwilletti
June 13th, 2014, 16:29
Those accounts are great. It seems the Tempest had a distinct superiority. Certainly in CFS3 I can take on just about anything with a Tempest. :icon37:

gecko
June 13th, 2014, 17:49
Until it met the Ta 152H that is. I'm only aware of one instance, but it went poorly for the Tempests.

HouseHobbit
June 13th, 2014, 22:16
I have been a great deal of research, the past couple months building a huge ETO Historical set for the ETO team.
I have found Many sites(links) during these searches
here is one for the Tempest.

http://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Tempest/Tempest.html

Building historical missions for the team is a pain in the Neck with the research.
Rather miss my Hysterical work now..
:jump: :jump: :jump: