PDA

View Full Version : Calclassics AI in DX10

delta_lima
June 10th, 2014, 09:44
Hello all,

Anyone successfully install/convert the Tom's Calclassic AI packs in DX10? Most of the aircraft show up as either

completely invisible (visible only in that their shape is contrasted with scenery against a building, if that makes sense)
partially visible/skeletal
fully visible (very few of them)

So having tried all the permutations within Steve's Scenery Fixer, is the only solution to go one by one, and do some kind of texture conversion using the aircraft toolbox? Or is there a batch type texture conversion tool to do this for all the AI?

Thanks to any retrol/Calclassic'ers out there.

DL

Roger
June 10th, 2014, 09:57
Hi DL, have you tried the 8 bit texture converter in the Fixer toolbox?

delta_lima
June 10th, 2014, 11:20
Hi Roger - thanks for the quick reply.

I saw it there, and tinkered, but

1) I wonder if I'm missing some of the FSX Accel sdk components

2) Not sure of the process - I pick one aircraft at a time, or one paint? I tried it both ways, and it didn't work - but as I said, it's likely the sdk I need to reinstall in the new system.

I will reinstall the sdk and advise ... but some basics on how to do the 8bit conversion in the toolbox would be great.

thanks,

dl

Roger
June 10th, 2014, 11:39
Hi DL,
You need at least imagetool installed to use the toolbox. This can be downloaded (google) but make sure it is the FsXA version. Then toolbox will ask you to find the path to imagetool. Once set you can point "textures/ convert 8 bit textures" to the texture folder you want to convert.

delta_lima
June 10th, 2014, 12:38
Thanks Roger,

When I get home, I'll just install from the disks - can't seem to find the download at the moment.

The salient point, though, is it appears the conversion is individual texture folder by individual texture folder. At well over 1,000 liveries, that could take a while! At least I know ...

thanks,

DL

Roger
June 10th, 2014, 14:17
A batch file with the necessary convertion script might be the best option. Any takers to write a batch file?

delta_lima
June 12th, 2014, 15:17
Just as I also posted on the AB thread - reinstalling the Fixer, checking the 8bit option has made all the Calclassics AI come alive mostly properly. No need to do toolbox conversions.

Can't say definitely they're all there because I'm having a problem recompiling the "world" ai traffic .bgl for some reason. But the MATS traffic bgl converted nicely, and so all the C-97s, C-118, C-121, etc all show up nicely. A few issues with prop disks- but hey, it's AI ...

I can't wait to fix the traffic bgl - I'll have "retro" only AI in my FS world now - woohoo DX10.

thanks again all,

DL

Roger
June 12th, 2014, 23:07
Hi DL,
I had the 8 bit checked for all aircraft but it caused an issue with carenado FsX native aircraft where the blurred prop showed with a black ring. So if you have any issues with native aircraft you may have to start converting individual aircraft.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?87519-Carenado-C182-RG-prop-issue

Adamski_NZ
June 12th, 2014, 23:28
I had the 8 bit checked for all aircraft
I've always steered clear of this "sledgehammer to crack a nut" option - on the basis that the vast majority of my aircraft will be fine - and I'd sort the oddballs out individually.

I have hundreds of aircraft - far too many paid ones for my meagre budget - and stacks of pretty old freeware stuff. I'd say 99% of them work without too much interference from me. That in itself is a testament to how good the Fixer is - as I used to run a payware "Aircraft Converter" (I think it was called) and that didn't convert half as many.

To be honest, many of the aircraft I have had problems with probably didn't work in DX9 properly either, as they were [old] FS9 models.

Adam.

delta_lima
June 13th, 2014, 08:03
Way to pop a guy's happy bubble, guys ...:p87:

J/K. Thanks for the tip, and time will tell as I start to investigate how various models look with 8bit. I guess the sledgehammer appeals to the extent that I really want my Calclassics AI to show up - and that's literally scores of models x scores of repaints each.

I've got a couple of Carenado planes, so I'll check them out. Would be a bummer to have to undo this, since it was also the cure for those yummy ports ...

Anyway - cheers for the great help.

dl