PDA

View Full Version : I was wondering....

Cees Donker
June 7th, 2014, 22:06
Is the mission you see in the intro of the game, the destruction of the bridge near Liege, done for the game? If so, where can I find it?

:wavey:

Cees

Pat Pattle
June 8th, 2014, 08:18
Hi Cees, I'm pretty sure it's not in amongst the missions, what's the history of that action? have looked around the internet but can only find 1940 reference. Excuse my ignorance! :-)

hairyspin
June 8th, 2014, 10:16
Is that referred to in Closterman's book The Big Show? Not sure about that, though.

grover1
June 8th, 2014, 11:03
Hi Cees,

I could put something together for you.

I've been meaning to do something like that for a while now, but haven't really had a chance.

If you'd like to help me out with it, you're absolutely more than welcome to! Send me a PM with your e-mail if you're interested

Have a good day,

Chris

Cees Donker
June 9th, 2014, 00:58
Hi Chris,

I started collecting information. Maybe it's time to renew my Gmax routine and build a bridge like this one. :jump:

Cees

Pat Pattle
June 9th, 2014, 03:23
Maybe it's time to renew my Gmax routine and build a bridge like this one. :jump:

That would be great! I was hoping you would do some models for cfs3 :-) If you need any info regarding the necessary Gmax hierarchy etc. let me know.

Cees Donker
June 9th, 2014, 12:22
A bridge or a hangar is within the reach of my skills, a plane is another level. So don't get yer hopes up.....

Cees

Pat Pattle
June 9th, 2014, 12:27
Actually I was meaning models of buildings, like the ones you've made for the other sims :-)

Cees Donker
June 9th, 2014, 22:09
There was a time I made hangars for fs2004 with opening doors, the vicinity of the plane triggered that to happen. What I don't know is how to place models in CFS3. But I can read......

:mixed-smiley-010:

Cees

popsaka
June 13th, 2014, 08:06
Cees, if you could have any luck at all with a more advanced bridge for CFS3 I'm quite sure the entire community would go nuts with appreciation!!! :encouragement:

Cees Donker
June 14th, 2014, 11:54
It will take me a while to refresh my knowledge.....

Cees

Pat Pattle
June 15th, 2014, 21:52
A good start Cees, please keep us informed of progress. :)

Cees Donker
June 16th, 2014, 00:07
Sure.....

Cees

Cees Donker
June 16th, 2014, 12:20
Got to have an idea how to place this in CFS3! I'm at a loss. Nothing is on the internet afaik.....oh boy! :banghead:

Cees

Pat Pattle
June 16th, 2014, 13:20
There are 2 ways of placing objects, via the global layer or by placing it in a mission (the easiest method). Are you ready to export a test model yet?

Pat Pattle
June 16th, 2014, 23:01
Here's a link to a gmax model hut I made for cfs3:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dye194byrj1v289/ACC_hut_Manston.zip

This is about as basic as you can get. It has the normal, damaged and rubble states and hierarchy required for cfs3 but no LoDs.

The models can be a lot more complicated than this and the modellers around here that know what they're doing will probably shriek in horror at the way I've done it! :-)

Cees Donker
June 17th, 2014, 02:25
I'll take a look Pat. I've got so many questions!

Cees

Cees Donker
June 17th, 2014, 09:28
Some questions:

Question 1: I must export the bridge I made. As what? (M3D!)
Question 2: Are there any other proggy's involved that I should install? (No, the plugin is in the Gamepack!)
Question 3: The mission builder gives a very crude map that's not exactly precise? Is there a way to place an object on the spot that you want?

I'm reading in the meantime, reading everything I can lay my hands on!

Cees

Daiwilletti
June 17th, 2014, 13:38
Hi Cees, take a look at this utility: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=159&id=15412

I don't know if the map is any better than the official mission builder, but this tool is very handy for precisely placing a group of buildings and vehicles together. For instance some pillboxes and flak stands for each end of your bridge, and perhaps a few tiger tanks on the bridge itself?

For locating your bridge, you could take the coordinates from Google Earth for the bridge location, and put the coordinates into the global layer.csv file manually on the line where you put your bridge. Then you copy your global layer.csv file into the Global Layer folder of your terrain SDK and run the mkGSL bat file to creat a new GSL.lib file for putting into your install.

best,
D

Daiwilletti
June 17th, 2014, 13:40
just another quick thought: Is there a Pegasus Bridge in the global layer.csv file for the relevant 1944 era of ETO? That would give you an example to work off.

Cees Donker
June 17th, 2014, 21:27
Thanks D for the utility! I'll take a look

Pat,

I counted seven objects in the file?

I'll study it some more.

Cees

Pat Pattle
June 17th, 2014, 21:48
Some questions:

Question 1: I must export the bridge I made. As what? (M3D!)
Question 2: Are there any other proggy's involved that I should install? (No, the plugin is in the Gamepack!)
Question 3: The mission builder gives a very crude map that's not exactly precise? Is there a way to place an object on the spot that you want?

1) Yes the model needs to be exported as an .m3d

2) You will need a paint proggy that will convert or work with .dds files and a text editor such as Notepad to work with the .xdp and .xml (facility) files.

3) This is how I do it...
i) get the co-ords from Google Earth.

ii) In the MB place your facility and aircraft at that point. (the co-ords show in the bottom left corner)

iii) Fly the mission and check that your facility is in the right place. The cfs3 world and the real world are out of sync so in the case of a bridge the chances of getting it right first time are slim!

iv) Fly around the area and select the correct location, hit the Z key to bring up the cfs3 info lines to check where you are. I usually fly into the ground at the point where I want to place the facility and pause the game a few feet above the ground. Note down the co-ords displayed on screen and use these in the mission builder or global layer.

v) It's then a case of going to and from between the MB and game to get it just right.

Is there a Pegasus Bridge in the global layer.csv file for the relevant 1944 era of ETO?

There certainly is along with a couple of missions ;)

Pat Pattle
June 17th, 2014, 22:00
Attached are a couple of tutorials I made for airfield construction in cfs3, the same method applies to general facilities too.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rzgarbyyarvpor5/ACC%20Guide%20to%20airfield%20construction%20in%20 cfs3.zip

edit: I mention in pt2 that I couldn't get the vehicles moving in the facilities at the time. I've since found out what I was doing wrong, the discussions are on these threads.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?77842-moving-vehicles-in-airbases&highlight=halifax

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?78093-RAF-Scampton-Animation-Pack-Uploaded&highlight=halifax

Cees Donker
June 18th, 2014, 00:48
Thanks Pat! These are more than welcome!

BTW: Are the seven objects that form your Manston building connected in some way?

Cees.

Pat Pattle
June 18th, 2014, 01:41
BTW: Are the seven objects that form your Manston building connected in some way?

Only by the hierarchy. Somewhere on the left of the top menu in gmax is a link tool (am at work at the moment so can't check).

The normal model is linked to the node 'bldg_normal', the damaged model is linked to 'bldg_damaged' and the rubble model is linked to 'bldg_rubble... now hear the words of the lord! :biggrin-new:

The damage box is not linked to anything and there can be more than one and they share the same name in a building model.

The actual model part can have any name and be made of many parts but the bldg_normal nodes etc must have that exact name to work in game.

My model should really have a top node to which the bldg_normal, damaged and rubble are linked to (it can have any name). This just keeps things tidy and ensures that parts are displayed in the right order in game.

Hope that helps!

Cees Donker
June 18th, 2014, 14:06
How are these dummies made? I can always borrow one from your building, but I'm too curious!

:jump:

Cees

hairyspin
June 18th, 2014, 21:29
They're Helper objects Cees, on the Create tab in Gmax.

http://imageshack.com/a/img829/9219/fqdw.jpg

Pat Pattle
June 18th, 2014, 21:29
How are these dummies made?

If you can't see the tab panel it's selected from the 'customize' drop down.

Pat Pattle
June 18th, 2014, 22:13
Oops sorry Tom, double post!

I'm still on the simple layout you'll notice :-)

Cees Donker
June 19th, 2014, 03:46
Ah! Thanks guys! I'm getting visions of a new De Kooy for CFS3. Still a long way to go, but I can dream can't I? First the bridge. The next hurdle to take is the texturing.

Cees