PDA

View Full Version : How To Disable Heading in Autopilot?

LTCSZ
January 22nd, 2009, 14:20
I know there is a way to do this...I just can't remember how! I would like to disable the heading hold function in some autopilots that is automatically activated...In other words, leave altitude hold active and disable heading hold so that I can make course adjustments while the AP holds altitude...Thanks...

Steve in Kansas

harleyman
January 22nd, 2009, 14:26
It should be there in the radio stack on most models.....I think????

LTCSZ
January 22nd, 2009, 14:29
Nope, not always...Some AP's automatically turn it on when Altitude Hold is activated and I need to know how to deactivate it...I think it is a fix somewhere in the fsx.cfg file

cheezyflier
January 22nd, 2009, 14:42
CTRL+H should do it

srgalahad
January 22nd, 2009, 15:08
Nope, not always...Some AP's automatically turn it on when Altitude Hold is activated and I need to know how to deactivate it...I think it is a fix somewhere in the fsx.cfg file

"Some autopilots" indicates it's not a universal thing so it is likely in the coding for the gauge, not the sim. It may be that a given a/p defaults to activating with Hdg hold turned on (and holds the current hdg, but in many cases it's LVL (wing leveler) which inhibits roll/yaw but doesn't actually hold the heading. If so, there will be a LVL button on the A/p that will be lit if that happens.

In some old style Sperry Autopilots you can't have one without the other

Since a few a/p's do have quirks I've found that it's better to go to the a/p controls, select what you want to be ON then turn on the autopilot itself.

Milton Shupe
January 22nd, 2009, 15:38
Add/change these two statements to the Autopilot section of the aircraft.cfg.

use_no_default_bank=1
use_no_default_pitch=1

EDIT: This works in FS9 but I can't speak for FSX.

LTCSZ
January 22nd, 2009, 16:15
Thanks Mr Shupe...That's the fix I remember...I will report back on how and if it works in FSX..

Steve

Brian_Gladden
January 22nd, 2009, 17:27
I just click the heading hold button on and off once... Does it for me.

Brian