PDA

View Full Version : im at a loss.

Daveroo
June 4th, 2014, 14:46
Colin has be trying to help me get my milviz skycrane..but NOTHING is working...ive tried everything he suggested,yet i always get a "invalid file" message.

WarHorse47
June 4th, 2014, 15:46
Colin has be trying to help me get my milviz skycrane..but NOTHING is working...ive tried everything he suggested,yet i always get a "invalid file" message.Need more info...

Is this a download, install, or load and fly issue??

Daveroo
June 4th, 2014, 17:33
well i can begin the download from the server or whatever,but then when i try to open the .zip to get to the files..i get this message that tells me the file i downloaded is an invalid file type....

anthony31
June 4th, 2014, 17:47
Are you sure it is a .zip? and not .rar or something odd.

A program like 7zip could be useful here as it can open just about any sort of compressed file.

Or use a download manager program. Sometimes these can be better than using your web browser to download something as they can be better at preventing lost data.

AussieMan
June 4th, 2014, 21:57
I started using Internet Download Manager about 5 years ago and liked it so much I actually brought the programme instead of using trial version.

Daveroo
June 5th, 2014, 05:51
I started using Internet Download Manager about 5 years ago and liked it so much I actually brought the programme instead of using trial version.

i did try that program,but it was constantly trying to download things ive never heard of.if i know how to make it block those files yet not mess up files i want...ill try it again.

nio
June 5th, 2014, 12:10
it may be that if you right click on the download button and then hit 'save as' that you will succeed.

hth

best

nio

fsafranek
June 5th, 2014, 14:39
You might also make sure that any anti-virus program is actually finishing the download. I know that depending on
the file extension, McAfee on my Win8 system (might even be Win8 doing it for that matter) stops at the very end
and says it isn't going to finish unless I approve it.
:ernaehrung004:

Daveroo
June 5th, 2014, 16:15
i installed the internet downloader tool talked about up above,and when it asked me to save the file and start the download..i changed the thing from .zip to .exe like colin said and presto...i got it done..all installed and ready to fly...thanks guys

Roadburner440
June 5th, 2014, 17:13
I will say that anytime I download anything from the server it is a .rar file. I personally use 7-Zip to open all of that stuff, and it works great. Best of all it is free. That is the only thing I can think of after reading this post that may be causing the invalid file type. Cause you should be able to unzip it, and then get a .exe file which is a known file type.. As far as an anti-virus deleting the file it would just instantly do it, and give you a pop up saying that it deleted a file that it thought was a threat. Norton does that to me all the time with the Flight1 stuff. I would try 7-Zip though if you haven't already as it sounds like there is some sort of unpackaging issue. If the file wasn't finished downloading/corrupted it wouldn't let you unzip it at all. Unfinished downloads usually don't even show up as their normal file type. On my system they stay as a blank file or sorts if they aren't automatically deleted by Windows.

Rami
June 6th, 2014, 04:22
Daveroo,

I also tend to lean toward an anti-virus angle. This has been a problem with small .exe files included in packages by some users with Avast. It would not surprise me if a similar situation is occurring with you.